Mounts in Legion

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
13thmaiden
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Re: Mounts in Legion

Unread post by 13thmaiden »

I love banties, you should see the silkie bantams, so adorable and yet they're like chihuahuas. I'm pretty sure Bantams think they're still velociraptors XD They sure have no problem using that beak and their claws against you like one! And the roosters, phew! You gotta clip them spurs or you gonna get hurt when egg collecting comes around. I've always found them better as ornamental chickens with larger calmer breeds being better for egg layers. (you wanna have real fun, go for the Araucana's, Easter egg colored eggs and some rocking muttonchops!)

I can't raise chickens where I live now, but I hope to have some someday :D (my knowledge comes from working with friends' chickens XD)

Well from my Mohican ancestors I say "Kwékwé", and my closer Cherokee relatives I say "Osiyo" to you my Shoshone friend!

As for making them like ostriches and Crossaway. Yeah, but they just PINNED the feathers there, they don't even make a decent tail. Both of those birds have tuffs or some kind of tail you can make out, and doesn't look like someone just took some feathers and pinned them there. What's weird is that the black, red, blue and purple mounts actually have a decent tail with some feather spray that makes it look intentional. But when you get to the armored 'swift' birds, suddenly the spray is lopped off so they can have that weird...tail guard thing? Leaving this odd pinned splay on the butt, leaving it where you can see they cut off the 'tail' of the original models.

Well the running with the head down isn't too much a bother to me but I wish it had more of a headbob like most birds when they move. Birds bob their head in a kind of flexing motion of forwards and back which fits their flexible looped curve of a neck. The motion of the hawkstrider and the tallstriders is a weird up and down bobbing motion which is more normal to mammals than birds.

It's a similar problem for raptors in game. Whoever designed the skeletons really didn't understand different species locomotion when it comes to the head. (they got the tails and legs right at times, but they miss it when it comes to neck and head work for some animals, specially non-mammalian.)

and

Are the more proper walking motions for bird like creatures. Even the hippogriff with it's bird like qualities should have a slight head bob that could also match with a deer's neck motion when walking.

It's always a big problem when animating. If you watch a hawkstrider or tallstrider walking, they have the flex, but when they begin to run, their necks suddenly turn impossibly stiff and flap their heads wildly. In a normal situation, this would cause the bird to be very disoriented and unable to run properly.

"Vision doesn’t mix well with movement. All animals, from insects to eagles, have tricks to stabilize the world. Many mammals, humans included, do this with slight twitches of the eye. This is instinctual, and comes from neuromuscular connections between our eyes and the part of your brain that tracks movement and rotation. Pigeons are able to move their eyes, but their longer, more flexible necks make it more efficient for them to do this motion tracking with their necks."

Which the tallstriders and hawkstriders have, meaning they'd be much more efficient moving their necks to keep their vision steady than trying the nanotwitching of mammalian eyes.

I wish they'd fix those things on the mounts. Not that they will at this point, it's just me being nitpicky from wanting to be an animator and studying so much about locomotion of animals when I was doing animation classes XD;; I can live with it, even if I still think it's a silly and improbable way for that kind of 'bird animal' to move.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I liked the bent neck a lot... sure, it's not accurate but it's cute.

The weird stretched neck the tallstriders do really makes them a huge turnoff... not least because it's SO rigid and stiff, that my mind reads the head/neck/body of a tallstrider (ESPECIALLY the pink one) as a huge hard penis, pointing where you want to go.

It's... really awful.
pleeeease go back to the upright head so I can ride my birds again without ENGORGED PENIS SYNDROME

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

:oops: Oh my. Nacht. :lol: I will never be able to look at a pink tallstrider the same way again. :oops: :lol:

Yeah their run should look like this:

Not this:

I still don't understand why they changed it.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I don't either, it's ridiculous. My SUSPICION is that it was changed when they introduced the large mount versions because the head, held upright, would clip into several of the player models in an ugly way (tauren and worgen I imagine would be the worst but probably any race with a hunch). Note that mechanostriders don't do it, and that's probably because tauren can't ride them.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

13thmaiden
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

See and they could have easily fixed that by just bending the head forwards on the model just slightly. Instead they went to the extreme and now we have the....wagging penis head necks.

Yeah thanks for putting that in my head, like I wasn't already imagining that with the 'pink love rocket' <-<
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

At least the pink love rocket just looks like your average clunky goblin rocket with a garish paint job...

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

They changed the Tallstrider skeleton/animations when they added these, they used the same skeleton/animations as the Hawkstrider mounts because lazy? (Yes I find it lazy, I am a modeler and animator and I find not adding mount animations to already excising objects, just swapping skeleton/animations from other things lazy.)
Image :mrgreen:

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I miss the original tallstrider run animation so much. :( Does anyone happen to have a gif of it somewhere?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I added the new Nightmare moose model. There's no proper mount spell assigned to it as yet:

Coming in probably the next build is an update on the Fathom Dweller "Faceless" mount. The file listings are there, but not the files themselves. Judging from their names it seems the new one will have a saddle. I suspect it uses the existing skins for the body, though.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
13thmaiden
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Hmmm....Well, it's interesting to say the least....kinda lazy in the design that it's a color palate switch with some spikes...but maybe it has a residual effect like the sha effected or fel effected mounts? That would be nice.

I'm happy they fixed the rat mount's tail, I'm hoping the tentacles get random movements for the 'faceless' mount while in idle. It will be boring if it's just 'boopboopboop' like when it flies/runs.......I really hope it flies. Does it fly Wain?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

13thmaiden wrote:Hmmm....Well, it's interesting to say the least....kinda lazy in the design that it's a color palate switch with some spikes...but maybe it has a residual effect like the sha effected or fel effected mounts? That would be nice.

I'm happy they fixed the rat mount's tail, I'm hoping the tentacles get random movements for the 'faceless' mount while in idle. It will be boring if it's just 'boopboopboop' like when it flies/runs.......I really hope it flies. Does it fly Wain?
I think it's just a water mount. It would certainly be interesting if it flew though :)

As for the Nightmare moose, I think it looks ok but keep in mind there may also be effects on it that we're not currently seeing. WoW Model Viewer doesn't render some effects textures properly, especially on newer models. Wowhead is often even worse. I say *may* because what we see may also be exactly how it's intended to be.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

I need that moose in my life!!! He's all cranky!!! Makes me want to :hug: him. :lol:

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I just expect the moose to be the raid-cheevo mount for Emerald Nightmare. Which means I have to wait 6 years before I see it.

13thmaiden
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Wain wrote: I think it's just a water mount. It would certainly be interesting if it flew though :)

As for the Nightmare moose, I think it looks ok but keep in mind there may also be effects on it that we're not currently seeing. WoW Model Viewer doesn't render some effects textures properly, especially on newer models. Wowhead is often even worse. I say *may* because what we see may also be exactly how it's intended to be.

Darnit...C'mon Blizz, give me majestic Flapflaps as pets and a flying jellyfish mount! >_<

I'm hoping there's a texture over top, it looks kinda bland to me right now. Not that I wouldn't get it if that's just it XD Cause you know, mount collecting and all.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

New and improved squishies.
Also, as I surmised, the evil moose is the raid cheevo, while the purple new-model hippogriff is the heroics reward.

I'm hoping the old-style purple 'griff is a timewalking dungeon goodie because I'll eventually be able to snag one.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've updated the Fathom Dweller and other colours, to the new appearance, though the in-game journal still shows the old one. I assume it's changing and they haven't updated the journal yet.
http://www.warcraftmounts.com/legion.php#fathomdwellers

Something else of note: all four falcosaur mounts have been removed. Given that the wild versions never made it into the game either, I wonder what their plans for them are. Maybe they decided to delay them till the next expansion. Or maybe in 7.2 will be a troll patch, with an Isle of the Fluffy Raptors and they'll all be there, set out in their colour groups with a giant Featherdasta world boss. :D
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Also gone is the "Demonsaber", which was just a nightsaber cat with no saddle which never had a real source, so no major loss. It was overwritten by the Grove Defiler moose.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Wain wrote:Or maybe in 7.2 will be a troll patch, with an Isle of the Fluffy Raptors and they'll all be there, set out in their colour groups with a giant Featherdasta world boss. :D
Featherdasta :lol:

Ok, you totally win the pun of the day :D

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

zedxrgal wrote: :oops: Oh my. Nacht. :lol: I will never be able to look at a pink tallstrider the same way again. :oops: :lol:

Yeah their run should look like this:

Not this:

I still don't understand why they changed it.
well I don't think it's fair to compare them to Ostriches..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNipEVda5qk
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

and I don't think it's fair to compare them to Cassowaries (even if they went our of their way to colour one of them in a similar vein). They're body shape and composition/posture/walking are probably more in line with an Ostrich, they are more tall striders after all, rather than short striders.

Also,these are magical make believe birds, in a world that doesn't exist, and made of pixels.... not sure how many rules still apply to how they are supposed to be animated.

Lastly, when it comes down to it, the only reason they run like they do now, was to save time and money with animations (stolen off the hawkstiders as the old tallstriders didn't have a full set).... Mystery solved.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­