Exotics – Have they lost their Relevance ?

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
pawprintedheart
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, WrA

Exotics – Have they lost their Relevance ?

Unread post by pawprintedheart »

MOD NOTE: Hey guys, just split this off from the Legion Pet list for further discussion... as you were :)

Love the ghost mana saber!

Are the mana sabers exotic or can any spec tame them so far?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Legion pet lists

Unread post by Wain »

pawprintedheart wrote:Love the ghost mana saber!

They're Exotic, unfortunately for non-BMs. I was hoping they'd do away with that distinction finally.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
pawprintedheart
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Ah. Bummer. You and me both :( especially since survival looks like so much fun. But thanks for checking Wain!
zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Wain wrote:

They're Exotic, unfortunately for non-BMs. I was hoping they'd do away with that distinction finally.
Oh wow. I wasn't expecting the mana sabers to be exotics. Frankly, even though my girls are all BM primary, that's a real bummer. Kind of doesn't make sense to me why they're exotics. Have you seen any type of lore with these cats or something that may elude to why they are?? I know that's a long shot but it just seems odd.
Like maybe they're should be in the SB family or something if they're not going to be just normal "cats".

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Wain wrote:

Rylaks 2.0 :cry:
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Quiv wrote:
Wain wrote:

Rylaks 2.0 :cry:

Urgh groans

But what I hate more is that rylaks move on the ground post tame. I wish they fly when we or they run, and only move on the ground when we walk.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

zedxrgal wrote:
Wain wrote:

Oh wow. I wasn't expecting the mana sabers to be exotics. Frankly, even though my girls are all BM primary, that's a real bummer. Kind of doesn't make sense to me why they're exotics. Have you seen any type of lore with these cats or something that may elude to why they are?? I know that's a long shot but it just seems odd.
Like maybe they're should be in the SB family or something if they're not going to be just normal "cats".
Aside from them being something out of the ordinary? Exotics are always the more unique and weird. I'm personally fine with this cause exotics is really all BM has that makes them different from other specs. I don't see why that's always seen as a bad thing that BMs get something new when most hunter pets aren't exotic.

The last bits are more of a general confusions rather than aimed at anyone. It's something I see often complained about and I guess I don't understand why it's bad for a spec that barely has anything to get a little something that kinda defines it.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Junrei wrote: Aside from them being something out of the ordinary? Exotics are always the more unique and weird. I'm personally fine with this cause exotics is really all BM has that makes them different from other specs. I don't see why that's always seen as a bad thing that BMs get something new when most hunter pets aren't exotic.

The last bits are more of a general confusions rather than aimed at anyone. It's something I see often complained about and I guess I don't understand why it's bad for a spec that barely has anything to get a little something that kinda defines it.
That's exactly how I feel about Exotics as well. I'm kind of glad that Exotics are still a thing, because it's one thing that I actually do feel fits the whole "Beastmaster" fantasy.

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Rikaku wrote:
Junrei wrote: Aside from them being something out of the ordinary? Exotics are always the more unique and weird. I'm personally fine with this cause exotics is really all BM has that makes them different from other specs. I don't see why that's always seen as a bad thing that BMs get something new when most hunter pets aren't exotic.

That's exactly how I feel about Exotics as well. I'm kind of glad that Exotics are still a thing, because it's one thing that I actually do feel fits the whole "Beastmaster" fantasy.
Yeah, exactly. Like, I'm not saying every pet has to be an exotic, but seeing a new exotic species pop up is nice.

Out of 52 total families (counting the new ones), only 12 of those families are exotics, if my math doesn't suck. That's not a whole lot of exotics. That still leaves 40 families that anyone can have.

LisaaraPokefarm

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Junrei wrote:Aside from them being something out of the ordinary? Exotics are always the more unique and weird. I'm personally fine with this cause exotics is really all BM has that makes them different from other specs. I don't see why that's always seen as a bad thing that BMs get something new when most hunter pets aren't exotic.

I'm not complaining by any stretch of the means it was just a surprise because to me they're somewhat normal cats. TO ME, they're no different than say Skarr (black gem cat) or the Jade Guardian (green gem cat) which are not exotics.
Again. No complaining from me & I don't find it bad. Just found it odd since I don't see them being different from the normal cats in game because they have some aqua blue contour striping. :D Hey. The more the merrier for BM.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

pawprintedheart
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

zedxrgal wrote:
Junrei wrote:Aside from them being something out of the ordinary? Exotics are always the more unique and weird. I'm personally fine with this cause exotics is really all BM has that makes them different from other specs. I don't see why that's always seen as a bad thing that BMs get something new when most hunter pets aren't exotic.

