Hunter Talents and Spell Changes

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Re: Hunter Talents and Spell Changes

Unread post by Xota »

I think I read somewhere that there was table update to at least make the wild dire beasts better tied to their zones. But ya, I hope it's not a mandatory talent. I can imagines situations in pvp where both dire beast and "dire shot" would be a liability/benefit.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Xota wrote:I think I read somewhere that there was table update to at least make the wild dire beasts better tied to their zones. But ya, I hope it's not a mandatory talent. I can imagines situations in pvp where both dire beast and "dire shot" would be a liability/benefit.
I'm agreeing with you completely with this one. A lot of people (and myself included) can focus too much on the way they play their game. I've heard a mixed gamete on this, and quiet a few people saying that replacing Dire beast with a (Insert Focus Generating Shot ->HERE<-) is a waste of time if it does the same thing. And while I get this from my mostly light weight PvE perspective, what about Mythic raiders and PvP, it can't be said for all. With the most recent change to Dire Beast (Focus is now generated on time active, compared to attacks made) will even out potential focus issues (CC'ed/Stuck/LOS pets) I don't mind them looking at ways to still create different play styles among the specs. Some people might like the way BM plays, but prefer less companions, or even less visual clutter, etc.

I ended up making a suggestion on the forums a few days ago as well, but I'm sure other people much clever than I could come up with a more elegant solution to create flavor and depth without sacrificing to much fantasy or essence of what is to be a Beast Master. :)

• Posted by Celestalon
    We're also considering a talent that replaces Dire Beast with a new shot, and are interested in feedback and ideas on that concept.

Thanks!

A shot that could replace Dire Beast, that I think could fit thematically and traditionally, could be Viper Sting?

Dire Beast currently gives focus and deals damage. Viper Sting could have the same qualities in the fact it could be a damage over time shot that restores focus.

Viper Sting traditionally restored Mana back in the day, but now with us using focus, could fit nicely.

Also our focus spender being called Cobra shot, Viper Sting fits thematically quite nicely as well.

I'm aware that Viper sting as an ability is currently being used in the New PVP Talents in the 4th row, and that it reduces healing done. However that could be renamed into Widow Sting, keeping in on the same path and similar sounding to the current Widow Venom, which currently applies the reduces healing done.

Viper Sting could also interact with other factors as does Dire Beast (DB reducing BW and the likes), but maybe something a little different to set it apart from DS. Just so it doesn't end up being a "Ranged" DB, but also effects gameplay in an interesting and different manner.

Maybe a chance to proc a free Cobra Shot on damage, or a chance to add a small poison damage buff to you pets attacks, what ever thing would work well.

That said, thanks for listening to our feedback, I'm VERY excited to hear about the DB glyph and excited to see what you come up with next.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I'm glad they're looking at talent-/glyph-based work-arounds at least. But I feel even that is symptomatic of an underlying mentality that I think is unhealthy. That when confronted with a situation where a design is widely disliked, their first reaction is not to think "how can we change this?" but "how can we leave it as it is, but add things that will minimize complaints?". I think a feature that is widely disliked should never be base-line, rather the fix should be baseline, with a talent or glyph for people who do prefer it the less-popular way. That doesn't seem to be their way of thinking though, and I think it's evident in feedback on many design issues going back to Draenor. Essentially, it leaves you with the feeling that Alpha feedback on design is little more than worthless unless it reveals a bug or exploit, or so many people complain that they add a work-around. It gives the impression that most things are set in stone before Alpha even begins. I certainly believe they shouldn't knee-jerk fix things based on a few complaints, but I think their philosophy is the polar opposite.

On the other hand, it makes me extra grateful of the attention to feedback that we've received on hunter pets over the years. I think we're truly lucky :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

(Part of the above cynical rant may have been induced by barely-working painkiller medication after 2 weeks with a spasming shoulder and little proper sleep ;P If so, sorry ;) )
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

It just dawned on me that without traps Beastmastery hunters will be unable to tame certain mobs.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

Wain try a heating pad and see if it helps :hug:

Sukurachi I am very worried about that as well.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Sukurachi wrote:It just dawned on me that without traps Beastmastery hunters will be unable to tame certain mobs.
Deth'tilac is all that I can think of, that Wyvern sting, aspect of the turtle, and/or haste stacking wouldn't work for. And our damage output might make Deth'tilac doable without the trap tricks.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

The white flying serpents in Boring Tundra would not be tameable without a freezing trap.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Sukurachi wrote:The white flying serpents in Boring Tundra would not be tameable without a freezing trap.
They can be tamed without a trap, I say that only because I've tamed one and I don't know the trap method.

That being said, taming one feels frustrating. It would simple to modify the path a little to allow it to come near a ledge or closer to the ground.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

I might be incorrect and my memory a bit crappy, but wouldn't many of the spirit beasts be pretty hard to tame without traps? I know its one thing to be level 100 and go back to tame things like Ban'thalos or Loque'nahak, or Deth'tilac (or a lot of the challenge tames), but if you're a hunter that's at the same level as the pet or near it, that's a substantially harder thing to do without a freezing trap.

Not saying it's impossible, but I do think it will be more difficult for Hunters that are actually at the same level as the beast they're trying to tame. Which seems a bit unnecessary to me to do. But maybe it'll be balanced out since I know we have fairly short tame timers.

Sorry, I'm probably rambling about outdated info. XD But I still feel like removing freezing trap from BM seems a bit unnecessary.

Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

From Blue poster Cel when asked about Hunter pet threat.

"No. This should be solved in the build-after-next, where Growl will cause a little* more threat.

(*) 20x what it was, to be precise."

Im happy about this :D :mrgreen: