Potential new hunter pets in WoD

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Re: Potential new hunter pets in WoD

Unread post by Xella »

I'd love that too, but... in theory, that's what they were doing with the new character models and it hasn't quite worked out that way so far. They're doing their best but it's just... they're not quite doing it right. Maybe with non-player models it'd be different (that new corehound is pretty dang spot on so there's definitely hope!) but oh man would that be a lot of work for very little payout. Maybe if they ever stop doing expansions and actually launch a sequel mmo instead, haha.
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

First off I'll say it right now... I don't know much about the technical side of things, lol. But with non-player models they wouldn't have to do nearly as much work would they? Unlike player models they wouldn't need a crap ton more polygons, they don't have to worry about facial rigging or whole new animations. It'd be perfect if they'd do exactly what was done with the core hound, HD textures and smoother edges.

I'm not saying it still wouldn't be a lot of work, I know it would be. And this is all just hypothetical and me dreaming, xD

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

Well, it varies on a model-by-model basis. I think most of the problems that the core hound had (if it can be said to have problems) were all in the model itself, but like... the majority of the problems that a felhunter has wouldn't be solved by updating the model—they'd have to update the animations on the skeleton (or possibly create a brand new skeleton for the model, which to be honest would probably be faster given how the really really old models like the felhunter are animated). If the only did one and not the other, the new model would feel as weird and out of place as the old one did.

I'm not saying it won't happen but I think, especially with things like warlock or hunter pets, it's a much bigger risk because you're looking at something that, like player character models, people are attached to and are going to get really, really nitpicky if they're not perfect. Remember when they replaced the succubus model? Looking back on it now, the new succubus IS better, but there were a lot of people who were really mad about it when it was happening. There might still be people out there who are mad about it, I don't know. That's a weird example, to be fair—the skeleton didn't change as far as I can recall, it was a pure model+texture update (which is why her animations are still really weird and she floats back and forth across the floor when she's idle like the felhunter and male night elf do) and it's a model a lot more people are going to be looking at a lot closer than they were your average coyote (just due to the nature of the, er...) but yeah.

I'd be really worried for my ghost wolf in particular, since (given the "new" sporebats) I doubt Sporey'd change much. I'd be incredibly unhappy if he got updated and his update was technically better but didn't capture the look of him as I see him (see: shaman GW glyph), because that's the exact same trap that my hunter's new model is falling into. She's technically better, but personally she's far, far, far worse.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see both animate and inanimate lowbie stuff updated, but there's just so much that can go wrong and there's so little benefit to doing it that I don't think it's very likely :(
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

I don't think they'd update all of the game. Remember when we thought that was what project Titan was? Them revamping everything? I do. As Xella is hinting at, some people gain an emotional attachment to their pets (I know I do.) and if Felrius got an update I wouldn't view it as the same Felrius I'd raided with. While I'm hoping for an updated diseased wolf I don't think they'll add one. I contemplated updating Felrius when Draenor got here to one of those black or dark grey wolves (when we entered the alternate timeline, his sickness had faded as in that timeline he'd never hunted in Felwood. But I'm not going to do it.

It's be lovely for everything to get a once over, but I doubt it'll happen.
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

zedxrgal wrote:
Niabi wrote:I know I'm sounding like a broken record here but ... still no update on tamable frogs? The expansion release is almost upon us and I fear our little froggie friends have been cast aside or simply forgotten. They were one of the few beast species I was really hoping for.

I dunno, that pic doesn't really do anything for me and.....uhh.... ALL GLORY TO HYPNOTOAD!
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Doesn't appear a taming pass has occurred. Couple common mobs (like black wolves) still arent flagged.

However, that being said...

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Looks like they got changed to undead. I kinda figured that would happen.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Hurts my heart, but you're right. not terribly surprising.

Strange thing is if you tamed one before, it bugs out now. Its considered a minion, has base health and takes up a slot but is invisible in stable menu (how Yaks did in MoP beta)

But the sea serpent is still a pet, though now untameable. I thought it was because it went undead but other mobs have done this that remained beasts. Just struck me as odd.
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Unread post by Bendak »

Yup my existing skeletal wind serpent turned into a phantom pet that I could summon but not dismiss. Had to abandon. RIP my boney friend.
Eyes of the Beast - My Hunter Blog
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Lupen202 wrote:Honestly I'd love if they did a whole-world graphics makeover. The trees alone in WoD are so amazing compared to vanilla/bc. I love the current sabers and coyotes to name a few, and would hate for them to be changed in any way, but if they'd just make the textures look superior and would smooth out the edges they'd still keep the look.
The above is what I was meaning. :) I just want the models updated like they did the red corehound. Smooth them out a bit. Cats like Echey and the Rake could really use a spit n polish. Not replace just update.

Edit: :cry: @ the loss of the bony wind serpent. *sad sigh* I figured this would happen but still.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Don't get why the skeletal windserpent had to be removed. May as well remain while it's tameable. It's not like it breaks any rules or anything. But whatever. A loss, but what are you gonna do about it?
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

zedxrgal wrote:
Lupen202 wrote:Honestly I'd love if they did a whole-world graphics makeover. The trees alone in WoD are so amazing compared to vanilla/bc. I love the current sabers and coyotes to name a few, and would hate for them to be changed in any way, but if they'd just make the textures look superior and would smooth out the edges they'd still keep the look.
The above is what I was meaning. :) I just want the models updated like they did the red corehound. Smooth them out a bit. Cats like Echey and the Rake could really use a spit n polish. Not replace just update.

Edit: :cry: @ the loss of the bony wind serpent. *sad sigh* I figured this would happen but still.
Yes! That's what I was meaning too by 'update'. :3

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Quivering wrote:Doesn't appear a taming pass has occurred. Couple common mobs (like black wolves) still arent flagged.

However, that being said...

No...Skelly! What did they do to you?!
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Unread post by Bendak »

The thing is, we have the Undead Eagle skin... so I'm not sure why it's off limits for the wind serpent. Oh well. http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/undeadeagle.html
Eyes of the Beast - My Hunter Blog
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

And we have several "ghosts" as well as the diseased wolf and bear which frankly look far more like zombies than just 'sickly'. I mean.. their guts are hanging out through holes in their sides but they trot around just fine thanks.

Also the Felrot Coursers are still tamable thanks to the Stag pass and they look even more dead than the bears and wolves. I just don't get why THESE are arbitrarily not okay.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Tweet at Muffinus and see if he might consider re-adding them? Bring up the eagle.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The reasoning is that the others still have some flesh on them and have been considered severely diseased rather than completely dead. This isn't my rationale, but this is how they see it.

However, another way to consider it might be that they have already stretched their interpretation of what is alive purely to get us more cool things. There's certainly no benefit to them. So if they're tameable, but something a bit more skeletal isn't, we might have to be content that that is their limits :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

What about ghost boars, wolves, cats ect. aren't they all the way dead? :mrgreen:

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Rawr wrote:What about ghost boars, wolves, cats ect. aren't they all the way dead? :mrgreen:
Nar, they aren't dead.....

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Aettis
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Emerald Dream

Unread post by Aettis »

Wain wrote:The reasoning is that the others still have some flesh on them and have been considered severely diseased rather than completely dead. This isn't my rationale, but this is how they see it.

However, another way to consider it might be that they have already stretched their interpretation of what is alive purely to get us more cool things. There's certainly no benefit to them. So if they're tameable, but something a bit more skeletal isn't, we might have to be content that that is their limits :)
I find that reasoning very odd. The undead eagle is dead. Or undead. It's got nothing on its head as far as flesh is concerned. Same with that gazelle. It might as well be gutted. :| And ghost pets by the dozens! I DONT BUY IT BLIZZARD. >:(
Ren of <Haven>, US Proudmoore