Hunter spec change discussion

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Re: Hunter spec change discussion

Unread post by Sukurachi »

despite there being "all these colour options", it remain that it's STILL just the one, same fricken' weapon for everyone of that class.

like I said, it seems like a complete waste of manpower to create a fixed set of weapons for each class/spec, and then only offer colour variants, or even mild shape changes.

Everyone will STILL be running around with the same weapon.

others may like the idea, but colour me unimpressed.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

ShootsAlot
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Sargeras

Unread post by ShootsAlot »

Sukurachi wrote:despite there being "all these colour options", it remain that it's STILL just the one, same fricken' weapon for everyone of that class.

like I said, it seems like a complete waste of manpower to create a fixed set of weapons for each class/spec, and then only offer colour variants, or even mild shape changes.

Everyone will STILL be running around with the same weapon.

others may like the idea, but colour me unimpressed.
I know they're not gonna have weapons drop for say, but maybe they could have cosmetic weapons that use some of the models found in Legion so we still have options? Like they just gotta have a weapon with the same model used by that of an npc or something and they honestly couldn't complain about wasting resources since they're just basically using a weapon skin that's gonna be in the game as is right?
What did the buffalo say when his son left? Simple: Bison
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

You mean like green quality random drops from outworld mobs? That's possible. It would be weird if there is absolutely ZERO weapons at all in Legion. I don't mind at all having to run around with my artifact weapon and not seeing weapons from quests and bosses from dungeons and raids, but random greens need to happen at the very least.
ImageImage
Ironclaws
Realm: Icecrown/ The Venture Co

Unread post by Ironclaws »

I REALLY hope survival is going melee! :D I've always wanted to fight alongside my pet!
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Okay, I'm super duper late to the party, so I'll just sum up my thoughts:

1) Nervous about seeing a melee hunter. I'm very skeptical. I admit that I miss the melee abilities of old, but I never in a million years expected for a hunter spec to go entirely melee. Although, this is still very early and subject to change. Note I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that I'm skeptical. ;)
2) I am super happy that BM gets the gun (at least that's how it's looking). Rhyela has always used guns, so I'm stoked. Although I do wish they'd bring back the BANG, instead of making them sound like a little toy gun.
3) I fully support making all pet families tamable by everyone (er, SV and BM anyway), and giving BM something to further set them apart from SV pets, like having two instead of one. So many non-exotic families look exotic, and vice versa, that having an exotic doesn't really feel all that unique anymore to me. In fact, I still tend to prefer my non-exotic pets over my exotic ones.
4) Sooooooo glad that I kept my Quel'serrar or whatever the heck it's called from LK! I did dump a lot of melee weapons, but I don't think I really had that many super-special ones to begin with. Except that one.

Overall, the changes in Legion sound pretty cool so far! :D

Edit:

5) I hadn't heard about "no weapon drops"..... I'm pretty indifferent about this one. Honestly, most of the drops in any given expansion are all just re-colored versions of the same freaking thing. A blue spiky sword, a red spiky sword, a brown spiky sword, oh hey a yellow spiky sword. There really wasn't THAT much variation until you got to raid bosses, and IMO, I think they're almost always garish and ugly and I transmog some plain old thing over them anyway. :P I like the idea of a weapon I can customize how I want, though I totally understand why not everyone would be on board with that.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

I"m hoping the ranged weapons really have the variety that we see with Ashbringer... but Blizz hasn't done great with ranged weapons in recent years (I still tmog mostly to the Ulduar guns).

My only real gripe is that since MM won't have a pet at all, we'll all mostly probably start with BM, and then will have to work on MM catchup for our weapon if MM is better for raiding.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I was away on vacation for the past couple weeks so I'm behind on commenting too, but I have to admit I'm tentatively excited about these changes!

I think it's an interesting way to bring variety into the specs and make them feel truly different from one another. In all honesty hunter specs have always felt pretty diluted and not very distinct. A melee hunter is very surprising, but also something I think I can get behind as an idea (not sure if I'll play it myself, but I'm eager to see what it feels like). I do think it's a little sad that MM loses their pets, since the hunter class as a whole has always been predominantly about the pets for me and I'd hate to be a MM player that suddenly loses that aspect. :( Still, it also makes sense for that spec thematically, so I guess we'll see how things end up. I can't speak much as a BM player since my spec isn't being reworked too much and I'll still be happy.
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Wondering if MM will get some kind of tools for soloing, or if we will just be leveling and questing as BM...
Account has been closed at user's request.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Slickrock wrote:Wondering if MM will get some kind of tools for soloing, or if we will just be leveling and questing as BM...
I've wondered this myself, since we are joining the "no tank pet" likes of Mages/Priests/Boomkins.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

It could be as simple as a snare that doesn't break easily with damage, like... Marks automatically gets a superior version of the snare-disengage talent or their frost traps take 2-3 hits to break. You don't have to keep something away from you for THAT long to kill it, especially since you can assume their personal damage will get buffed since they aren't compensating for pet damage.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Kalasta
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Uther

Unread post by Kalasta »

Nachtwulf wrote:It could be as simple as a snare that doesn't break easily with damage, like... Marks automatically gets a superior version of the snare-disengage talent or their frost traps take 2-3 hits to break. You don't have to keep something away from you for THAT long to kill it, especially since you can assume their personal damage will get buffed since they aren't compensating for pet damage.

I certainly hope its something a little less convoluted than that... Really not liking the no pet for MM hunters...granted I use lone wolf a lot in instances and raids, but I always have a pet with me while out on regular quests...especially a tanking pet for harder NPC's. How are we going to compensate for that without a pet??? :( :?

A big thank-you to Tårnfalk for re-sizing this sig pic.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I'm hoping that SV gets some self-healing tools with their new spec design. Melee usually end up taking more damage and those little self-heals can make a huge amount of difference in survivability. At least better healing goes with the spec name.

I actually LOVE melee, but I probably won't play SV. My main is already an enhancement shammy and I enjoy the relaxation of playing ranged (Hunter) as my second. I'm tempted to try it though.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Kalasta
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Uther

Unread post by Kalasta »

Oh and I do agree, there's too much of a imbalance with ranged classes vs melee classes... I'm more of a ranged person myself...

A big thank-you to Tårnfalk for re-sizing this sig pic.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Combat animations worry me.

This may not seem like an important thing, but its very important to me, so much so that it is the primary reason I pick a race. I chose Blood Elf male for my main hunter for this reason, the general animations. However...

I *hate* Blood Elf male 2H melee animations. I mean despise them. I got on the PTR recently and tested them with various 2H weapons and my god I hate them lol.

I *love* Blood Elf male ranged animations. My favorite Horde ranged animations by far.

Dilly of a pickle! If I can't stand the animations, I can't play the character. I have an 85 Worgen Warrior that I gave up on a couple years back for this very reason.

Because of this, I doubt ill play SV and I know I won't play MM (I've never liked the rotation, but I greatly prefer a pet.)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Quivering wrote:Combat animations worry me.

This may not seem like an important thing, but its very important to me, so much so that it is the primary reason I pick a race. I chose Blood Elf male for my main hunter for this reason, the general animations. However...

I *hate* Blood Elf male 2H melee animations. I mean despise them. I got on the PTR recently and tested them with various 2H weapons and my god I hate them lol.

I *love* Blood Elf male ranged animations. My favorite Horde ranged animations by far.

Dilly of a pickle! If I can't stand the animations, I can't play the character. I have an 85 Worgen Warrior that I gave up on a couple years back for this very reason.

Because of this, I doubt ill play SV and I know I won't play MM (I've never liked the rotation, but I greatly prefer a pet.)
Are the animations linked to the race or the class? I can say that my Draenei enhancement shaman has really awesome melee animations, anyway.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

At least with Blood Elf male, most animations are based on the race. There are some ability specific animations, like Colossus smash. However a Blood Elf male DK and Warrior looked very similar, using a lot of the same animations.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Slickrock wrote:Wondering if MM will get some kind of tools for soloing, or if we will just be leveling and questing as BM...
This is my main gripe with this change if it goes through. I quest with a pet as MM and go Lone Wolf for raiding/dungeons. I rolled a hunter because I like having a pet! And yes I could just go BM but I really love MM atm so I don't want to feel forced to go a certain spec just because I dont want to face tank everything while lvling. I also want to get that gorgeous bow...I just yeah not sure how this is gonna work.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Survival Hunters will get a Harpoon ability that allows them to throw a spear to pull mobs towards them.

I can already see people macro-ing a "GET OVER HERE!" /yell with that move. :lol:
ImageImage
Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

Shinryu Masaki wrote:
Survival Hunters will get a Harpoon ability that allows them to throw a spear to pull mobs towards them.

I can already see people macro-ing a "GET OVER HERE!" /yell with that move. :lol:
There needs to be an addon for this complete with his voice file! XD
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Hopefully there'll be a lasso cosmetic glyph option too :)