Emerald Drake Source Discussion

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Emerald Drake Source Discussion

Unread post by Lisaara »

So are the protos, which are more effort than RNG drops. :/ Much like the Blazing, they aren't classic.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Quivering wrote::? Still makes me wonder why they are seemingly scrapping the poll if they are going with the achievement for the emerald drake. :?
There's still a rep grind component in the meta. But this way, they don't have to shoe-horn emerald proto-drake into a Draenor rep (or add it directly to an obsolete reputation). And if they're making solo-DS QoL changes, then Blazing should be just fine. No need in making emerald drake a freebie.
Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Re: Felfire Hawk

Unread post by Thwip »

Thwip wrote:WoWhead is saying 4%. Azure's = 3%. Blue = 4% Onyxian = 1.3%.
I'mma drag these stats back to the forefront again as someone in the thread said Ony was a 0.2%, which isn't right. The Vitreous and the Northern Wind drakes are slated as having a 0.8%, but I got these both in less then 100 kills. Ony is not hard at all. You go in, you kill boss. If you have multiple 90s, do them all every week, that's what I did for mine. I'm just -worried- about not having the ability to do DS, but if it can be two manned next xpac, then I'll be doing it if need be for that green drake. Seeing Quivering's last post as given me a lot of hope though. Most of my concern was over mechanics, because I raid lead that place when it was current.

And my stance on the Blazing =/= not wanting to put in effort. Please don't assume that it is. I've put in a lot of effort to get the drakes I have already. I am only missing the Blazing out of all those and I only ever saw it once. Part of my personal issue with it was mostly due to the worry of not either being able to run through it alone or as a two man since I really don't know that many people in game that like to do things like this. Plus I'm also not a raider, so I'm not always in high end gear, but I am an avid mount collector. [202 as of right now.]

I just feel like adding -that- much RNG [Each on a one week cooldown, no less.] to it does not make for fun and engaging gameplay material. And as most people know, it usually never is. It's also weird to me to make someone jump through that many hoops for a classic drake as well.

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Thwip wrote:
Thwip wrote:WoWhead is saying 4%. Azure's = 3%. Blue = 4% Onyxian = 1.3%.
I'mma drag these stats back to the forefront again as someone in the thread said Ony was a 0.2%, which isn't right. The Vitreous and the Northern Wind drakes are slated as having a 0.8%, but I got these both in less then 100 kills. Ony is not hard at all. You go in, you kill boss. If you have multiple 90s, do them all every week, that's what I did for mine. I'm just -worried- about not having the ability to do DS, but if it can be two manned next xpac, then I'll be doing it if need be for that green drake. Seeing Quivering's last post as given me a lot of hope though. Most of my concern was over mechanics, because I raid lead that place when it was current.

And my stance on the Blazing =/= not wanting to put in effort. Please don't assume that it is. I've put in a lot of effort to get the drakes I have already. I am only missing the Blazing out of all those and I only ever saw it once. Part of my personal issue with it was mostly due to the worry of not either being able to run through it alone or as a two man since I really don't know that many people in game that like to do things like this. Plus I'm also not a raider, so I'm not always in high end gear, but I am an avid mount collector. [202 as of right now.]

I just feel like adding -that- much RNG [Each on a one week cooldown, no less.] to it does not make for fun and engaging gameplay material. And as most people know, it usually never is. It's also weird to me to make someone jump through that many hoops for a classic drake as well.
Thaaaaank you. You worded this beautifully.

LisaaraPokefarm

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I would like to ease your worry, DS is close enough to be soloable now that with 10 more levels and basic gear it should be doable by most people in WoD. Blazing Drake won't be the only thing you can get there too. You can work on achievements (for mount) and there's the experiment mount. Plus transmog. I think there's going to be better built-in pugging tools, so you can even set up an achievement run, and reserve your drop (don't reserve too much).

Also, maybe look around for a guild that has people who like to do that sort of thing. You don't have to join, if you like your current guild. A guild like that should be fine with having game friends in other guilds.

If the drop rate of Blazing drake were as low as the really rare mounts, then I would agree that that much RNG at the and of a long raid would be unreasonable. A 1% drop rate would mean it would take around 70 runs in order to get a 50% chance. But with a drop rate around 4%, that's only 17 runs. I think that's not far from a happy medium between "freebie" and "overwhelming tedium". Of course, not everyone will probably agree. And if you don't, then I'm sorry I can't provide any comfort to your worry.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Yeah I still don't agree. If it were really 4%, I would've seen it drop atleast once with all the DS raiding I did.

LisaaraPokefarm

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Junrei wrote:Yeah I still don't agree. If it were really 4%, I would've seen it drop atleast once with all the DS raiding I did.
Except RNG doesn't work that way. Checking my Madness kills, it says I have 57 kills. I think I did LFR version once (not sure if that's included), so let's call that 56 kills. I've seen 2 Blazing Drakes. So I have a 3.57% drop rate. Pretty close.

In contrast, I had well over 200 Tempest Keep clears (I think I was over 240) across my account before Alar dropped, but wowhead says that has a 2% drop rate...
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

I'm really surprised its the blazing drake causing angst. RNG wise Onyxian is harder and technically she doesn't look like a "classic" drake either as she has a totally different model from the red, blue, bronze etc. Nether drakes are certainly not classic either if you want to examine it even closer.

Plus farming DS (which it has been said will not be hard) you have a chance at 2 drakes atleast and not just one, hell if you want a challenge to mix it up go heroic and try for the handmaidens drake (3!!). After blazing ICC 10 last night I'm fairly confident DS will be a fun farm to do (acheivement drake 4!!) and will net alot more mount chances than other rng drake requirements for the acheivement.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

vanilli

Unread post by vanilli »

I don't understand the hate against the Blazing Drake either. Yes a lot less people will have it but mount achivs are mainly there for mount collectors who most likely have all of these or most, I myself only recently got into collecting mounts (since the mini pets have lost their appeal since you can buy them on all the AH nowdays.)
I like most miss the Blazing, I doubt I could solo it but you know what? I like that I can't it means getting a group running achiv meta runs for people who don't have it. Since I saw it I have made DS achiv runs and HC runs on all my alts and mains, and most within the group have thanked me and some even said if any of the mounts drop they would also roll on my behalf for me and let me have it. It helps bring the community together again even if it just a few of us :)
I do hope the meta stays the same, though I'm sure most just thought it would have the aspect colours.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

For me, myself, the hate I have against it is that the blazing drake isn't a 'basic drake'. Neither is Onyxian, and I would happily remove it as well. :) I wanted the drakes to be part of the actual Dragon Flights, as opposed to just 'let's pull a bunch of drakes out'.

Black Drake = Black Flight
Bronze Drake = Bronze Flight
Blue Drake = Blue Flight
Twilight Drake = Twilight 'Flight'
Nether Drake = Netherwing Flight

Et cetera.

Meanwhile, the Blazing Drake and Onyxian aren't part of this. Neither are the stone dragons, as far as I'm aware.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

Thwip wrote: Ony is not hard at all. You go in, you kill boss.
This is pretty much why no one really fusses about Ony. Out of a collective 79 kills on my account those yielded 3 different drake drops. There is only 4 mobs that stand between you and her. There isn't 7 other bosses standing between you and your shot with RNG. That's the great thing about having a Lockout holder, however. [If you can get one.] It's really just the getting from Point A to Point B to get the lock set up that's most of my concern so far.

I would also not say that I'm angsting or hating either. :| I'm concerned how this is going to play out for me on a personal level and my usual playstyle and I'm putting forth my concern/opinion towards the discussion. I'm sure everyone here voicing their discontent about it is feeling the same. It's never a good feeling when you only have one/two thing/s standing between you and something you're working towards and it's tied up in dealing with RNG. It took me these last two years just to get my shards together to get Alani and that was having straight up farming days.

I'm sure it'll be fine when it comes down to it and I already pointed out earlier that I'm not against putting in the effort even if I disagree with the idea of dealing with the RNG. I'll just have to get my main decently geared up and drag a friend or maybe make a day with some of you guys. That'd be fun too. Xota's last post did make me feel better about the situation as well.

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

I have a great idea! How about they add every non-retired mount with the word "Drake" in it's name....

Feldrake
Mottled Drake
Albino Drake
Azure Drake
Azure Netherwing Drake
Black Drake
Blue Drake
Blue Proto-Drake
Bronze Drake
Cobalt Netherwing Drake
Drake of the East Wind
Drake of the North Wind
Drake of the South Wind
Drake of the West Wind
Green Proto-Drake
Ironbound Proto-Drake
Onyx Netherwing Drake
Onyxian Drake
Phosphorescent Stone Drake
Plagued Proto-Drake
Purple Netherwing
Red Drake
Red Proto-Drake
Rusted Proto-Drake
Time-Lost Proto-Drake X
Twilight Drake X
Veridian Netherwing
Violet Netherwing Drake
Violet Proto-Drake
Vitreous Stone Drake
Volcanic Stone Drake
Sandstone Drake
Blazing Drake

.....that way there will be not one drake left out and everyone should be happy right..... Right? :D

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Jurz
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Scryers, Earthern Ring, Feathermoon

Unread post by Jurz »

I keep seeing people bring up the fact they haven't seen Blazing so it's drop rate can't be 4%, it has to be lower, but that's not how Statistics works. It's more like every time you run it there's about a 4% chance you'll see it. You can run it for YEARS and still not see it technically. Yeah, that's awful luck, and it sucks even more when you see people getting when they've only ran it a few times, but that's how it is. I honestly don't mind Blazing being apart of it as long as DS is soloable which they claim will be. Sandstone was the only one I was worried about cuz I can't save up that much gold to save my life XD

I feel like they can't have you only get the flight mounts cuz that would be TOO easy. It's still an achievement. While I don't think it should be too hard, personally, it should still require something more. IDK. That's just me, though, I guess. Netherwing is quite the challenge for me but that's cuz I HATE rep grinding XD it's probably easier nowadays though.

Love that they're adding the mount :) Only really need Blazing to get it, myself. I really love the Fellfire Hawk (I know that's another discussion, but I just wanted to throw that out there XD)

Sig drawn by the amazing Lupis! and avatar drawn by the wonderful Senna!

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

SpiritBinder wrote:I have a great idea! How about they add every non-retired mount with the word "Drake" in it's name....

.....that way there will be not one drake left out and everyone should be happy right..... Right? :D
I feel like this forum should have a "like" button cause you sir have an awesome idea there! :lol:

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

SpiritBinder wrote:I have a great idea! How about they add every non-retired mount with the word "Drake" in it's name....

[cut]

..... The scariest part of this is I'm only two mounts short from this list. :shock:

Actually you might be onto something, even if it's meant to be in jest. I really liked the Crazy for Cats battle pet achievement. Why not have a large list and have the meta be "Obtain 25 of the mounts below."
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Kurasu wrote:For me, myself, the hate I have against it is that the blazing drake isn't a 'basic drake'. Neither is Onyxian, and I would happily remove it as well. :) I wanted the drakes to be part of the actual Dragon Flights, as opposed to just 'let's pull a bunch of drakes out'.

Black Drake = Black Flight
Bronze Drake = Bronze Flight
Blue Drake = Blue Flight
Twilight Drake = Twilight 'Flight'
Nether Drake = Netherwing Flight

Et cetera.

Meanwhile, the Blazing Drake and Onyxian aren't part of this. Neither are the stone dragons, as far as I'm aware.
Pretty much. This sums it up for me. I wouldn't be upset if they removed Onyxian too even though I have the mount.

LisaaraPokefarm

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

SpiritBinder wrote:.....that way there will be not one drake left out and everyone should be happy right..... Right? :D
You forgot Drake lul
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

What do all the Drake Mounts have in common? They all can't fly in Draenor.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

^ they also will be the bane of our existence when you get people on drakes stacked atop quest givers. It's bad enough the store mount was a dragon, the only 'dragon' we can actually ride as the others are all drakes or undead, can be ridden around in BG's. You try to be stealthy and...suddenly your dragon changes colour! The enemies swarm you and your last words are "damn you rainbow dragon..."

Be pleased that the fey dragon isn't on the list. Onyxia bugs me. As I've said, she's a black drake. Or dragon. Or wyrm, I don't know her age exactly. It should be one of the two that you need to get the emerald. Baby black drake or mummy black drake. They're the same flight for goodness sake!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Quivering wrote:
SpiritBinder wrote:.....that way there will be not one drake left out and everyone should be happy right..... Right? :D
You forgot Drake lul
I actually don't know who that is. :/ But I know this Drake:

Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.