mount count by account, amass by class

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Petronius

Re: mount count by account, amass by class

Unread post by Petronius »

I think this argument is expanding a bit too much... :lol: And you are using a lot of rhetoric tricks to pretend that I'm wrong, when in fact I am not.

You said there was pressure to send character specific mounts to paladins because their 3 extra class mounts allow them to have a higher total. But when you are 3 mounts away from the 200 achievement, there are more than 30 other mounts available in game, from various sources. There's no reason to feel pressured because there are plenty of other options. Those who feel pressured are making a logical error. They weigh the class mounts (and charger) against the other higher tier mounts they are missing, when in fact they should weigh a CM Silver and two sets of 100 3v3 wins against those missing mounts, because this is what they are either a) taking away from their mains or b) doing a second time for the sake of the paladin.

Of course, there are those who decided they would main a paladin from the start due to the extra mounts, but I don't call that pressure, I call it choice and class perk. And there are those who do arenas and CMs on a lot of chars, and naturally some of the mounts may end up on a paladin, but there's no problem here, like you initially implied.

It's hard to argue "objectively" why filling your collection with mounts you can't use is bad. To me, it feels like padding. They are there, they "count", but they don't really matter because the only thing you can do is look at them. But, of course, I feel comfortable enough with my collection count atm. Maybe for others this padding feels great because it brings them closer to a reward they thought was very far away, so they subjectively value it higher than I would.

It's also important to note that at any given time I'm playing my "characters", not my account. I think it's sort of cool that my paladin has his own unique mounts that my mage does not, and I see no appeal in my mage seeing them in his journal. You said other people might feel differently, but failed to explain why.

Mind you, it doesn't bother me if the mount journal could display all your mounts if you asked it to. I can see the point of that, since they now have their informative segment much like the pet tab (although it's not as necessary as it is for pets, which you can potentially encounter in pvp). Just as long as a) they have a filter, Horde/Alliance or Character/Account, so that I can opt to only brows through the mounts I can use, and b) the count for the meta achievement is character specific and only counts mounts that can be used that particular char.
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Petronius wrote:It's also important to note that at any given time I'm playing my "characters", not my account.
There's the problem. Blizzard is trying to move away from that for a lot of stuff lately, though there's still some things they like to keep character specific. But mostly they're making more and more things account wide because a lot people are sick and tired of having to collect stuff again when they already have collected them on their main.
ImageImage
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

I'm not sure I'm following either side of this argument.

For what it's worth, the class-specific mounts do not show up as "not collected" if you don't own them on some character (the sunwalker kodos did not show up when searching for kodos on my BE before I created a tauren paladin premade on the beta). They're just invisible. If you have them in your mount count they'll show up; if you don't, they won't. If you're one of those people who HAS to have EVERY mount and have the number as high as possible then yes, you're going to feel required to create one paladin and level it to 80 + grind out the argent tournament on it (bleeeeeech) and then a second paladin of your other faction's paladin-enabled race and get it to level 40.

(Unlike the stupid olympic dragon which got eaten when they switched from physical pet items to the accountwide pet list and which continually taunts me every time I open up my pet journal. Why couldn't they find record of it anywhere it's not fair T__T)
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

I don't see why they need to show class mounts on toons that can't use them - they should only count on that character and nothing else. You want two extra mounts for that chieve - just log your warlock/paladin and boom done. No I don't think every class mount should count, scoring 10 or w/e extra mounts just cause you a biggilion alts really does cheapen the achievement imo and impead those that collect on one toon and one toon alone.

Just to clarify - i don't care if my hunter can see my paladin charger BUT it should not count towards the acheivement or mount count if she cannot use that mount.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Petronius

According to MMO-champ, the warlock and DK mounts appear to no longer be account-wide as of the latest build. The Argent Charger and, strangely, the Argent Warhorse were also affected by this, but the latter is probably a mistake (someone thought they were the paladin class mounts?).
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Xella »

I believe those are tooltip fixes, not actual changes to the mounts. Felsteed, Archerus Deathcharger, Dreadsteed, etc are all still viewable and counted as collected on my NE druid. They've been removing a lot of things like that just because account-wide is the norm now, not the exception.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

From a point of curiosity, I'd like to be able to view all my mounts from all my characters as one collection. That's actually what we'd worked on for WCM recently. You can now see your entire collection, in case you want to know which class- or character-specific mounts you're missing.

But I think they should be filtered out by default. It's impractical to burden your mount journal with that for day-to-day use. Most of the time you just want to pick something to ride.

Also, the title of this thread wins. :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Xella »

yeah I think a checkmark thing for "useable by this character" would be super helpful; with the pet journal there are very few pets that you CAN'T use on a given faction (the guild vendors, argent squire/peon, the faction balloon, and whichever moonkin hatchling isn't your factional one) and they're kept at the very bottom of the list regardless of your sorting method (Palkawa is rare but will always be only just above my "not collected" mounts even tho I've still got a handful of uncommon and common (sigh) pets because I can't use or level her while I'm on my alliance characters because she's the horde moonkin hatchling). That works reasonably well for the pet journal but I think could get unwieldy given how many MORE mounts are faction-specific.

But I mean, the mount journal doesn't even have THAT at the moment, so :|
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Xella wrote:I'm not sure I'm following either side of this argument.

...If you're one of those people who HAS to have EVERY mount and have the number as high as possible then yes, you're going to feel required to create one paladin and level it to 80 + grind out the argent tournament on it (bleeeeeech) and then a second paladin of your other faction's paladin-enabled race and get it to level 40.
Then you pretty much follow the point I'm trying to make. Oh, except for that your vicious saddles will be diverted to that paladin instead of characters you would ride them on.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Xella »

But why would they be diverted if the paladin mounts give account-wide credit, is the bit I'm not understanding. In the CURRENT system a mount min-maxer will have at least one paladin at max level and will be doing CMs and RBGs on that character regardless of whether they actually even enjoy playing a paladin (and it'll always be a paladin because of the AT mount(s) bringing the character-specific total higher than the others). With the 6.0/new system, you end up creating a second paladin (arguably a bad thing) and leveling it to 40 (super soothing for me but nails on chalkboard to others, I suspect) but any character-specific mounts you get from CMs* or RBGs can actually be on your legitimate "I enjoy playing this character" main, and you can just flat-out ditch the paladin alt(s) once you've got their mounts unlocked and will only ever have to touch it again if they add more class-restricted mounts, which I doubt they will (you never know tho).

If you've got character-specific mounts on your paladin now and don't want to re-farm them on your legit main then I guess you've got a problem there, but I personally don't have character-specific mounts on my hunter (since the CM phoenixes are account-wide now and I don't care enough about my mount count to put myself in a physically painful situation by PvPing) so I can't really test how that's shaking out in beta right now. Do they show up in your mount list but are "greyed out" (more like redded out which just sounds weird) on characters that haven't earned them (this would probably be the ideal scenario)? Are they invisible like class mounts you haven't obtained yet (this would make having a "main" just as important as having a paladin "mount main" is now, for people who care that much—but at least at that point it could potentially be a class you enjoy if paladins aren't your thing)? Do they have some other sort of behaviour that I just flat-out can't guess at?

(* assuming a) there's a new tier of CM mounts and b) they're character-specific 'til the next expac the way this last round went)

Edit: I don't necessarily want to double post but this does seem like the ideal thread to ask: does anybody know what happens to your mount list when you faction or race change something that has "exclusive" mounts? (e.g. making a blood elf paladin a tauren or a dwarf). Does your list keep the thalassian chargers in it since you DID have a blood elf paladin at one point, or do you lose access to them because you no longer have a blood elf paladin? Does the argent tournament paladin-exclusive charger (warhorse? I forget which is which) faction swap with you or do you have to earn a new one alliance-side? Inquiring minds (whose PTR won't actually load into the game to do any sort of "clean slate" testing there and who can't test it on beta because of the previous paladin mount tests + the lack of the free random paid services thing that PTR always does but which beta is not currently doing) want to know!
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/436 ... uild-18935

Latest build removes the account wide from class mounts. We can all stop arguing now.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Xella »

Junrei wrote:http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/436 ... uild-18935

Latest build removes the account wide from class mounts. We can all stop arguing now.
Xella wrote:I believe those are tooltip fixes, not actual changes to the mounts. Felsteed, Archerus Deathcharger, Dreadsteed, etc are all still viewable and counted as collected on my NE druid. They've been removing a lot of things like that just because account-wide is the norm now, not the exception.
To verify, I manually counted my mount list on my dwarf paladin and my night elf druid on beta. All the class-specific mounts still show in my druid's list and both characters are credited with 344 mounts on the mount list and physically/manually counted.

Class-specific mounts still count for the account-wide total on build 18935. The changes listed on MMO-Champion are, once again, tooltip fixes only.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I still say the arguing should stop. Dead horse is dead.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Unread post by Bendak »

Petronius wrote:I think/hope this is all part of the process the Mount Journal is going through before they finalize its filtering system and not how it will end up working on live.

A lot of people seem to welcome it because it will score them a cheap felfire hawk, which is a shame, because it would be a shallow gain at the cost of good gameplay. Even if it's a desired change, I doubt the difficulty of top tier mount collecting achievements will change. Counting both factions, and now class specific mounts together simply shifts collection sizes up 50-100 heads. Blizzard will have to implement new steps at 300/350 earlier, and hardcore collectors will simply get the 250 in a two-for-one, since many of them already have the other faction's racial mounts and all the mirrored rep rewards - and even if they don't, they're highly accessible. Players who would have had a hard time getting to 250 will still have a hard time reaching 350 and whatever cool new reward it will hold, so nothing fundamental would change.
Wait... so now mounts from either faction don't cancel each other out? If you had, say, 4 dwarf rams and 4 orc wolves, you'd get 8 mounts towards your collection achievement? I was under the impression it would always be 4. I'm a bit confused.
Eyes of the Beast - My Hunter Blog
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Bendak wrote:
Wait... so now mounts from either faction don't cancel each other out? If you had, say, 4 dwarf rams and 4 orc wolves, you'd get 8 mounts towards your collection achievement? I was under the impression it would always be 4. I'm a bit confused.
I'd say not. I think it was discredited elsewhere - the only new development was the class mounts showing up on classes that can't use them but as Junrei said thats been corrected now.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Petronius

Bendak wrote:Wait... so now mounts from either faction don't cancel each other out? If you had, say, 4 dwarf rams and 4 orc wolves, you'd get 8 mounts towards your collection achievement? I was under the impression it would always be 4. I'm a bit confused.
There were conflicting reports coming from the Beta/PTR. The certain thing is that they all appear in the mount tab, and the mount tab shows everything and it counts them for its own total. It works like the battlenet mount page used to do in Cata.