Possible new pet models?!

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Possible new pet models?!

Unread post by Wain »

I thought the strawbeary looks awesome :).
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I tweeted Chris Robinson about the bear, hoping he might give his thoughts. Not everybody dislikes the new model but there seems to be much more concern about it than most of the other new pet/critter models, which is compounded by the fact that a bear is the one that the vast majority of us craved an update for, and also the fact it seems to be a complete replacement for the original model. I hope I came across as nice about it...

https://twitter.com/WayneGWoods/status/ ... 3341992960

Maybe he'll respond :)
Takanuka
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Unread post by Takanuka »

Has anyone even thought about since they making mechanical pets tameable anyone think of taking Elegon? http://wow.gamepedia.com/Elegon He is mechanical after all and most of the cloud serpents are labeled beasts anyways so maybe unique mechanical :-D and best challenge tame in the game? To override mogu repurposed Titan technology :-D?
Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Unread post by Arthur »

He is still a dragon though. I always thought of him as more of a projected defender than an actual tangible mechanical dragon, you see what I mean?

I'm not dashing your idea, I think it's cool, but if they made him tameable there would be people asking for all dragons to be tameable, and then there would be people enraged over the one dragonkin being tameable at all. Even if that's not his official class/specification, he is still a dragon.

It would be similar to asking for a mechanical humanoid mob to be made a pet - it's still a human, even it if its robotic.

Your idea of the challenge tame is great - just think it would be better suited to a different beast. Perhaps a newly made mechanical quilen.

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Wolfwings
Realm: Garona, Zangarmarsh, Earthen Ring

Unread post by Wolfwings »

Gosh, those updated models look so good! Agree with the bear though, the bow looks a little weird on its back.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Takanuka wrote:Has anyone even thought about since they making mechanical pets tameable anyone think of taking Elegon? http://wow.gamepedia.com/Elegon He is mechanical after all and most of the cloud serpents are labeled beasts anyways so maybe unique mechanical :-D and best challenge tame in the game? To override mogu repurposed Titan technology :-D?
It would be amazing to get some astral versions of pet models some day. They don't seem all that difficult to do, I don't think. But I'm not sure you could really call them 'mechanical' as much as synthetic life forms made out of 'energy'. And even if they let us tame cloud serpents I don't think it would be likely we'd get Elegon since he's an intelligent being.

The only astral creature model, from a tameable family, that I'm aware of existing is the arcane serpent from Ulduar. That's just a statue though. Currently no animations or skeleton :(
Albain
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Albain »

With nether serpents available for taming, I'm hoping for manawyrms.
Zalani
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring, Arathor, Moon Guard(US)

Unread post by Zalani »

So, after checking out the models I actually like the new bear. It also seems I'm going to be taming cats in Legion with this brown model that they have.
The bear also looks a bit better in the viewer, a lot of it just seems to be due to the fact they are so large and fluffy. I don't believe it should replace the old models but I do like it.
Last edited by Zalani on Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

I really love the brown too, and I wish there were more natural colors & patterns like a leopard or tiger coloration...

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Dewclaw
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

Like the new cats overall, but what is with blizz and the awkward head tilts?
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I think that's just the image. It uses the Mystic runesaber model and if you mount up in game it doesn't have the tilt.

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I like the new model, but I hope they produce some skins that aren't so monochrome. Not that these are awful, but every one so far has been a solid colour with very little shading. But I would guess from this that they don't intend for this model to replace the old saber, or we'd be seeing a huge range of updated original colours.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think some of these look like someone is trying just a little too hard. It isn't always necessary to add tufts of fur everywhere and goatees to make a model look up to date. It's not that the new models look bad per se, but they don't always need to be as gussied-up as they are. Sometimes, just a little bit of elbow grease is what's needed. I think the new mini-pets do a great job of this. That sprite darter is simply beautiful!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Rhyela wrote:Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think some of these look like someone is trying just a little too hard. It isn't always necessary to add tufts of fur everywhere and goatees to make a model look up to date. It's not that the new models look bad per se, but they don't always need to be as gussied-up as they are. Sometimes, just a little bit of elbow grease is what's needed. I think the new mini-pets do a great job of this. That sprite darter is simply beautiful!
100% agree. And the updated models that people are giving the most love to are the ones without the embellishments. It almost seems like there are internal differences in the Art Dept. and no enforced consistency in this. But who knows?
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Wain wrote:I like the new model, but I hope they produce some skins that aren't so monochrome. Not that these are awful, but every one so far has been a solid colour with very little shading. But I would guess from this that they don't intend for this model to replace the old saber, or we'd be seeing a huge range of updated original colours.
Yeah I agree; would love to see some unique patterns for these cats. Like I mentioned earlier, a spotted leopard pattern would be awesome to see. Or even a darker, black panther without those unnatural red eyes.

I think the MoP tigers would do a much better job replacing the old sabers if it came to that. These cats don't match at all - much too lanky. Really though, all that the Pandaren tigers need are larger fangs.

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Aroim
Pet Finder

Unread post by Aroim »

i don´t like the Cats, so i did that:

brown cat is still unfinished

Zalani
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Zalani »

I'm just hoping that Beta comes soon so we can get some petopians in there to go get us some more info on pets lol.
Judging by that tweet asking for what people want to tame I hope we get some neat old world pets.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

I am so nervous about the bear model. One of my huntress's main pet (she got him from level 10 and has used ONLY HIM since) is the black diseased bear. That sway back and the seemingly over sized front paws really bother me. So praying to the powers that be "fix" this. I could deal with the goatee if they were.

The new cats are lanky almost like the NR worgs. I imagine that's how they are though. Starved, fighting for scraps in a demonic world. I guess. But the jaw. Is this cat half snake where it's jaw unhinges to allow whole prey consumption?????

By looking at them I feel these models are undone still like others have said. The animations (and I went through ALL of them) look unfinished. Especially the manasabers. A lot of their animations seemed to bug out even on WoWhead. Could be that site but I don't know.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Zalani
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Zalani »

For the record the Wowhead viewer is known to bug sometimes with new models,just go look up some pics from when HD character models were added. Which is why I just chalked it up to that until we can see it ingame. I had a feeling I shouldn't have added the picture when I noticed it,but nevermind that now hehe.

Although of course I normally don't base my opinion on animations from the viewer and wait to see it for myself ingame. This goes with most new models. But I still am torn on the bear model, on one side I love the big fluffyness of it and I will be taming the black version for my hunter. But on the other side I don't want them to replace the old models with it.

It should just be a new bear version that we find in the isles and not in the old world. Like the cats being a new type of option for our ever-growing cat family. But even then this makes me worried for if they ever try to update the old cats. I could see them just copy pasting that MoP tiger on them or go overboard with the teeth. Which is why I seriously hope they just leave the old models alone until they can actually make it accurate.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

While those new cats are purdy, I can't help but wonder 'Why?'

Why more cats? There's a squillion cats already. Graphic quality aside, I don't see why anything already existing couldn't be used.
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net