Volpin

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Volpin

Unread post by Wain »

So, this post relates to the new fox model, both wild version and mount.

The good part is that it seems the method of getting the mount is now known:
http://legion.wowhead.com/quest=44058/v ... he-elusive

You have to interrupt a fox hunt event in Suramar.

The not so good part:

According to what Wowhead says (above page), the fox involved is the last of his kind. And he's undead, so if that is true we won't be taming him:
http://legion.wowhead.com/npc=112443

Of course the info could be wrong or outdated.

If it's true, though, could this story be created as an explanation for holding back the new model so they can continue using the low poly one for all the Broken Isles? I'm really getting a bad feeling about this.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Re: Volpin

Unread post by Arthur »

Aww.. I kind of hope not? :/ It's a very nice mount, but the feral version is gorgeous and I'd hate to see it used on one unnameable mob. Unless I am misunderstanding the post. And Sorry if that's selfish sounding.

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Aggannor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU Wildhammer

Unread post by Aggannor »

Other big problem with our ability to tame this model is that it's missing (according to Wowhead's model viewer) at least death and attack animations.
Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I was hoping for it to be tamable...but, i don't mind the current fox model either...Definitely going to be taming one on my Gnome because all gnomes need a fox!

Hopefully though this means that the fox mount will be "relatively" easy to obtain.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Perhaps they mean he is the last of his kind "in Suramar"? Because if he's already dead (or undead), then him being the 'last of his kind' is moot. His kind is already extinct. XD So it shouldn't be a blockade to stop us from getting wild versions of these. I mean, after all, there's going to be hundreds of people running around with it soon as mounts; so seeing other versions in the forest shouldn't be all that lore-breaking.

Plus there's a lot of other Llothien foxes in the surrounding areas. So perhaps he's just the last magical undead fox? o_O

Either way, I hope we do get to tame this model =/ Not to be whiny but, I'd be ok if we couldn't tame something because it's a "core" element or design of another class (like the ghost wolf debate), but not because "its a special mount".

Seems silly for Blizzard to put such outdated fox models out in the wild in this otherwise gorgeous and up-to-date detailed enviroment (where they sadly stick out like sore thumbs even compared to the critters who are updated).

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

There's a possible inconsistency there, as well, but it may be explained. Llothien is in Azsuna, not Suramar. Maybe he was an imported fox. Until I can see all of the quest text in game I can't be sure what's going on there :/

The quest text indicates the hunt party is ghostly, which fits Azsuna better anyway. Maybe what we're seeing is the text half way through it being moved to another zone and still containing inconsistencies.

I just have a really bad feeling about where this (isn't) going. I'd hoped to see the model replace the Llothien foxes, if not all the ones in the Isles, but it hasn't happened, now this event appears in the database. And it seems to be live as I've seen players riding the fox.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Another creature that really should have been made tamable that isn't. Such a shame.
The saddleless model itself is very nice (although it needs a good brushing) but the mount I really dislike & creeps me out. That whole bolt through the neck thing. Ouch.
Yes I'd try for the mount for any achievement but would never use it.

I really really dislike & never understood why Blizzard puts really old models in new zones especially after spending the time and resources to create a new one and it's either not used or only one is placed.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

According to quest text on Wowhead, Volpin is the last of his kind on the entire Broken Isles. And since the Broken Isles have been secluded from the rest of Azeroth for the past 10k years, it doesn't look good for there being a tameable version somewhere :/
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Upon reading this further it appears there is a part called Calm Volpin the Fox. In my thinking. Why not make a tamable version of him (?) like the Draenor Fel Wolf????
I mean. They're aberrations till you give them the cleansing vial.
Why not give him (?) a revive potion or something along those lines.

I know it's very late in the game but the model with a quest line to bring it back COULD be added.

Or they could just take the easier route and add a rare spawn on the Broken Isles.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

If there was a rare spawn somewhere, then that would go against what the quest text says about him being the last.
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

or an item that would make Volpin Tamable...

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Even if they did make a rare, it would still be kinda crap if they had neglected to make decent use of the new model for the rest of the isles and are instead using a low poly one that has a similar texture quality as our original cats.

I really hope this isn't where they're going with this.

*enables cynical bitch mode* Maybe they'll be used everywhere in the next expansion, on Argus or something, and be totally disjointed from the origin of the mount. And they'll give them a special name, like Ryfoxes and make them a special exotic family of their own with two colours :P
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

It would be a real shame if these become "Untamable" due to someones lack of fore site (and frankly already done story line "The last of it's kind".... Oh hello there Voidtallon?). So if/because someone just threw in some filler story for the mount, now they may not be available to tame... classy.
Wain wrote:*enables cynical bitch mode* Maybe they'll be used everywhere in the next expansion, on Argus or something, and be totally disjointed from the origin of the mount. And they'll give them a special name, like Ryfoxes and make them a special exotic family of their own with two colours :P
Bwahahaha :lol:

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

It'd be very easy to change the quest text to "one of the last of his kind" and throw in a single rare spawn elsewhere for hunters to tame, imo. Volpin's litter-mate or something.

Doubtful, but maybe they'll change their mind and stick another fox with this model somewhere.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Lupen202 wrote:It'd be very easy to change the quest text to "one of the last of his kind" and throw in a single rare spawn elsewhere for hunters to tame, imo. Volpin's litter-mate or something.

Doubtful, but maybe they'll change their mind and stick another fox with this model somewhere.
If only :|

They could make so many little changes could make a big difference, and regarding Volpin, if they did the Volpin's litter-mate or something, that'd be prefect

Speaking of small changes, I noticed they made Hati a boy now in the BM artifact intro, they even redid the voice acting as Thorim now says "He/Him", which is kinda a big deal to just keep Norse Mythology buffs happy.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

SpiritBinder wrote:Speaking of small changes, I noticed they made Hati a boy now in the BM artifact intro, they even redid the voice acting as Thorim now says "He/Him", which is kinda a big deal to just keep Norse Mythology buffs happy.
I thought that was a shame, since it's only supposed to be inspired by Norse mythology and not actually Norse mythology. And I read the Eddas for fun.

And yeah, they could change many things to legitimize using the new fox model more on the Isles. My concern is if the current text is so worded because they don't want to.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Another great creature that belongs to a family that already has tameable representations for hunters to tame that isn't tameable for arbitrary reasons, although they would make great model updates.

In the box of silly Blizzard decisions regarding creature models it goes. Enjoy your stay with the two Core Hound mounts, Bloodfang Widow, Dread Ravens, the alternative Rylak model and Stormcrows you go.

:P
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm and Azuremyst

Unread post by Arthur »

Lol, I'm am sooo sure they had to make Hati so *obviously* male. What a friggin' joke. (My opinion, don't jump on me)

They could also make a different color of the fox and make it a rarespawn. Perhaps brown, black or white. That way, it's not all over but still not just used on *one* single mob

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I have come to terms (although unwillingly) that they have internal reasoning why thus-n-so shouldn't be tameable. However to not use such a new skin (personal opinions aside) in the wild seems like such a bad move. I get the whole "this is the last one, treasure it" thing, however it would be so easy to make provision to allow others to exist. For example, maybe there was a rare breed of these foxes that grew to mountable size, which is why trophy hunters prized them. This way, normal size foxes could abound, but Volpin could be the last of his size. That would be a win/win to me.

That being said, did that model ever get any of the normal fox colors? Black, gray etc. It could be weird if there were new orange skin models mingled with old skin in Broken Isles, but I would bet this kind of mingling has happened before.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Quiv wrote:That being said, did that model ever get any of the normal fox colors? Black, gray etc. It could be weird if there were new orange skin models mingled with old skin in Broken Isles, but I would bet this kind of mingling has happened before.
No, just orange. But if they have no intention of releasing the model more generally then they wont care about making other colours. Otherwise it wouldn't be very hard.