WoD Mount Bugs and Uncertainties

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

WoD Mount Bugs and Uncertainties

Unread post by Wain »

These are just a few notes SB and I have made while curating the Draenor mount changes for Warcraft Mounts. These are things which are either mount bugs/typos on the Beta, or things which may be bugs but we're not sure...

Appearance issues:
  • the Kor'kron War Wolf has changed appearance on the Beta. On live it wears the reddish armour (see the link), but on the Beta it wears the black. The one complication with this is that in the mount journal it has always been displayed with black armour. So has its appearance on live been unintended (and it's fixed in the Beta)? Or are both the mount journal and the Beta showing the wrong appearance?
  • the Trained Snarler is showing up in the journal as the black ("shadow") wolf skin, but it seems almost certain this is a bug and it it is intended to be the brown (' wolfdraenormountbrown' ), which is how we're depicting it on WCM. Why do we suspect that? Well, (i) the intermediate stages (Snarler-In-Training and Young Snarler) are both brown, though perhaps they decide to celebrate graduating as a mount by getting a dye-job, (ii) the icon is the brown wolf one, and (iii) the black non-armoured wolf mount is already used for the Garn Nighthowl. So if it stays as it is it's going to be a duplicate. - FIXED!
  • it's also possible, though this is pure speculation, that the Ironside Warwolf is using the wrong appearance and is intended to have the unused "Iron Horde Wolf" look. Not only because of the "Ironside" bit in its name but also the fact that the Alliance equivalent reward is the Armored Irontusk, which has the cool Iron Horde elekk look. It doesn't seem so likely they'd make the Alliance mount so unique, yet the Horde equivalent another colour of a generic WoD mount.
Text issues:
  • trivial naming nit: the Trained Silverpelt is purple. Maybe it originally had the silver appearance and they forgot to rename it when it changed.
  • pedantic mount quote nit: Drake of the North Wind is being given the flavour text, "They sicken of the calm who know the storm." Assuming they intended to quote Dorothy Parker, the correct quote is "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm." It makes a little more sense with the correct grammar :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Re: WoD Mount Bugs and Uncertainties

Unread post by Krysteena »

I'm a bit miffed that while the alliance get a cool iron horde Elekk the horde get a less stunning wolf mount...hopefully they'll change it, as you said. But it's an awesome wolf all the same. Just...perhaps it shouldn't pale in comparison to the alliance one. Plus, if it looks as it does we'd have 3 wolf mounts that look basically the same, aside form from. The Kor'kron one, the vicious war wolf and then the ironhide wolf...

Only 2 months now...I'm so excited!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, I don't want to turn this into a lobby thread :) I'm only listing those things where there are clues that they might be unintended.

If anyone is aware of any others please post them here. Nathaniel Chapman on Twitter kindly offered to pass them on to the right person so I linked him to this thread. :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The Trained Snarler is now fixed, and is the colour we expected it to be :)
Petronius

Unread post by Petronius »

Nice to see these issues properly pointed out!

I'm probably a little late to the party, but I have some uncertainties of my own and I think they warranted posting, so I made an account.

- The first one is the Dusty Rockhide as the Council of Exarchs Exalted reward. While i'm not sure about the mounts used by Draenei NPCs, the unused Shadowhide Peraltusk, given its colors and description, seems like a much better match for a Draenei/Alliance reward in Shadowmoon.

- Second, the Armored Frostboar and the Armored Frostwolf from the Advanced Husbandry and Stable Master achievements both seem decidedly Frostfire -therefore Horde - oriented. It makes me wonder if Shadowmoon/Alliance counterparts weren't intended, such as perhaps the Armored Razorback and the Dusty Rockhide (as an alternative to it being a Council rep reward).
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Lupen reported on this thread that the Kor'kron War Wolf on the beta now matches its appearance on live, and the journal is now fixed to match the proper appearance on live as well (on live the journal is actually incorrect!).

Also, thanks for those suggestions, Petronius :) You're right, they probably do look more Horde than Alliance. Though given the expansion maybe both sides having stuff that looks Orcish might be considered ok. Not sure. Your suggestions are definitely worth considering, anyway.

It might also be that those are the only two mount types with fancier versions. The elekks and talbuks are all just saddled.