General Question re: Classes

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

General Question re: Classes

Unread post by Rhyela »

I have not played alpha or beta, so I'm just curious if there are any classes or specs thereof that haven't been changed so much that they feel unfamiliar. I'm generally not opposed to change, but I'm not a fan when it leaves you feeling like you have to learn something over again. So yeah, just curious if there are any classes that still feel familiar (pre-7.0)? I'm mainly asking because I am seriously on the fence about buying Legion. If there's a chance that the fun factor has been removed, I very likely won't waste my money. I'd have to buy it for both my husband and myself, so that's a lot of money we're talking.

Thank you in advance!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: General Question re: Classes

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Hm... Well, all of them have been changed to some degree. Some feel familiar, whilst some are completely redone. Destro, Boomkins, Arcane - I would say they are the most familiar, but even they have a lot of changes.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Frost Mage felt familiar too me. There's a new core spell and the talents can change it up quite a bit. Granted I didn't main it or anything but from what I remember, I was able to pick it back up fairly easily.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

I feel like feral druid really hasn't changed too much overall. It felt the most similar to me out of all my class/specs. There were some changes, but it felt very familiar.

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Admittedly, I haven't done a lot, but while guardian druid has changed (the design is no longer dodging hits and getting low stacks, instead it's getting hit by everything and just absorbing the damage) it's not unplayable. Nor does it feel oversimplified or overcomplicated. At least class-wise. Game mechanics are something else; I dread the situational awareness being hobbled by the camera changes.

Guardian rotational moonfire is also weird, but that's a cosmetic "what the heck?" A glyph to change it to a swarm of bees would fix that.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Admittedly, I haven't done a lot, but while guardian druid has changed (the design is no longer dodging hits and getting low stacks, instead it's getting hit by everything and just absorbing the damage) it's not unplayable. Nor does it feel oversimplified or overcomplicated. At least class-wise. Game mechanics are something else; I dread the situational awareness being hobbled by the camera changes.

Guardian rotational moonfire is also weird, but that's a cosmetic "what the heck?" A glyph to change it to a swarm of bees would fix that.
Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Hmm... Okay, well how about classes that feel better after their changes? I seem to remember hearing good things about warlocks and death knights. While I have a couple characters that I consider my true mains, I also don't really mind trying other things.

I have always liked frost mages though, so perhaps I'll take a look! ^.^

Thank you all for your input! I admit I'm just really worried about spending all that money, just to end up finding it unenjoyable. Trying to get impressions and reviews from you guys first. :D

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Carnacki
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dragonblight US

Unread post by Carnacki »

DK and Hunter changes felt good to me. I didn't enjoy shaman or paladin or warrior specs. You'll be able to try out level 100's for free on a trial basis in Legion unless I'm completely mistaken.
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

My resto shaman doesn't really fell much different...just odd not having my pretty blue floating orb.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Demo, Fire, Unholy, Enhancement are the top dps atm. Vengeance, Blood, Guardian, and Brew are all very good tanks. Resto Shamans, Resto Druids, and Mistweaver are pretty good healers. Disc isn't bad, just very different and difficult to play.
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

Makoes wrote:My resto shaman doesn't really fell much different...just odd not having my pretty blue floating orb.
You do know that you can get that back via a toy now, right? This NPC sells the toy Waterspeaker's Totem.

Hmm lets see... for the specs I play that don't feel that different:

Elemental Shaman -I really don't see much in the way of change on this one-this was the easiest to relearn.

Outlaw Rogue-totally new spec-that really feels like Combat rogue used to be. The name and animations on the skills changed (and are so freaking fun to watch!), and you have a new combo point spending ability that gives you a random set of buffs, but rotation wise it feels pretty much the same as before.

Frost Death Knight-I can't tell much of a difference between pre and post Patch aside from the changes to runes. Feels the same, maybe even easier?

Shadow Priest-Changed a great deal-BUT it now feels like the old demonology warlock rotation: build up a resource, then burn through it and repeat. Not sure if it is for the better or worse right now, I got tired of demo lock for a reason, but it is not unfamiliar.

For ones that feel different:

Beast Master Hunter-you can read all of the changes about them. There are some things that seriously tick me off-the loss of camo, the way all pets have the same spec now, etc. Another big issue for me is that I or my pet keep targeting and attacking things that are not even in my bloody line of sight. Hopefully that last one is just a bug and will be fixed. I am horribly ticked off over the fact that stampede is a on the ground aoe essentially and only goes the way that you are facing-if the mob moves or the tank moves them you have a big burst damage ability that is just not hitting the enemy anymore. :( Flinging pets via the call pet ability is a lot of fun I will say!

Demonology Warlock-feels like an evil version of BM hunter really. Seriously, I don't feel that different when playing my demo lock than I do when playing my BM hunter except the demo lock feels a bit more clunky. You have a rotation of three demons that you summon, a buff spell for them, a DOT and a filler spell (though we do still have the drain life ability, always a love). Their new AOE is pretty fun.

Frost Mage-I read over the changes on Icy Veins and disliked what I read enough to change out of that spec. Fire is pretty danged fun to play right now.

Retribution Paladin-feels like they chopped it up and then mashed things back together again. The main rotation is just two build buttons and then four spenders. It feels really weird and I am not sure that I am going to play my pally that much this expansion because of it. Plus side it seems really easy to master at least, very simple overall.

Balance Druid-I've not gotten to play on mine that much yet, but it seems far easier than before in the past. The Eclipse bar is completely gone, removing what was my least favorite thing about them previously.

Feral Druid- didn't seem that different from what I recall, though it did feel really clunky to play. Though I don't think I gave myself enough time to really get used to it.

Windwalker Monk-I've not given this much of a chance yet honestly. I didn't really like monk before to start with (this was my boosted toon), but it looks okay. I do need to go back and give it a try eventually.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

I complained a bunch about some of the priest changes in the beginning, but after running a few timewalking dungeons, I can safely say that aside from a single spell replacement for flash heal, everything feels pretty familiar as a discipline priest. So I don't have fear ward - that doesn't change my rotation. Plea is a whole new ballgame, but it essentially works like Power Word: Shield used to. Basically all my emergency buttons are in pretty much the same place and I got compliments on my healing, so I'm satisfied. Bonus: having shadow-based heals means you're not SoL if you get locked out of holy.

However, I do miss having any sort of AoE as a disc priest. I'm actually going to have to respec to holy to run through lowbie areas spamming Holy Nova. -_-

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Ret has been a spec that has suffered greatly this xpac. It is similar in some ways to how Arms was in WoD, and people hate it. I have had many in my guild switch to Holy or Prot, or even go as far as to quit Pallies, because of Ret.
Chaix
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: malfurion

Unread post by Chaix »

ret would probably feel better if either a) judgement didn't do a lot of damage and became a short duration burst skill or b) had it's cool down shortened a bit

it's too powerful to let sit if you aren't ready to TV, JV or DT

i found demo lock works if you take demonic calling. it procs enough that you don't use shards on dreadstalkers and you turn into a caster rouge: build up cp with shadowbolt/demonbolt, spend on hand of gul'dan
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

From what I've played, Feral druids are basically the same with a few minor things here and there. So is Guardian druid. Pretty much the same. Resto didn't change much either.

Assassination rogues didn't change too much either.

Destro Warlocks felt the same for the most part.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Uh-oh Val (may I call you that?), my husband is not going to be happy if his beloved pally got bludgeoned to bits. He typically plays Prot since our guild always lacks tanks (and I tanked with him on my Blood DK, how precious!), but I know he prefers Ret. I will have to forewarn him, then.

I really appreciate your in-depth info, everyone! I have much to think about. And I'll try to find out if I can try the level 100 trial. That would be great if I could! As of right now, I'm thinking of sticking with my DK if I do end up getting Legion. I've heard that their overall changes have been positive, and I do genuinely enjoy Blood. Never tried Unholy though, so maybe now would be a good time.

You guys are the best! :hug:

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I don't mind at all. That is what my guildies usually call me anyways :). Yeah, there has been a lot of negative feedback on the changes to Ret. Got so bad that Icy Veins had to review their guide for Ret due to the backlash.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Prot pallies are fun. Ret doesn't seem that bad off to me. I dunno pallies too much but it feels the same. XD

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

For those whom main pallies, there is a noticeable difference for Ret. Relies too heavily on Judgement - making it similar to Arms in WoD, which many dislike/hated.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Is it me or does Ret seem ................... almost easier to use now??? :?

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!