Void Hounds: Demons or Beasts?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Arcanimus
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Mal'Ganis

Re: Potential new hunter pets in WoD

Unread post by Arcanimus »

Any word from the devs about these cute pups:
Ziroth wrote:at first i never liked the new rylaks, but since i got into beta a week ago, tamed the rare 91 white one, im totaly gona tame that XD

tho what puts me off blizz spawns a non elite one after taming him just a few mins after. it dosent feel fun anymore imo.
That's how Vignettes work. They're only "rare" until you kill them once, then they're considered a common spawn mob and no longer drop their "bonus" loot.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Arcanimus wrote:Any word from the devs about these cute pups:
Ziroth wrote:at first i never liked the new rylaks, but since i got into beta a week ago, tamed the rare 91 white one, im totaly gona tame that XD

tho what puts me off blizz spawns a non elite one after taming him just a few mins after. it dosent feel fun anymore imo.
That's how Vignettes work. They're only "rare" until you kill them once, then they're considered a common spawn mob and no longer drop their "bonus" loot.
I doubt those guys will become tameable(personally, I don't want them to) because they're demons and very demonic looking. Just doesn't look like a hunter pet. If anything, warlocks should get those.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Arcanimus
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Junrei wrote:I doubt those guys will become tameable(personally, I don't want them to) because they're demons and very demonic looking. Just doesn't look like a hunter pet. If anything, warlocks should get those.
They set a precedent with Chromaggus. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't, but I also wouldn't be too shocked if they made some kind of "warp hound' rare using the model in a zone somewhere.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Arcanimus wrote:
Junrei wrote:I doubt those guys will become tameable(personally, I don't want them to) because they're demons and very demonic looking. Just doesn't look like a hunter pet. If anything, warlocks should get those.
They set a precedent with Chromaggus. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't, but I also wouldn't be too shocked if they made some kind of "warp hound' rare using the model in a zone somewhere.
Chromaggus looks nothing like a dragon, imho. :P Compared to that pup there that looks like a full on demon.

LisaaraPokefarm

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Actually, to give it some perspective, that was the same argument used against ALL core hounds back in Lich King. They were classed as demons and are now beasts. You could easily say they look like demons, in a real-world classical sense. More so than this guy, even.

In WoW, there doesn't seem to be any physical form that is actually representative of a demon. A demon seems to be just any being of any shape that has become corrupted with fel energy to whatever point suits the designers at the time. A bunny rabbit could be a demon. Hell, there probably is one that is. There are fire spiders in Talador that are demons. I don't know of any lore surrounding the origins of void hounds, but they seem to be creatures of the same group that spawned core hounds, but ones that adapted to the void rather than to fire. The Legion uses them, which could well be what makes them demons. Shaffar has one as a pet, which could conceivably not be fel corrupted and could be classed as a beast, though it's a demon currently. Who knows? Just based on the past history of core hounds I wouldn't rule it out.

It's always possible warlocks will get them, but I don't really think it's likely at this stage. Warlocks are much more restricted in their pet range so it's a Big Thing when new ones are added, and I suspect any new introductions will showcase only newer and better quality models. I don't imagine them introducing this old, lower poly model now and I don't expect it'll become a pet for any class unless existing ones are suddenly made tameable for hunters.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

I suppose so. I was just basing it off of appearances compared to the corehounds we have. The corehounds currently don't look demonic. They look like Cerberus mated with Ragnaros or something(LOL! That's a bit of an image) whereas the void corehound looks very demonic looking with its eyes all over the place and such, reminding me very much of D&D demons.

LisaaraPokefarm

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Not much is known about them, except that they truly are demons since they house a near unlimited amount of fel energy. They are entirely unrelated to core hounds.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Valnaaros wrote:Not much is known about them, except that they truly are demons since they house a near unlimited amount of fel energy. They are entirely unrelated to core hounds.
Pretty much what I thought. Only similarity is the size/body structure.

LisaaraPokefarm

Arcanimus
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Void Hounds: Demons or Beasts?

Valnaaros wrote:Not much is known about them, except that they truly are demons since they house a near unlimited amount of fel energy. They are entirely unrelated to core hounds.
Small problem with this assumption: they were likely in service of Illidan, as their master Culuthas was in direct defiance of Socrethar. Although their models do not reflect it, they could be free of fel corruption, and instead use Arcane magics housed near the Relequary of Souls to sate their thirst for magics. For all we know, these pups could be an advanced form of Felhunter.

Just a theory, however.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Some were, yes, but many - if not the majority - served the Legion. In the Sunwell raid there are a few near the latter portion of it. Further, Immol'thar - the Void Terror in Dire Maul - is being used as a source of fel magic for the Highborne there.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Re: Void Hounds: Demons or Beasts?

Unread post by Castile »

I think we've had this debate before but i always thought these guys would be a better "advanced" demon option for warlocks over the floating bunghole (aka felpuppy 2.0). I seriously didn't understand the leap from a felpuppy to a floating eye - atleats the others made sense!

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I've held the stance that the void hound should be the "upgrade' to the fel puppy for warlocks instead of the floating pulse butt that they have...all the other demon upgrades LOOK like upgraded versions of what they were except the fel puppy's upgrade...I really wish they would change it to the void hound.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Makoes wrote:I've held the stance that the void hound should be the "upgrade' to the fel puppy for warlocks instead of the floating pulse butt that they have...all the other demon upgrades LOOK like upgraded versions of what they were except the fel puppy's upgrade...I really wish they would change it to the void hound.
^ Pretty much sums it up for me. They look like demons and are classified as demons. Only thing in common with the core hound is the skeleton. That's it.

LisaaraPokefarm

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I'm an advocate of dual tagging of certain mobs; for example a ghoul would be [undead][humanoid], an ancient charhound would be [elemental][beast], oozelings are [abberation][elemental], and maybe void hounds are [demon][beast].

On unrelated note, i dont really care for old, poor quality model. Give me tamable ancient charhounds as corehounds and the new revamped model of the classic corehound, im good to go.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

pop wrote:I'm an advocate of dual tagging of certain mobs; for example a ghoul would be [undead][humanoid], an ancient charhound would be [elemental][beast], oozelings are [abberation][elemental], and maybe void hounds are [demon][beast].
This would be handy in many situations, as you point out! The whole gamut of different "giants" is another example where it could be applied.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

Then you come across oa hard ass like me who thinks the ol demon dogs should never have been made tamable :P
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Atleast the demon dogs look like dogs in the first place whereas the void hounds don't.

LisaaraPokefarm

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Wain wrote:
pop wrote:I'm an advocate of dual tagging of certain mobs; for example a ghoul would be [undead][humanoid], an ancient charhound would be [elemental][beast], oozelings are [abberation][elemental], and maybe void hounds are [demon][beast].
This would be handy in many situations, as you point out! The whole gamut of different "giants" is another example where it could be applied.
As a Forsaken, my racial would suddenly be more useful and versatile if this happens.
Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

I hate observers with a passion and would rather have a fel-core-hound as the upgraded version. :) Glyph would be amazing!
ImageImage
Praedator
Realm: Antonidas

Unread post by Praedator »

Void Terrors are intelligent. They have spoken many times though out the game. I think at least one example is the one in Dire Maul. We could probably tame Fel Hunters before we ever got these. Although, Hunters are able to technically tame intelligent animals(For example, the evil hunter in that one zangarmarsh dungeon tames a druid), Player hunters have never tamed anything intelligent.