Volpin

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Re: Volpin

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Yeah but they truly should release the model for other colors. They won't but they should. I may get flamed for this but I feel this model also should have replaced the old models. Especially since they're using that old model in Legion which looks really bad. Again the whole stunning gorgeous NEW zone with a 6 year old model in it.
Yet for story reasons they refuse to recolor a brand spanking new model.
I truly wish Blizzard understood how hard it is for me to stay immersed in a stunning new zone when I encounter a 4-10 year old model that does not fit and looks so bad compared to it's surroundings.

I'm not one of those MUST HAVE ALL THE CREATURES!! hunters but am heartbroken that creatures I'd really love to have, like this fox model, since I do not like the old model cannot be tamed.

But yeah. Not sure why they couldn't do something along the lines of the fel wolf with this guy.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

yeah even if they didn't want to make it tameable, not having more of this model in the wild with the other colors is such a shame. I'd love to see it in other colors.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I don't think it's a lore issue, being "last of its kind", or a preference by the devs for the old model. If the new fox model is missing key animations, and the artists are working on other models, then updated fox npcs probably just won't make the cut for legion release. Unfortunately, not everything can be #1 on the TODO list.
When you get the fox mount, use it a lot (remember, blizzard tracks how often which mounts are used), and leave feedback if you'd still like them to finish the animations to make them npcs and tameable. If it's not already on the list for legion release, it probably won't be added to that list, but maybe it could be in a patch or the next expansion.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

In all reality, for all our complaining and cynicism, Xota is 100% on the money. Yet again, much to no ones surprise, it's simply animations (or the lack there of)

One thing that I have taken note of over the years, no matter how polished the model, or unique, no matter how much it is wanted or any other fact, animations will shut down the use of a model before anything else. And the other thing, most notably, the lack of animated attack option. This is one of the key issues to why we have never been allowed to have pythons/snakes as pets. Not because they look amazing, but they have no mouth/jaw to bite with (even if they pretend to do so in the wild/pet battles). And also with this new fox, it too has no jaw/mouth to bite with, they just left it out (Or wired shut)

It was obvious when the model 1st came out as it has been attached to a cats fame/skeleton for animation. But what they forgot the 1st time round was the "Mount Special" Its still did a "Large Rwar" that cats do, but with with no jaw/mouth it looked really off. Kind of like it wanted to do something but was all locked up.

So the next build they gave it a new mount special, which was actually really nice as it bounds around in a small loop (But i have a sneaking suspicion that I've seen it before, on a battle pet or something... I just can't remember from where)

That said, it also lacks quite a few other animations that are generally a must for any Hunter Pet prerequisite, making it slip further and further away from ever being tamable.

Long story short, they tried to make something new, by hobbling together a bunch of per-existing skeletons/animations, and it ended up a Frankenfox of animations and a few things didn't work very well. So they chopped out/subtracted anything they could, back to a bare minimum of animations that still looked ok, and that left it suitable for a mount, but not much else.

Also considering how long we have been playing in hellfire now, AND they have a due date for Legion, there will be nothing that will stand in the way of their deadlines, sexy new fox or not.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

IMHO volpin model should replace other fox models

Volpin is the last in Azusna/Broken Isle, not all of Azeroth.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

SpiritBinder wrote:In all reality, for all our complaining and cynicism, Xota is 100% on the money. Yet again, much to no ones surprise, it's simply animations (or the lack there of)

One thing that I have taken note of over the years, no matter how polished the model, or unique, no matter how much it is wanted or any other fact, animations will shut down the use of a model before anything else. And the other thing, most notably, the lack of animated attack option. This is one of the key issues to why we have never been allowed to have pythons/snakes as pets. Not because they look amazing, but they have no mouth/jaw to bite with (even if they pretend to do so in the wild/pet battles). And also with this new fox, it too has no jaw/mouth to bite with, they just left it out (Or wired shut)

It was obvious when the model 1st came out as it has been attached to a cats fame/skeleton for animation. But what they forgot the 1st time round was the "Mount Special" Its still did a "Large Rwar" that cats do, but with with no jaw/mouth it looked really off. Kind of like it wanted to do something but was all locked up.

So the next build they gave it a new mount special, which was actually really nice as it bounds around in a small loop (But i have a sneaking suspicion that I've seen it before, on a battle pet or something... I just can't remember from where)

That said, it also lacks quite a few other animations that are generally a must for any Hunter Pet prerequisite, making it slip further and further away from ever being tamable.

Long story short, they tried to make something new, by hobbling together a bunch of per-existing skeletons/animations, and it ended up a Frankenfox of animations and a few things didn't work very well. So they chopped out/subtracted anything they could, back to a bare minimum of animations that still looked ok, and that left it suitable for a mount, but not much else.

Also considering how long we have been playing in hellfire now, AND they have a due date for Legion, there will be nothing that will stand in the way of their deadlines, sexy new fox or not.
This is why they decided not to make the armored dragonhawk tamable :(
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It is strange that they haven't added attack animations to the fox. Perhaps they're still coming. They seem to add attack animations to most things, even if they're never going to be used in combat. Even that strange, Iron Horde-looking tortoise mount, which doesn't seem to have any purpose yet, has attack animations, as does the spider mount which has no wild equivalent. Along with the apparently scrapped falcosaurs that never made it into the game. Hopefully they'll still add them!
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I didn't realize it was missing animations, I can see that shutting it down. It still strikes me as strange considering foxes already exist. I figured itsjust a skin on top of the existing skeleton/animation, similar to other updated skins. I guess I don't understand the technicals involved. Shame.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

See now I'm an ass because I did notice that the fox didn't have attack animations but it didn't remotely click that that would /could be the cause for the model not being a tamable beast. Also seeing that it had a mouth, or at least the lines of a jaw /mouth didn't click either that his mouth didn't open. *sigh*
Lame. I get it. I do. But it still really really sucks this model is a mount only model. Really really sucks.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I love this model so I'm a bit disappointed, but they've added a lot I like so overall I'm happy. I think they're running in to a time problem with the release coming up which is strange to me since it's taken so long for any new content and they've grown the team. I trust it'll be a lot of fun for hunters though from what I'm seeing so I'll either make mine my main or a demon hunter if I can play them okay.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

It really is unfortunate about the model. :( I might not be crazy about the fur texture, but it still looks much better than the others. The foxes are a newer creature overall but man, for a Cata addition their models always looked like something from Vanilla.

It definitely seems a shame to make such a nice new model and not utilize it on wild mobs, but maybe that will change in the future!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I too am disappointed that we don't get a tameable version of that fox. But we have gotten a lot of new pets we can tame this xpac, of which I am very grateful for. After all, Shem didn't give us as much as he did.