Full screen glow

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Re: Full screen glow

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Thank you so much, Boven! Makes a huge difference for me because after a few hours of playing it really becomes too much.
Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

My eyes don't hurt anymore! I saw an instant change and my eyes immediately felt better (and I had just logged on WoW for the first time today in that moment.) when I turned it off (I was on one of the terraces inside the shrine of two moons which glows so much). There was like, zero wait time for me to feel the difference and my eyes haven't hurt all day, whereas, even before the patch (perhaps the glow was active in some areas like the shrines before?), my eyes would get sore and I'd get pain above them. Haven't had any since using these commands. Thank you so much!!!

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Yeah, I almost never have eye problems when it comes to staring at a screen, but since the new patch I've felt a lot of strain. Removing the glow effect helps a lot.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Is THIS why my eyes have hurt so much recently? I was wondering!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

For me I think it's a combination of the glow and the new anti-aliasing, which I find is slightly blurry no matter which of the new options you select. :( All I know is playing WoW for an extended period of time now gives me eye strain that I never had beforehand.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Turning that off would not fix the horrible lag issues I've been having since the patch right? Because I'm getting so really bad lag yo.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

No, that's got nothin' to do with it. The lag is on Blizz's end.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

The console command also turns off the "death effect". You don't get the bright white and grey screen any more.
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Chimera wrote:My eyes don't hurt anymore! I saw an instant change and my eyes immediately felt better (and I had just logged on WoW for the first time today in that moment.) when I turned it off (I was on one of the terraces inside the shrine of two moons which glows so much). There was like, zero wait time for me to feel the difference and my eyes haven't hurt all day, whereas, even before the patch (perhaps the glow was active in some areas like the shrines before?), my eyes would get sore and I'd get pain above them. Haven't had any since using these commands. Thank you so much!!!
The places that are the worst for me tend to be the 'orange' environments such as HFP, Durotaur, and Blasted Lands, and most any place with a lot of snow. High contrast stuff is bad, too. I couldn't play in beta for more than 45 minutes to an hour before my eyes really started bothering me. The console command didn't work in beta, so I'm really glad it still does on live. Now if it'd just stay off all the time. I've got a macro to turn it and (temporarily) fix the sky flickering that comes from having SLI/Crossfire/many AMD cards.
Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

Boven wrote:
peanutbuttercup wrote:
Boven wrote:It looks as if the console command still works, sorta. It does turn the glow off, but seems to sometimes get reset when one logs off. I created a macro on my accounts to hit whenever I notice it's on. It sure makes things easier on my eyes.
What's the command that turns the glow off? It hasn't completely driven me nuts yet, but I know it'll get too me sooner or later and would rather head it off at the pass than let it turn into a problem.
The glow is /console ffxglow 0 It can make a huge difference (to me at least) in some zones with intense colors. I couldn't even look at the screen when I was dead and waiting to resurrect in one of the graveyards in AV this past weekend. It was just too horribly glaringly bright.

Which reminds me, I need to remember to try another old flag /console ffxdeath 0 That shut off some of the screen effects when one was dead in the old days.

Ahhh makes my eyes feel better!
ImageImage
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Boven »

Hurrah! Looks like yesterday's hotfix made the ffxglow setting stay the way you set it. According to the patch notes:

UI

Settings for SET ffxGlow should no longer be resetting when exiting the game client.

Over the weekend, I finally finished getting a new gaming box ready, which eliminated the SLI/Crossfire flickering for me. Naturally, right after I did that, Blizzard fixed it on their end. Heck, now maybe I can remove that macro from my actionbars.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Boven wrote:Hurrah! Looks like yesterday's hotfix made the ffxglow setting stay the way you set it. According to the patch notes:

UI

Settings for SET ffxGlow should no longer be resetting when exiting the game client.
Unfortunately either the hotfix didn't happen or it didn't fix things for me, because it still resets every time I switch toons or log on/off.

I did find a very simple addon via Curse that toggles the glow off upon log in, if anyone else is still having a glow issue: FullScreenGlowEliminator http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/fullscr ... eliminator . So far it's been working well and now I no longer need to macro a glow off command.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

The setting is retained for me after the hotfix.
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Boven »

peanutbuttercup wrote:
Boven wrote:Hurrah! Looks like yesterday's hotfix made the ffxglow setting stay the way you set it. According to the patch notes:

UI

Unfortunately either the hotfix didn't happen or it didn't fix things for me, because it still resets every time I switch toons or log on/off.

I did find a very simple addon via Curse that toggles the glow off upon log in, if anyone else is still having a glow issue: FullScreenGlowEliminator http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/fullscr ... eliminator . So far it's been working well and now I no longer need to macro a glow off command.
I noticed it'd returned for some of my characters as well. Seeing as how I hadn't been including 'set' originally, I tried /console set ffxglow 0 That seems to be working for me.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Boven wrote:I noticed it'd returned for some of my characters as well. Seeing as how I hadn't been including 'set' originally, I tried /console set ffxglow 0 That seems to be working for me.
Hmm I'll jot that down somewhere. Since the addon's working for me I'll leave it alone for now but it's always good to have a backup option.
Meggers

Unread post by Meggers »

Boven wrote:
peanutbuttercup wrote:

UI

I noticed it'd returned for some of my characters as well. Seeing as how I hadn't been including 'set' originally, I tried /console set ffxglow 0 That seems to be working for me.

Ahh that new command worked. <3
ImageImage
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Boven »

Meggers wrote:

I'm guessing that without the 'set' it implements the change just for the current session. 'Set' likely adds it to other game settings so it persists.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Huh, I used the macro without the set and it retains just fine.. Maybe I'll add the set anyway.
Meggers

Unread post by Meggers »

Boven wrote:
Meggers wrote:

I'm guessing that without the 'set' it implements the change just for the current session. 'Set' likely adds it to other game settings so it persists.

IDK the old one stopped working at all for me, the new one worked and has kept the setting. :) Was wondering why my shiny new macro wasn't working within a few days of finding it and lamenting that I could no longer save my eyes, but that brand new one you posted is the best since it you know, actually works. xD
ImageImage
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

I have a macro to remove the glow and another one to turn it back on. Some places actually look better to me with it on. Not very many though.