Possible new pet models?!

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU- Kazak

Re: Possible new pet models?!

Unread post by Malackai »

I was bored so I decided to touchup the current legion bear model

Shortended the beard thingie (added some extra hairs) and buffed up the back and removed the weird waist (I like big butts model) >_>

granted I am used to the ff14 model of the bear but at least this makes the wow bear less odd and the overall body shape more like the current bear model
My flightrising: Flight Rising
My DA page: http://malackai.deviantart.com/
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Malackai wrote:I was bored so I decided to touchup the current legion bear model

Shortended the beard thingie (added some extra hairs) and buffed up the back and removed the weird waist (I like big butts model) >_>

granted I am used to the ff14 model of the bear but at least this makes the wow bear less odd and the overall body shape more like the current bear model

Could you make the shoulder as the highest point and lower the hind?
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Kayb wrote:While those new cats are purdy, I can't help but wonder 'Why?'

Why more cats? There's a squillion cats already. Graphic quality aside, I don't see why anything already existing couldn't be used.
because this is the Night Elf expansion, hence new cats and new owls.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

pop wrote:

Why more cats? There's a squillion cats already. Graphic quality aside, I don't see why anything already existing couldn't be used.
because this is the Night Elf expansion, hence new cats and new owls.
Besides I think the new cats are plenty unique. Much more thin with elongated snouts... While yes I wish other models would get more attention, such as hyenas, if they don't fit in with the current expansion there's not much we can do.

IMO any new models are welcome.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

With your minor tweaks, that bear looks way better, Malacki!

Granted, I know that when people start complaining about models, bad things tend to happen (*cough*worgen females*cough*); however, that bear's back is absolutely awful. I can deal with the goatee, but the back has GOT to be fixed. I could never bring myself to tame one of those with such a glaring fault.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU- Kazak

Unread post by Malackai »

I agree I just need a little smoothing and it would be fine raise the shoulders a bit as well

I tried a new one making the shoulders the highest point but it ended up being mangled >_> because that also meant I have to re align the paws else it end up being a bear out of proportion -_-
My flightrising: Flight Rising
My DA page: http://malackai.deviantart.com/
Ickabob
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Ickabob »

The devs listened during MoP beta when we didn't like the initial posing of the quilen models, so maybe they'll listen this time around and adjust the bear's stance/posture a bit.
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

Because they had already made the model for a few mounts (runesaber) and why would they not use the new base model for some updated pets or something like that? There are a number of models in game that need updating, but I doubt all of them would really fit into this expansion. I have yet to see a zone in the new world that would work for, say, an updated hyena model right now.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

By "new world" do you mean Legion, or "after vanilla"? There were hyenas in Uldum and Townlong Steppes.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Malackai wrote:I was bored so I decided to touchup the current legion bear model

This is definitely more what I expected the model to look like! :D Awesome work. ^^

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

They should just be able to edit the mesh a bit, and that should be it.

It would hardly make a difference for them. The textures wouldn't stretch, it wouldn't be a problem for the skeleton either. I'm fairly sure they could just grab the top vertices and pull them up a bit to close the gap.

All in all, it would probably take less than an hour.

The beard is a different case, but they could probably change that quite easily as well.

(I don't have a Legion model viewer so I can't export the model and open it in say, Cinema4D, so I can't say for certain, but based on what I know from the models I did export, it should be really easy.)
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Man, I don't want to be sound like an ungrateful whining child, but I do wish that WOW bear doesn't twerk, and at least would use a grizzly bear anatomy which means its shoulder is the highest point or at least using black bear's which would mean their butt and shoulder are at least the same height. I would be happiest if both type of anatomy be implemented; maybe grizzlies anatomy can be found in bears of northern azeroth regions and these bears are bigger while to the south we would find bears that uses black bear anatomy...

Speaking of which, I would love to see a more feral bear model; mane like fur and long protruding fangs from the lower jaw.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Bear feedback on the official Alpha forum, that I just posted:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... 2?page=1#0

I didn't mention the want for higher shoulders in a new bear model. I was tempted to, but felt the post was already long enough and should stay focussed on the desire for the replacement to be faithful to the original. But if they do split the models, like I suggested, then raised shoulders would be great feedback for the Broken Isles version and make it look even more different to the original.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Ahh I'm glad you made a feedback thread Wain! I can't post anything there, but if I happen to get beta (crossing my fingers) I certainly will. I'd just like it to be brought to their attention at the very least. I feel that the new models aren't faithful to the original models at all if that's what they choose to go with.
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I can't really tell if this is a new model or not. I hope it is since I'd love to tame a ram, but could go either way.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Bulletdance wrote:I can't really tell if this is a new model or not. I hope it is since I'd love to tame a ram, but could go either way.
Ooh! Nice catch. I don't think that's a new model *squints* but the fact that it's there makes me wonder if an update is on the way! :) I can't see them using the dated original one in those nice new areas. *crossing fingers*
Ickabob
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Ickabob »

Looks like a plain old regular vanilla ram to me, unless it's a new color variant or something.
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

I just thought about the new bear model again and how some people are afraid of having them replace their trusted old bear friends...
WoD did have some new Raptors and all the old raptors on Durotar haven't changed into them.

So I think, all the old teethdrying bears of yours should be safe... :mrgreen:
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Bhando wrote:I just thought about the new bear model again and how some people are afraid of having them replace their trusted old bear friends...
WoD did have some new Raptors and all the old raptors on Durotar haven't changed into them.
So I think, all the old teethdrying bears of yours should be safe... :mrgreen:
You could be right, it's possible they will be safe. But, still, this is a little different to the raptors. The raptors couldn't have replaced the old ones as they're entirely different colours. In this case the bears match, colour-for-colour, the old models (or at least by colour name... some of the shades vary from the originals), just like the other model revamps do. And we have evidence that some of the NPCs and minipets are being updated to the new models, so it's a reasonable concern that bear pets will suffer the same fate.

It's always possible they'll update the old bear NPCs BUT assign them new IDs, so the old ones that are already in our stables keep the old models. This would be preferable to no fix at all, but would still leave us with one available, tameable bear model that most don't seem to find visually appealing.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Yep... it's very odd that they'd make models for all of the old colors including the diseased ones if they weren't intending to replace the old bears.

I'm not saying that it'll definitely happen, but there's a good chance.

I do hope they tweak the models more though so they'd make better replacements.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |