New Character Models Discussion - Update! Fem Gnome Faces

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Re: New Character Models Discussion - Update! Trolls!

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I'm not clicking with the male trolls, although they do look quite nice. I love the females though! Its makes me kind of regret deleting my old troll druid. her lack of eyelids, blank fish face and stiff run just made me fall out of love. >.< but between the fem trolls and tauren I may have to roll new toons just to enjoy how nice they look now.

I am a bit underwhelmed with night elf males at the moment. WIP I know but that run makes me cringe and I was kind of hoping both elves would get a more practical swim animation. (you may be one with nature but that doesn't make you a dolphin. >.>)
I was also hoping they would get a slightly thicker waist. my poor druid and dk always looks so strange and skinny with their board chest/shoulders and such a thin little waist. >.<

Thanøs
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Thanøs »

I feel like the update to trolls is really lazy, the males in particular. We still have that horrible hunched over look that makes all the armor look like crap, we still do not wear boots, and the changes they have made do not seem to be much of an improvement over the original. You have to see a comparison to notice it at all, where as with all other races its very clear and upgrade has been made.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

I disagree; I see a difference immediately, and I've _never_ played a male troll (nor do I plan to). I mean that said, I let my mother borrow my beta account for a few minutes yesterday so she could look at the models and all she could say was "I mean it's nice, but look at how little [her female troll] moves when she's idle compared to this [clicks over to human females]" and I'm just like, mom you clutch at the lack of movement for female troll idles like it's your favourite stuffed animal and bring it up literally every time we ever talk about anything visual in this game get out oh my god.

I mean I'm not going argue that the female troll idle set has always kind of blown, which is a consequence of being a last-minute model but I feel like it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of thing: if you add a new idle, some people will absolutely hate it and cry bloody murder. If you don't, my mother will absolutely hate it and cry bloody murder. Given that I have to live with my mother I think I'd prefer the new idle but I can see why it might not happen, haha.

I'm having extremely mixed emotions about the human males. Overall they look WAY better, but I can't seem to roll one that captures the look of one of the three male characters I've ever played, nor can I seem to create one that looks like my guild's offtank (who is currently female cos his name was taken on Korgath when we took advantage of the FCMs but still). At least they don't look as... goofy? as the human females (which I'm pretty sure is still all in the eyes and eyebrows) but :| Feels weird, man.
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Doc Privas
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Doc Privas »

I think that trolls keep the essence of the original model the most, and the male aren't probably finished yet. :)
Humans are a lot better now IMO, but I don't think that I will ever play as one, they just feel so boring to me, even after the update ;)

Cloudstrider - Highmountain Tauren Hunter
Argent Dawn EU

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Thanøs wrote:I feel like the update to trolls is really lazy, the males in particular. We still have that horrible hunched over look that makes all the armor look like crap, we still do not wear boots, and the changes they have made do not seem to be much of an improvement over the original. You have to see a comparison to notice it at all, where as with all other races its very clear and upgrade has been made.
Male trolls have always been hunched....ingame and in lore. o.o; They weren't going to suddenly remove that.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

New Night Elf Male Model

Unread post by Danielfboone »

I'm half and half on this one. I like how the muscles are more smoothed out but I'm not fond of the no neck look. I also think the ears are too big and I hate the new running animation. The run looks too much like the Pandaren.

All in all, I may decide not to display the new models when WoD goes live.

(Yes I'm back in the beta but probably not for long. This newest build seems buggier than ever)
Lisaara

Re: New Character Models Discussion - Update! Male Night Elf

Unread post by Lisaara »

Added a bunch of images to the front from mmochampion. New Night Elf Male models looks nice!

LisaaraPokefarm

pawprintedheart
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, WrA

Unread post by pawprintedheart »

Every time I see the new female trolls I squeal. They are perfect. Now I can't wait to resub and play again!
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

I like how the muscles are more smoothed out on the Night Elf male but there are things I don't like. The ears are too big and I don't like the no neck look. The thing I dislike the most is the new running animation. It looks too much like the Pandaren run.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

The male elves aren't that bad. The ears have always been big, I thought?

I think its still in need of refinement, of course.

LisaaraPokefarm

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Well, I dislike the new run but the new walking animation is better . Can't have it all I guess. The new model also seems broader making it look shorter.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

The running could use some improvement, I agree. I'm sure they'll do touch ups on it.

LisaaraPokefarm

Joonces
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring

Unread post by Joonces »

I really love the new trolls. I may finally get mine past level 20!

As for the Night Elf males, they seem the most unfinished of the recent additions. The ears/face still looks a bit rubbery, and they aren't really posed right. They have a slight hunch --- too many hours at the keyboard? ;-)

You can see it here:
Smyelmdar
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem/Kilrogg/Nagrand EU

Unread post by Smyelmdar »

I really really like the new female trolls. And they have a much better run animation now! That's the most awesome thing about them I think. :)
And also I just love the new human males. Everything about them is so much better than the old model.

I'll be waiting on the highland, with its wonderful serenity.
Where the stars glow and the brooks flow, that's my way of life.
When the mountains on the highland, and the nature is surrounding me, when the wind blows, that's all I need.

Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

Thanøs wrote:I feel like the update to trolls is really lazy, the males in particular. We still have that horrible hunched over look that makes all the armor look like crap, we still do not wear boots, and the changes they have made do not seem to be much of an improvement over the original. You have to see a comparison to notice it at all, where as with all other races its very clear and upgrade has been made.
I'm also with Xella here. I see an immediate difference, but that also could be due to me being an artist. For one, the muscle structure has been seriously defined and the way the anatomy fits together has been upgraded immensely. Their faces are amazing and so far is the biggest change. I'm still hoping that the ears, hands, and feet will get a little extra love before they're done. They don't look like they stepped out of the N64 platform anymore now to me.

I like trolls for that posture because I feel it makes them more intimidating when they stand upright to loom over people, although, I will say I wouldn't mind at least one of my trolls in a more upright position. Mostly because I love the fact that they could seriously look a Tauren in the eye if they did. However, it's the same argument I keep seeing about Orcs/Undead, for every person who hates it...there is someone who loves it. Perhaps they'll look into other hunched races when they do fiddle with that possible orc posture option.

They do have lore/racial reasons why they do not wear shoes. They're stated as having a high discomfort with them. I've honestly always assumed that it's the back of their feet that causes the discomfort with shoes and now that we can see the back of their feet better...I'm even more certain of it. Their feet are somewhat birdlike if you really look at the shape, but the back side isn't quite pronounced to that level. It still has the nail, which would imply that there is extra bones in the back half as well.

I have always felt that those two things were part of their endearing charm for me. The only thing that makes me sad over either of them is the lack of fur.

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

Joonces wrote:I really love the new trolls. I may finally get mine past level 20!

As for the Night Elf males, they seem the most unfinished of the recent additions. The ears/face still looks a bit rubbery, and they aren't really posed right. They have a slight hunch --- too many hours at the keyboard? ;-)

You can see it here:
To tell the truth, I rather like the new posing. They seem almost... predatory :)

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Male night elves are the least exciting I think. Then again, I don't play alliance so it doesn't bother me. They look, in my eyes, pretty much the same just with slightly fatter faces. They're kinda 'meh' to me. So yeah, not exactly the most exciting model blizzard have updated, but I'm sure someone out there loves them :D
Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

Aaaah, look at my troll mage!

DEM TEETH. DAT FACE. I am seriously happy right now. He's so grumpy looking and I love it.

Image Image

He's got a bit o' crazy mage going on too. I cannot wait for this xpac!

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: New Night Elf Male Model

Unread post by Wain »

I'll merge the above post by Daniel into the main thread just because there's a lot of discussion there on this topic.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Myrrmi wrote:
Joonces wrote:I really love the new trolls. I may finally get mine past level 20!

You can see it here:
To tell the truth, I rather like the new posing. They seem almost... predatory :)
Definitely agree. They look more fierce...chiseled. x3

LisaaraPokefarm