Hunter Pets with Special Visual Effects Directory.

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Hunter Pets with Special Visual Effects Directory.

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Greetings Fellow Petopians!

Just touching base regarding an exciting tweet a little while back that mentioned at possible plans to have hunter pets potentially keep their special visual effects after taming. The reply seemed to be quite optimistic, saying that they are "Looking into tech that'll put visuals like that on display level and not an aura; not sure when it'll be ready & applied."

This got me thinking that there must be an awful amount of pets out there that have a visual effect on them of some form or another (in fact we've have many of you have passionately hunted, tested and tamed many of them over the years). Also with the amount of potentially shiny pets that may be suitable applicants for their new tech, I was thinking that if we put our collective minds and hunting experience together, we could possibly help in identifying as many as possible and give the guys over at Blizzard a "Go to List" if and when they get the tech up an ready.

So if anyone runs into a wild tameable beast, that has some kind of special visual or effect that deviates from the norm, Please feel free to pop in, check out the list and let us know. We will try and only list pets that have a permanent visual effect, not ones that are affected via a timed buff/aura of any sort. This means that can also be damaging buffs (which we always avoided listing or encouraging in the past due to the mechanics abuse associated) as the new tech seems to headed towards a display level, not aura per say. I'll try an update the list ASAP with any new info and finds, many thanks!

I'll start off the list below with what was the most comprehensive list I could find from our forums already.(Big thanks to Dialga and all the others that helped)
Last edited by SpiritBinder on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:34 am, edited 8 times in total.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Litlemouse
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Vashj, Whisperwind

Re: Hunter Pets with Special Effects Directory.

Unread post by Litlemouse »

Awesome! Hopefully we'll no longer have to resort to finding glitches in order to have cool pets that get nerfed shortly afterwards :P

Kintsugi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Elune, Wyrmrest Accord, Earthen Ring

Unread post by Kintsugi »

thank you so much for this list! I really hope we'll all be using it alot *crosses fingers*
zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

You could add Cracklefang. He shows as tamable on beast lore but he is level 91.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Removed extra Grainhunter Hawk, added Cracklefang, and alphabetized:

Akkarai Hatchling - Shadowform
Amberscale Basilisk - Grey
Angered Arakkoa Protector - Blue mist
Angry Hound - 'Chained' Buff
Armored Battleboar - Retains fire across its body if hit with a torch from a Tauren starting quest.
Ashmane Boar - Blue mist
Coldbite Matriarch - Grey body, sha streaks come out of her eyes.
Consumed Thistle Bear - Purple glowing aura
Corrupted Crane - Sha effect around its feet and a dull body
Cracklefang - Sword held in mouth, level 91
Deviate Plainstrider - Two sparkle rings around its body
Duskstalker - Shadowform
Felscale Crawler - Fel green aura
Fern Feeder Moth - Tiny golden moths hover around
Fire Roc - Flame effect on its wings
Fluttering Moth - Tiny golden moths hover around
Furious Goat - Has the murky ground effect of the Sha tigers, coupled with sha 'spirals' that frequently float around it.
Ghostpaw Runner - Same skin as Karoma/Grimtotem Spirit Guide
Giant Cave Bat - Black coat
Grainhunter Hawk - Can be tamed with dull skin. It can also be tamed holding a bag -- the bag is fragile and will be lost upon death, but the dull skin will be retained.
Horrorscale Scorpid - Has shiny sparkles trailing after it
Icehorn - Rhino with icy feet (rare spawn)
Icepaw Bears - Icy effect on paws
Ik'thik Terrorclaw - Sparkling, smoky Sha effect
Infested Bears - Keeps disease cloud + buff, not the eggs
Ivory Starling - Subtle sparkle effect
Kung Din - Rotating chain around his neck
The Lone Hunter - Sword through the head
Mining Monkey - Carries a pickaxe (Dungeon pet)
Mutant War Hound - Noticeable green buff, diseased skin underneath
Oiled Fledgeling - Black thick oily coat
Oil-Stained Wolf - Black thick oily coat
Princess - Pink bow on shoulder
Rabid Worg - Skull aura effect
Searing Roc - Flame effect on its wings
Seething Fleshripper - Sha effect
Sha-Haunted Crane - Sha effect
Sha-Haunted Tigress - Sha effect
Sha-Infested Prowler - Sha effect
Silt Crawler - Bottle in its claw
Spirit Worg - Very translucent, blue-mist
Spiteflayer - Golden glow, flamey ball above head (rare spawn)
Starving Hound - Gains a sleepy buff when finished eating their master. Also comes with a damage buff that increases damage when near other 'hounds', but it's unclear if this would matter when tamed and out in the world.
Veiled Basilisk - Veiled Basilisks in Towlong Steppes can be tamed with their camo-buffs. But they only appear camo'd for the first ~10 seconds when you call the from your stables, then they don't appear to camo again until you resummon them.
Vicious Teromoth - Dark misty aura effect
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

zedxrgal wrote:You could add Cracklefang. He shows as tamable on beast lore but he is level 91.
Oh nice find! I'd forgotten about that one was flagged tamable too :)
GormanGhaste wrote:Removed extra Grainhunter Hawk, added Cracklefang, and alphabetized
Awesome, I've updated the list, Thankyou :D

­
­
­
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Oh id love a sha pet! How awesome if it happens :D

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow

Re: Hunter Pets with Special Visual Effects Directory.

