We Need A New Exotic Family! (For the anti-Rylak-familyians)

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Re: We Need A New Exotic Family! (For the anti-Rylak-familyi

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

If we want a Pterrowing family as an exotic, I pray that the skyscreamers (MoP Pterrowings) Get some sort of way to switch between ground and flying animations. I can deal with Rylaks being fully grounded (Even though it doesn't make much sense) But Skyscreamers I wouldn't want fully grounded like the current "Dire Beast" one. It could be done such as how bears and birds of prey have "Trick" and "Sleep" put in a command for the Skyscreamers to move on land or airborne.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

PorrasouxRex wrote:If we want a Pterrowing family as an exotic, I pray that the skyscreamers (MoP Pterrowings) Get some sort of way to switch between ground and flying animations. I can deal with Rylaks being fully grounded (Even though it doesn't make much sense) But Skyscreamers I wouldn't want fully grounded like the current "Dire Beast" one.

I think all creatures that can toggle (animation-wise) should get a toggle. Ravagers, rylaks, skyscreamers, kunchong (when they do become tameable), dread ravens (if/when they do become tameable), etc.

I should ask Muffinus if they can do something like that. It should be easy enough. Just make sure a certain model, when tamed, gets a special skill (like trick), that toggles flight or land.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I will be casting my vote for pterrordaxes and roc/fire bird/pheonix.
the pterrordaxe family would have two models and a reasonable amount of colors to work with. you could even add a few more options to that list of they just tossed in armored versions of the skyscreamers. Personally I would not be opposed to the skyscreamers remaining grounded. I would like it if they had some kind of option that would at least let them hover for a few seconds but If they remain on the ground it would not be a deal breaker for me. Their ground movements seem pretty smooth to me. Since they are large flying beasts they could even replace the slow fall we lost when dragonflies were removed. (maybe add a short flying animation there?) They have enough possible members of the family to make the family a little more diverse and robust than many of the families we have now and everyone knows that they have been one of the most popular request for a long time. Often seen as being neck and neck with hydras and stags- which we now have!
they would also fit in well as exotics since most of their fellow dinos require something special in order to tame them. direhorns need a special item and devilsaurs are exotic.

I think a roc/fire bird/phoenix family would be another great choice. With all the big birds we are finding in Wod they could make a nice fit. I think this family is special due to the very large amount of potential family members we already have out there. ji-kun and Cm style phoenixes, the fire lands druid flight form and Alysrazor models, the TK phoenix and the dark phoenix, the storm crow, the new fire birds popping up in beta and of course dread ravens. perhaps even the feathered raptors- depending on how one might choose to define the family. there are a lot of options and mixing and matching that could be done. Especially if the choice to make a new bird family is made before they decide where the terror claw mobs should go.
finding some special abilities for them would be pretty easy as well. a fire aoe, a feather fall or a battle rez would all fit in well for them.

personally I like some of the other suggestions here but a lot of them feel like they should be additions to existing families. kuchongs to silithid, fire dogs to either dogs or core hounds, sea snakes and maybe even mana wyrms added to the serpent family. I would like to see all of them become tamable at some point but in my own personal opinion, I would like to see them fleshing out existing families.

at this point I feel like the guys over at Blizz has already done so much that I would not be terribly miffed if there was no new exotic family at launch. I would rather have them scrap rylaks and give us something a few patches into the new xpack than get stuck with flightless chimeras forever.

Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

I'm also casting my vote for pterrodaxes/pterrowings/skyscreamers, as my alt who has a kaiju-themed stable has been wanting Rodan for years now. Perhaps they could pick up the Slow Fall ability the hook wasps were going to get before those were shoehorned into the wasp family?
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

SylviaDragon wrote: personally I like some of the other suggestions here but a lot of them feel like they should be additions to existing families. kuchongs to silithid, fire dogs to either dogs or core hounds, sea snakes and maybe even mana wyrms added to the serpent family. I would like to see all of them become tamable at some point but in my own personal opinion, I would like to see them fleshing out existing families.

at this point I feel like the guys over at Blizz has already done so much that I would not be terribly miffed if there was no new exotic family at launch. I would rather have them scrap rylaks and give us something a few patches into the new xpack than get stuck with flightless chimeras forever.

Agreed with this. A lot of these creatures don't need to be their own families. I think it's a good thing if they add more creatures to existing families. Still too many families with only a model or two. Shale Spiders and foxes may be the biggest offenders.

And yeah, while an extra family, one that is exotic, would be awesome, I won't be too miffed if they don't create one. Way too happy with what we've gotten already. Hope they do add that alternative rylak model, though, of course.

And I do think it's imperative that they eventually add an ability that can toggle between ground/flying animations for those pets who have those animations, with the growing list of pets that have these animations. So yeah, I will try to keep suggesting that, too.

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Shale Spiders and foxes may be the biggest offenders.
I remember there was discussion about 'Shale Spider' turning into 'Shale Beasts', which will open the doors for things like Gyreworms and maybe other 'rocky' creatures. So if that's the case, we don't need to worry as much about extra models *there*.

I agree with foxes, however. As I said, I'm a 'I want around 10 models minimum' person, my own self. Which is why when it comes to families, I try and find ones that have a fair number of creatures to tame.

Mana Wyrms has a good number, especially if they rotated the mana serpents back into it (although I'm sure too many people would be ticked off for that). Likewise with Perrordaxes, if they added in the newer models, which I would personally be all for if they went that way.

Likewise with the Thunderbeasts. Mushan, Kodos, Thunder Lizards, could *easily* be grouped into the same family, and thus fill it out nicely with a lot of variety.

I used to be unsure and unhappy with the idea of pterrodaxes, because there were almost no models. However, as people have pointed out, between pteranodons and Skyscreamers, we're getting a good enough collection that I could see it working quite well. So I'll throw a vote in with them as well as my first two.

Another exotic possibility for me would be griffins and hippogryphs, but I worry there wouldn't be enough tameable models to make that 'minimum' group. Likewise with wyverns, but wyvern has always been a personal desire more than a serious 'DO EET!', because of the narrow number of types in the family. :D
Come see Kurasu's stables!
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

A little info to add to the mix, if we were to have another family in the Rylaks place, there would HAVE to be one of them as a beast represented in WoD... Just saying.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Magnakilro
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Eonar

Unread post by Magnakilro »

How bout Pachyderms? Elekks, WoD Elekks and Mammoths
Avatar made by the awesome Senna-umbreon
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

SpiritBinder wrote:A little info to add to the mix, if we were to have another family in the Rylaks place, there would HAVE to be one of them as a beast represented in WoD... Just saying.
I *think* the mana wyrms, pterrordax/skyscreamers, and thunderbeasts have representation in WoD, no? Mana wyrms, I would assume so, considering they were originally born in Burning Crusade.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Re: We Need A New Exotic Family! (For the anti-Rylak-family

Kurasu wrote:
SpiritBinder wrote:A little info to add to the mix, if we were to have another family in the Rylaks place, there would HAVE to be one of them as a beast represented in WoD... Just saying.
I *think* the mana wyrms, pterrordax/skyscreamers, and thunderbeasts have representation in WoD, no? Mana wyrms, I would assume so, considering they were originally born in Burning Crusade.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. What I meant by represented in WoD, was a beast that has a new/updated model created in/for WoD. For eg: talbuks, hydra's, dread ravens.

­
­
­
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

That said, if I had to pick a new exotic family to replace Rylaks, maybe something like Roc (Giant Bird) family? That way they could include te new dread ravens that are currently untamable (which has 2 other skins from the dread raven warbirds), potentially the thunder birds from throne of thunder that are poping up in WoD too? Also the cool new "slow fall" ability ability that was designed for Hookwasps (and now Rylaks) could transfer across quite easily too?

­
­
­
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Well i am pretty sure the trolls bring skyscreamers with them to wod and their models got updated recently so that idea can still hold water. And there have been lots of new big birds/fire birds added in wod sporting new or recently updated models so there is still hope for that too!

I am not personally interested in the elekks- just don't like them- but i must agree that they too have new models as well and would fit the bill.
have not seen any new mana wyrms yet, which kind of surprises me. Also no thunder lizards come to mind in wod. am i missing something there Kura? :?

PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

Idea for Pterrowings abilities:

(Command Flight) Toggle to switch between ground and flying animations. For normal Pterrowings this has no effect.

Primal Screech: Increases Attack Speed of all party/raid members.

Skycall (Tribute to the ability used by the ones on the Isle of Giants) Hurls a gale of wind at enemies in a cone in front of the Pterrowing, increasing magic damage taken.

(Exotic Ability) Whirlwind: Creates a gust of wind below the hunter's feet, giving him/her slow fall.

Thoughts?
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

SylviaDragon wrote:Well i am pretty sure the trolls bring skyscreamers with them to wod
Which trolls? Was it not the Zandaliri that were the trolls responsible for the introduction of the Skyscreamers? Was it mentioned that they have a presence on/in Draenor?
From what I know of the Darksprear don't have any ties to any beasts from the isle of giants, and as much I think the Skyscreamers and pterrordax are pretty cool, do they have any referance point in WoD, quest or lore related?

­
­
­
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

SylviaDragon wrote:Also no thunder lizards come to mind in wod. am i missing something there Kura? :?
*I* might be. I'd have to go back through but I thought there was something thunderbeast-y that had been made. Unless I'm only thinking of the clefthooves. Which is very likely, come to think of it. Rats!
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

I *will* note that not *every* family we've gotten in the past has needed updating. When Basilisks became tameable in MoP, MoP didn't update any basilisk models.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Qraljar wrote:
Xota wrote:
I like the other ideas, except I'm not so hot on the fire elemental beasts as hunter pets (pun intended).
Ji-kun hatchlings will probably already go in bird or raptor family, and the larger ji-kun birds will probably go in the bird of prey family.

Also, we already have shale spiders, flame spiders, flame tarantulas, etc.

Shale spiders have never been shown as creatures that can be tamed, but they can. Whereas for the hellhounds, there is a precedent in the form of an actual hunter boss, who owns two of them. They have dog-like instinct, and they're cool upgrades to the current available demon dog model we have.
Shale beasts don't rock my world either. I don't personally think a fire elemental boss having fire elemental beasts as pets is a precedent for players to get them as well. I understand you do, and I don't mind that you do. But I just don't think hellhounds, flametalon, firecat, or firey phoenices should be hunter pets.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

PorrasouxRex wrote:
(Command Flight) Toggle to switch between ground and flying animations. For normal Pterrowings this has no effect.

Yes, I hope all creatures that can toggle between flight and ground animations would get something like that. Also, for normal pterrordaxes, it could be possible, that once bats get a walking cycle/animation (if ever), it will be shared by pterrordaxes, which is when i would make sense for both bats to have it, and for it to work for pterrordaxes. But that's just my own simple thought. Nothing that has to happen. I do think bat walking animations are way overdue, though.

Xota wrote:
Qraljar wrote:
Xota wrote:
I like the other ideas, except I'm not so hot on the fire elemental beasts as hunter pets (pun intended).
Ji-kun hatchlings will probably already go in bird or raptor family, and the larger ji-kun birds will probably go in the bird of prey family.

Also, we already have shale spiders, flame spiders, flame tarantulas, etc.

Shale spiders have never been shown as creatures that can be tamed, but they can. Whereas for the hellhounds, there is a precedent in the form of an actual hunter boss, who owns two of them. They have dog-like instinct, and they're cool upgrades to the current available demon dog model we have.
Shale beasts don't rock my world either. I don't personally think a fire elemental boss having fire elemental beasts as pets is a precedent for players to get them as well. I understand you do, and I don't mind that you do. But I just don't think hellhounds, flametalon, firecat, or firey phoenices should be hunter pets.
And there is a precedent when it comes to elemental creatures, and it's also been shown that they have bestial behaviour and intelligence. So I don't see the issue. "It feels wrong" isn't really a particularly good argument, imho. If it looks like a beast (or at least partially like a beast) and acts like a beast, I don't see why it shouldn't be tameable. Most arguments I see against it boil down to sentimentality, which I just don't feel is a particularly good argument.

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

SpiritBinder wrote:
SylviaDragon wrote:Well i am pretty sure the trolls bring skyscreamers with them to wod
Which trolls? Was it not the Zandaliri that were the trolls responsible for the introduction of the Skyscreamers? Was it mentioned that they have a presence on/in Draenor?
From what I know of the Darksprear don't have any ties to any beasts from the isle of giants, and as much I think the Skyscreamers and pterrordax are pretty cool, do they have any referance point in WoD, quest or lore related?
The Zandaliri . Sadly I am having troubling finding much to back up my claims at the moment so perhaps I have been wrong. All i can say is that I did hear mention from various places that the Zandaliri would be showing up in Draenor at some point- this was months ago in early beta though and I have not heard much about it since. We *usually* end up seeing evil trolls pop up in every xpack so I did not bother to check up on its development. I did see a lot of sky screamers and Zandaliri trolls during the first mmo champ release of datamined models. guess I will have to wait and see.

I still support the family but it looks like I may be mistaken to assume they will be as relevant as I had hoped.

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I know a lot of people wish for toggle for rylak flying and ground animation but I prefer smething else. I want rylak to use ground snimation when it walk, or idle and use fly when it is running or using updraft. That way inho it would have a more organic movement feel to it.