I'm not complaining by any stretch of the means it was just a surprise because to me they're somewhat normal cats. TO ME, they're no different than say Skarr (black gem cat) or the Jade Guardian (green gem cat) which are not exotics.
Again. No complaining from me & I don't find it bad. Just found it odd since I don't see them being different from the normal cats in game because they have some aqua blue contour striping. :D Hey. The more the merrier for BM.

To me, pretty much what Zed said. I didn't see them as anything out of the ordinary.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

zedxrgal wrote:

Yeah, I'm a big supporter of keeping the exotic classifier, but with these cats it just feels unnecessary. They are't any more exotic than the gem-cats, which any hunter can tame.

... Kind of getting the feeling that Blizzard only made the mana-cats exotic because BM "has" to get a new exotic every expansion. Instead of, I dunno, Rocs? Jellyfish? Stingrays?
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Re: Exotics – Have they lost their Relevance ?

Unread post by Quiv »

I like it when an exotic family feels exotic to me. I know thats completely subjective of course, but beasts like coursers or rocs, or even pterrorwings would feel exotic. I even thought direhorns felt exotic.* The mana sabers don't personally strike me with that exotic pizzazz. Adding swirlies to a cat model just doesn't ring my bell. That being said, I'm stoked we get them especially since some dig them so much.

*This is all to say I have wanted them to change the beast master exotic dynamic for years. Instead of locking out entire families to hunters, I've wanted beast masters to actually be master of all beasts, unlocking special things in each family that other hunters (who arent masters of beasts) cannot since their mastery lies elsewhere (a marksman would be better with a bow than a beast master for example). Thats the flavor I've always wanted. I know its not feasible, and honestly neither here nor there for this discussion. Just throwing it out there to confirm I'm not advocating taking direhorns away from anyone :D
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Quiv wrote:I like it when an exotic family feels exotic to me. I know thats completely subjective of course, but beasts like coursers or rocs, or even pterrorwings would feel exotic. I even thought direhorns felt exotic.* The mana sabers don't personally strike me with that exotic pizzazz. Adding swirlies to a cat model just doesn't ring my bell. That being said, I'm stoked we get them especially since some dig them so much.

*This is all to say I have wanted them to change the beast master exotic dynamic for years. Instead of locking out entire families to hunters, I've wanted beast masters to actually be master of all beasts, unlocking special things in each family that other hunters (who arent masters of beasts) cannot since their mastery lies elsewhere (a marksman would be better with a bow than a beast master for example). Thats the flavor I've always wanted. I know its not feasible, and honestly neither here nor there for this discussion. Just throwing it out there to confirm I'm not advocating taking direhorns away from anyone :D
Literally was gunna type up a response that essentially said the same thing Quiv. I love that idea for a BM hunter more so than exotics. :3

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I actually want exotic to be just exclusive skins and models for bm hunters, and all of bm hunters' pets would get exotic skills regardless whether they are exotic or not.

I also want Rylak to be chimearas and dread ravens to be tamable; taking rylak skills.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Quiv wrote:I like it when an exotic family feels exotic to me. I know thats completely subjective of course, but beasts like coursers or rocs, or even pterrorwings would feel exotic. I even thought direhorns felt exotic.* The mana sabers don't personally strike me with that exotic pizzazz. Adding swirlies to a cat model just doesn't ring my bell. That being said, I'm stoked we get them especially since some dig them so much.

I think hydras look exotic as well.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Thanks for splitting the topic, SB :) I think it's definitely a worthwhile discussion that deserves its own topic.

My own feeling, which I've expressed before, is that the Exotic classification was something that was very relevant when it was first created and there were fewer families, but I believe the distinction has eroded over time to the point where the difference between exotic and non-exotic families is somewhat arbitrary.

Is a clefthoof more exotic than a dragonhawk? A silithid more exotic than a sporebat? ( Or even more exotic than a new ravager that looks just like a silithid? ;) ) Our non-exotic families are now full of really arcane looks that have been added over time (fire and stone turtles, arcane wyrms, rune dogs, fire spiders etc.). And that's cool that everyone gets some unusual looks, I'm not criticizing that it's happened. But it also means that exotics don't necessarily have anything special to their appearance.

I do understand the argument that Beast Masters should get something more from their pets, and I agree, but I think the exotic classification is no longer all that special and no longer so prestigious. Instead I'd like to see BM hunters get an extra special ability from all families, not just exotics. Not only would that make beasts extra special to us, but it would remove the feeling that you must run with an exotic to get full mileage from your pet.

That's my take on it, anyway. But I understand people who want to keep exotics, too.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

I can see the point with the gem cats. I kinda forgot about Skarr and the jade guardians. Still, I don't wanna get rid of exotic families. I can't see MM or SV with spirit beasts at all because, least from a story perspective, they haven't taken the time to understand those sorts of beasts like a BM has, nor would they generally care to since that is not their specialty. I'd actually be really upset if they removed exotics since they may as well just remove BM at that point.

Personally, extra special abilities doesn't feel BM to me and would really just be a pain in the butt to balance around. Heck, the 'special' abilities we have now are very lack luster.

I'm not sure what they could replace exotics with that would make sense from a story perspective.

LisaaraPokefarm

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

If the extra abilities that exotics bring compared to non-exotics are not what make them feel special, nor the look of a particular beast (As wayne mentioned with lines so blurred they're all but gone), then I'm lost at what defines that of an exotic beast anymore. Apart from that in which is assumed on our part to be, and purely from the context of the past.

I personally can see only a few families left in the exotic group (Spirit Beasts, Devilsaurs, Corehounds.... and maybe Chimeras but meh) that even seem exotic compared to other tamable families.

Shale Spiders... I kind of get that these are Spiders made of stone.... but we have non exotic Spiders made of Molten Flames, Spiders made of Bone, Cats made of Stone, so ???
Silithids... the WoD ravagers are even more exotic looking than the older version of a silithids, so ???
Clefthoofs... How a clefthoof is more exotic than a Mushan or a Thunder lizard... that actually shoots lighting, so ???
Worms... I'm not sure how an overgrown worm is more exotic than a Wind Serpent, or Dragonhawk, or Warp Stalker.
Etc, etc, Etc.

But even the ones I mention, when I really think about it.

Corehounds, Giant twin headed Beasts from the elemental plane, forever burning with flames, still certainly come across a pretty exotic.... though not the only beasts that are comprised of raw elements.

Devilsaurs, Terrifyingly Giant dinosaurs full of teeth and terror, that shake the ground when walking, still certainly come across a pretty exotic...... though once tamed now shrink to the size not dissimilar to a raptor, and it's not like they aren't the only Dino about town.

Spiritbeasts, That still have fantastical visual effects and can take on any form, still certainly come across a pretty exotic.... But then so to mechanicals, that allows a cute robot the size and shape of a bunny, with a light globe for a tail, to go toe to toe with the likes of a 3 headed hyrda with no effect on it's combat efficiency.

Family Types, what does and does not make sense, makes absolutely little to none. This is, and forever will be my biggest gripe with Blizzard, is the direction they choose to go with pet families, over any other topic. There is no longer ANY rhyme or reason for what is or isn't. No one can prove any reasoning (I believe this to be 100% true) as to what is or isn't exotic, or is or isn't one or another type of family.

The only reason blizzard is so consistent and being inconsistent with family classifications is... Oh Look SHINY!!!
And thats it... flavor of the month (or should we say patch) What ever is new or in, is in. If it's shiny and makes no sense, sense is not needed (Shale Spiders/Rylaks/Mana Sabres). If it's funny and quirky but leaves you scratching your head, just keep scratching. (Seagulls/Porcupines/Mechanicals)

How this....

is any more exotic than this....

I'll never know... I could go on a list another after another after another, but in the end, it's never going to make any sense, because for blizzard sense is simply not needed. :|

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I think the name "exotic" for exotic pets is more because calling them "special" pets in game would be corny, not that it necessarily means "unusual". Especially since non-exotics have been getting more and more unusual looking pets over time. I like having some pets that are exclusive to the spec. And I like having bonus abilities on those pets, it adds a bit more of pet management to the gameplay. Sometimes (not always), though, it feels obligatory to bring an exotic pet, so there's actually fewer pet options. If beast masters could train non-exotic pets to have exotic skills, that would fix that problem. But I don't think every skill (or skill combination) would be appropriate for every pet. For example, shooting webbing for a slow or root would work for silithid, spiders, shale spider, and maybe worms, moths, and ravagers. But I don't think it would make sense for a wolf to be able to shoot webbing and give you water walking.

As far as mana sabers go, I'm not terribly interested in them. I like the panther version of the model more. A roc/dread raven family would be more interesting. Maybe blizz has to figure out how to make them fly when they're dashing or following a mounted player, and run on the ground for fighting.