Unread post by Agravaine »

It would be nice to have my ghostpaw out and about with me at last! I googled around to refresh my memory on these and found threads I started in the WoW forums 3 years ago now. I also rediscovered something older... the Mania's Arcania post from May 2009 about summoning effects being disabled. Back in the days of comments instead of forums! :mrgreen:

But sticking to the topic, are summoning effects like Gezzarak's lightning and Arikara's puff of sparkly smoke included in this?

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

As much as I loved the individual nature of those, they are not really a permanent display.... but then they were always a permanent feature so maybe? Would love to try dig up some more info as I don’t personally have an original Gezz myself, but I'm trying to remember when and why they removed it.
If they stopped they ability to tame one with it, that’s all well and good, but some would still have her with the lighting effect right? (as per the sha/oily/sparkly still remain on others) Same for Arikara's puff too I assume. I have a funny feeling it was a permeate removal prior to any visual pets even being discovered…

­
­
­
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Yeah, Gezz lost the lighting summon even for people who tamed her back in the day. It would be a rather neat feature to put back on her, but that's a bit different than something visual on the pet.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Sweet, thanks for the comfirmation Veph, and I agree if they could somehow return this, it would be pretty dam cool :)

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The Black Bengal Goat in VEB has a sha aura. Note that this is a second ID for the goat, and was added in 5.4. The one with the original ID still exists, but has no sha effect.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Also, the following VEB beasts now have sha auras. However, unlike the bengal goat, they all retain their original IDs. The goat was the only one to receive a new ID for the sha version.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Blighthound in EPL has a green toxic aura.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Chasm Stalker has a purple-pink smoke effect, centred around its neck. This seems to only happen after a Faceless Defiler zaps them. There's no buff that is obvious on them, but the effect sticks from then on.
Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow

Unread post by Agravaine »

SpiritBinder wrote:As much as I loved the individual nature of those, they are not really a permanent display.... but then they were always a permanent feature so maybe? Would love to try dig up some more info as I don’t personally have an original Gezz myself, but I'm trying to remember when and why they removed it.
If they stopped they ability to tame one with it, that’s all well and good, but some would still have her with the lighting effect right? (as per the sha/oily/sparkly still remain on others) Same for Arikara's puff too I assume. I have a funny feeling it was a permeate removal prior to any visual pets even being discovered…
Nope, summoning effects were disabled outright on any that had them, but not because it was a huge concern. Unfortunately, they were never a priority to restore either. :(
Lindlas commenting on Mania's May 2009 blog post wrote:There was a post on the boards about Gezz and the Blizzard poster that responded where not against bringing the summon animation back. It wasn’t removed intentionally, but was a sideeffect of other cleanup they did. Now, just because they wouldn’t mind bringing it back doesn’t mean they’ll actually do it. I’m keeping Gezz as my tank pet since it still has a unique skin.
Gezzarak became tameable for a couple of weeks in Wrath when we were able to be the same level as her. The bugs in her tamed version were fixed, but taming her was disbled for the rest of Wrath. After insistent popular demand, taming her was reenabled in Cataclysm.
In January 2011 I wrote:Gezzarak the Huntress wasn't meant to be tamed, but hunters found a way. She was horribly bugged -- couldn't be healed or misdirected to, and was blue to opposite faction players. She was fixed but made untameable... until Cataclysm.

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Thanks for the extra ones Wain, I've added them to the list, very appreciated. :D
Wain wrote:Chasm Stalker has a purple-pink smoke effect, centred around its neck. This seems to only happen after a Faceless Defiler zaps them. There's no buff that is obvious on them, but the effect sticks from then on.
So with these one, they don’t have it until a Faceless Defiler zaps them? So does that mean it also eventually fades from them after a certain amount of time also? Just not sure if to list any pet that does not permanently have their visual effect, just to try and avoid the plethora of other non-permanent buffs that effect pets appearances. :|

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

SpiritBinder wrote:Thanks for the extra ones Wain, I've added them to the list, very appreciated. :D
Wain wrote:Chasm Stalker has a purple-pink smoke effect, centred around its neck. This seems to only happen after a Faceless Defiler zaps them. There's no buff that is obvious on them, but the effect sticks from then on.
So with these one, they don’t have it until a Faceless Defiler zaps them? So does that mean it also eventually fades from them after a certain amount of time also? Just not sure if to list any pet that does not permanently have their visual effect, just to try and avoid the plethora of other non-permanent buffs that effect pets appearances. :|
Honestly I'm not sure. I thought it was something they had from the start until I encountered one that didn't have it. Soon after a defiler zapped it and the pink appeared. However it had no buffs on it so I'm not sure where the effect is stored. Maybe ignore this one, or put it on an "iffy" list ;)
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Maybe we can go for a dip and have a look later on, been a while since I got my togs out :)

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Three beasts in the swamp area of Dread Wastes all have that yellow-green fel effect on them, pretty much just on their heads, though: