Possible new pet models?!

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Possible new pet models?!

Unread post by Wain »

pop wrote:
Zalani wrote:
pop wrote: LOL you are using a Hydra as your avatar, yup definitely one of the people that would get annoyed if this change goes live lol
I didn't know Avatars had an effect on what someone posts.
But in all seriousness and considering this is Alpha it is most likely mislabeled. I would take major changes like this with a grain of salt...not to mention the forum rage that would happen.
Because that means the poster really like hydra, so that's why they use it as an avatar, and the changes to hydra might effect them?
I really dislike the newer hydra model. I think they look bizarrely proportioned and I rarely ever use a hydra as a pet. And yet I think it's unlikely that they were changed to exotic and also think it would be a bad decision to change it now. It's not because it affects me, it's because I think it would be bad all around.

Sparse data are always going to give rise to differences of opinion on what they mean, and it's ok to disagree. The only problem here is if you mock and laugh at someone because they might be affected by the change and lose access to their pet. That part of the discussion is not really necessary.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Ghostlands (H) & Kirin Tor (A)

Unread post by Kalhoun »

Video of the new bear model - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98XetcoI2Zs

I was really hoping they would redo the whole skeleton. The perma-crouch the front half of the body has with it's butt in the air is so awkward and unbear-like. It's one of the reasons the WoW bears look like "Rodents Of Unusual Size" to me.

Texture is nice, at least.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Texture does look great but that back... And why do they need that weird beard? But guess I can't complain..

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Ghostlands (H) & Kirin Tor (A)

Unread post by Kalhoun »

I *think* they were trying to add more bulk to the shoulders to try to make it more grizzly-like, and combined with the round butt it makes the back look concave.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I can understand the butt in the air if they're trying to make it look like the original, say if they were planning to replace all older bears with it. But then they added that absurd beard and the awful sway back, and the mole claws (are they so the bear can do jazz hands when it dances??). Maybe they weren't trying to match the original after all, but if they were then the person who did this did a terrible job compared to the other beautiful replacement models we've seen. The goatee almost seems like a joke by someone who is used to doing whatever tf amuses them personally. Seriously confusing and bizarre choices there.

EDIT: actually, the more I look at it the more I feel like the skeleton has not been finished yet. It's a bit like some of the awkward versions of the quilen that we saw during early MoP beta. But still... the freaking goatee.
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

Wain wrote:As for the Hydra, I see what you mean now :) I agree it's probably a mistake. I think it's extremely unlikely they'd make a class exotic after it's already been broadly tameable. They wouldn't want to effectively take pets away from players who have been using them for ages.

Unless... exotic is changing in definition and no longer means tame-restricted, but instead means fancier powers or something else. I'm sceptical of that, though.
My two cents really fast-I could see them redefining the exotics list to make certain pets BM only during this expansion with all of that redefining the fantasy stuff they keep saying for each class. And hey the hunters who currently have them will not need to lose their pet-they can just switch to BM when they want to use them.

^Not my personal opinion-I'm super upset if I have to switch out of my beloved BM spec, but I can see the devs thinking that way. Its pretty much the thought process for MM right now-"hey you loose your pet but don't worry if you really liked your pet you just have to change specs to use it again." If they are doing that to MM and using the "hey you can switch specs to use your pet" excuse, whats to stop them from doing it to non BM?

Kalhoun wrote:Video of the new bear model - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98XetcoI2Zs

I was really hoping they would redo the whole skeleton. The perma-crouch the front half of the body has with it's butt in the air is so awkward and unbear-like. It's one of the reasons the WoW bears look like "Rodents Of Unusual Size" to me.

Texture is nice, at least.
That bear is freakishly adorable. Though now that you've pointed out the ROUSes-ness of it I am thinking I may have to get two-one in the right color to name after that old swayback nag I used to ride and a brown one to name Rous.
SetsunaChan
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by SetsunaChan »

Wain wrote:(Also, sorry, my replies are a bit crankier than usual, because I was the only one of the Petopia/Warcraft Mounts team that didn't get an Alpha invite today and I'm pissed off not because I want to play but because I'm the only one who can extract the model data for both websites (as well as supply Warcraft Pets with their model shots, too) and I'm having to go to other lengths to get a database copy so I can :P )
Ouch! Sorry to hear that and thanks for the info about the rabbit. Didn't know about the shiny layer was a extra effect.

The bear looks good but I think it's not 100% done yet since the rigging for the back looks broken/not right.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Kalliope wrote:And aww, Goredome's child! I reeeally hope Bruce has babies too! >_>
I hope Mecha-Bruce created babies so we can tame a mecha-croc!
Wain wrote:EDIT: actually, the more I look at it the more I feel like the skeleton has not been finished yet. It's a bit like some of the awkward versions of the quilen that we saw during early MoP beta. But still... the freaking goatee.
I was reminded of the same thing, the quillen using the cat skeleton and animations early in MoP.

Is there anyway in a model view to straight out the bear's front legs and make it stand? I'm not asking you to do it lol you got plenty on your plate. Just curious if its possible or ever been done.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Mecha-Bruce babies, yessss!

I could....potentially work with the bear model, especially if a skeleton change removes the swayback effect and hopefully the goatee. x_x

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Except that it wasn't moking, it was a joke. Jeesh
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

I found this small album with another bear color and a robo-rabbit:

http://imgur.com/a/SiNE9
Jangalian
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Jangalian »

Regarding new bear models, here's a pic of one of the new druid skins.

It looks like they're trying to build up more of a mane (?) for the skin, which accounts for bears having a sway back when all that model texture is hidden under one grey coat of fur. Also why there's a wrinkled snout and beard. It's really just the druid skin, unskinned. But Wain is right, if this is the finished druid model you will hear druids screaming from the rafters. His front leg armor is clipping, his back is swayed and his back feet are pigeon-toed. As nice as the cat models are, he should be just as nice. Take heart guys! We're still in alpha!
( •_•) Many whelps!
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) Handle it.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Quiv wrote:Is there anyway in a model view to straight out the bear's front legs and make it stand? I'm not asking you to do it lol you got plenty on your plate. Just curious if its possible or ever been done.
Not in WMV, skeletons would have to be modified in the actual model files. Even then, the current version of WMV hasn't been fixed to load external model files, only the proper game database, so it would be very difficult to display them.

Actually, WMV isn't able to load Legion yet but we're working on it. I'm not a professional (or even good) coder but the only other coder for WMV has been mostly inactive so I've been trying to help when I can. But with this I haven't had any luck so far. :P

The main stumbling block with Legion is they've changed the format of their database files from db2 to db3. Someone has kindly given us code for their own tool that opens db3 files, but I've been a bit lost and have not yet had success adapting it. Working on it though!

At least I have a copy of the Legion database now. I've seen heaps of cool skins, but I just can't model them yet. Can't wait to be able to :)
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I like the look of the new bears. Not a huge fan of the back, but currently I have 1 out of 55 pets that are bears and he's a spirit beast. I might pick up another if this is the new model. It 'is' just alpha and if they hear enough feedback on the 'Back' issue, maybe they'll lift it a few ticks before street.

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

My favourite druid form so far. It could probably even blend it its surrounding.

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Yeah I'm really bummed it's a druid! xD I am obsessed with natural looking beasts like that. The tree-cat is amazing too.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Oh my god I've been waiting for Hati since Wrath!

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Hati?

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Fenrir had two sons, Skoll and Hati. Just look up some Norse mythology on wikipedia.
ImageImage
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Shinryu Masaki wrote:Fenrir had two sons, Skoll and Hati. Just look up some Norse mythology on wikipedia.
So maybe, in another expansion we can tame its father! Please be a wolf made of stars!