What would you want to see updated in our pet families?

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.

Which would you want updated models of?

Bears
66%
Beetles
6%
Bird of Prey/Carrion Birds
3%
Core Hounds
5%
Basilisk
3%
Bat
2%
Gorilla/Monkey
8%
Succubus/Add in an Incubus
8%
Terrorguard
No votes
Shivarra
No votes

Total votes: 65

13thmaiden
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Re: What would you want to see updated in our pet families?

Unread post by 13thmaiden »

HYENAAAAAAASSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

But an incubus for chick warlocks (which should be called witches but yeah) would be nice too
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I'm starting to wonder if this poll and the one I ran previously have ended up being a curse. I wonder if someone at Blizzard did see these polls, and the huge vote for bears, and decided to rush something through that would have been better off waiting till they had time to do it properly :(
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Maybe the team thought it would be a simple enough bonus update since druid models were already getting worked on. As it turns out, it was more complicated than that. :/

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Kalliope wrote:Maybe the team thought it would be a simple enough bonus update since druid models were already getting worked on. As it turns out, it was more complicated than that. :/
I think you may be right. I suspect they probably saw it as being economical with a new model, even though it really needed a lot more work to adapt properly. Nothing really excuses the lack of proper skin matching, though. They had to make those from scratch and still didn't try to get them to match. :(
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

It's a big possibility the Blizz lurker(s) saw the polls and based their updates off that. Bears definitely were at the top of the list of needing revamp along with Hyenas etc. I know it was a lot of work creating the new bears and agree it was probably done because of the druid update. Just saddens me they're being left broken.

Shame there isn't an "all of the above" voting option. :lol:

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Wain wrote:
Kalliope wrote:Maybe the team thought it would be a simple enough bonus update since druid models were already getting worked on. As it turns out, it was more complicated than that. :/
I think you may be right. I suspect they probably saw it as being economical with a new model, even though it really needed a lot more work to adapt properly. Nothing really excuses the lack of proper skin matching, though. They had to make those from scratch and still didn't try to get them to match. :(
Yeah, I really don't understand the lack of color matching at all. You'd think that would be the easiest part! Just take from the existing palette. There are enough other beast skins/armors/etc. that use the same colors to exhibit evidence that their color info is stored somewhere internally. (Or c'mon, eyedropper tool it.) It's very silly that even that wasn't done.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

zedxrgal

Exactly Kalliope!

Perfect example!
Black moose:

Black bear???

I don't think it would be that hard to take the color they used for the moose and apply it to the bear. :roll: But maybe that's just me?

13thmaiden
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

I'm still not quite sure where they were going with the changes other than maybe making them more 'black bear in rl' style. Best I can come up with personally.

Because they've shown the ability to make a black skin similar to the one the original black bears had:

So it would be odd to think they can't do the same color palette on the bear....but then I've already put in my 2 cents about the bears.

Though I do hope for an updated hyena so long as it's back isn't broken....
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

zedxrgal wrote:Exactly Kalliope!

Perfect example!
Black moose:

Black bear???

I don't think it would be that hard to take the color they used for the moose and apply it to the bear. :roll: But maybe that's just me?
It's not hard. Especially so if they still have the layer styles required to make the different colorations in the first place.

For me, it would take a while because I would have to recolour it all on my own, but at Blizzard, they probably have at least two versions (diseased and not diseased) saved with those selections there, ready to be used at a moment's notice. Which means that they can just select, say, the parts of the bear texture that are the pure fur, create a new hue or color blending layer and fill it up with a new colour, like blue. They can also play with multiple layers, like one black layer set to the colour blending mode and then two or so that are also black that are set to the soft light blending mode.

Even for me, who has to start from scratch, it would take maybe an hour at most (because I'm very slow)
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Medjool

Unread post by Medjool »

I wish the anacondas would be tameable, their models look so good
pawprintedheart
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, WrA

Unread post by pawprintedheart »

Medjool wrote:I wish the anacondas would be tameable, their models look so good
I would love love love for these guys to be tameable. The models are beautiful and have been teasing me since Dire Beast first pulled them. -sigh-
13thmaiden
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

I love those pythons. But I'm still rooting for Hyenas, those poor things have suffered as much as the bears at being ignored.
zedxrgal

Yeah I was looking at my old rare spawn Galak Packhound hyena and it made me sad that he isn't being updated although hyenas desperately need it. Not sure who needs it more. Hyenas or gorillas. :(
Wish I could like raise kickstarter funds or something to send to Blizzard so hyenas could get some love too

Vivisector1880
Realm: Cenarius (A), Exodar (A), WRA (H)

Unread post by Vivisector1880 »

Medjool wrote:I wish the anacondas would be tameable, their models look so good
Look at that danger noodle. That snoot demands to be booped. And by "booped" I mean "tamed." But also booped.

As for model updates, I am really hoping to see old world bats get an update. I have a bat straight from Tirisfal (so glad I'm not on a PvP server) and I would love to see him with some fancy new fluff. One thing I don't want to see if Blizzard decides bats need love is to see the Draenor bat model being applied back to Azeroth. The Draenor bats are cool, but I'm unreasonably attached to Azerothian bats.
Nazja
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Nazja »

zedxrgal wrote:Yeah I was looking at my old rare spawn Galak Packhound hyena and it made me sad that he isn't being updated although hyenas desperately need it. Not sure who needs it more. Hyenas or gorillas. :(
Wish I could like raise kickstarter funds or something to send to Blizzard so hyenas could get some love too
Playable gnolls with new hyenas as their hunter starting pet would make me really happy.
13thmaiden
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Yessss those snoots, so cuuute! I would love it and snuggle it like a python needs!

As for updated hyenas and playable gnolls...? Maybe next x-pac, they'd be Hordies though, the gnomes would not stand for gnolls entering Ally after years of fighting Hogger and whatnot.

Hm, I could go for an update on the azerothian bats, I love bats (well I love all animals but you get the point) so they could use a bit of an update, but they would get the Draenor bodies most likely, they look very similar to the ones made for the trolls during the Pandarian x-pac