Good things about Legion

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Good things about Legion

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I don't think there is a way to unlearn glyphs anymore and it's driving me insane. I learned treant form on my druid and have decided I don't want it anymore and now there's no way to get rid of it.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

That's really odd. I hope they address this very soon! There's no way to know for sure you'll like something until you try it, so it stinks if you end up stuck with it.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Because that is a tome, not an actual glyph. It treats it like any normal spell that you would learn (outside of talents). You can't remove it.
Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Well, regardless of how it works, it still feels like an odd design choice to make changeable glyphs pre-Legion into permanent alterations in Legion. Another case of changing something for the sake of changing it? I mean, glyphs have changed a little every expansion, but this is really different and, in my opinion, unnecessary. I'm not a fan. :(

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Serenith
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US, Bloodsail Buccaneers Classic

Unread post by Serenith »

Vanishing powder is now supposed to remove glyph effects. I have not tested it out myself, but I noticed it the other day cause it is still something you can make as a scribe. Hopefully it works!

Adorable avatar by the very talented Lupisdarkmoon! Thanks!

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Ooo, great idea! I'll have to grab some and try it out. :D

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Rhyela wrote:Well, regardless of how it works, it still feels like an odd design choice to make changeable glyphs pre-Legion into permanent alterations in Legion. Another case of changing something for the sake of changing it? I mean, glyphs have changed a little every expansion, but this is really different and, in my opinion, unnecessary. I'm not a fan. :(
This isn't something new. Mages have had tomes for several xpacs now. They would grant them additional polymorph affects. They could never remove them once they learned them. They are just continuing something that has been in the game since Wrath.
Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

I guess I just meant that glyphs have been their own thing since they were implemented, and always worked a certain way. You could apply and remove them more or less at will. To suddenly change their function to work like tomes is just really strange to me. They should just call them tomes now, then. I do understand what you're saying, but I still feel that this is a rather weird change. If they let us remove them, then I'm cool. But to do what they did is just weird to me. That'd be like...changing swords to work like wands. Wands have always existed too, yes, but swords are not wands, and it doesn't make sense to just change them that way. That's probably a terrible analogy, but honestly it does feel that asinine to me.

Edit: this is cheesing me off more than it probably should. I don't care that mages have tomes. Glyphs are not tomes. Swords are not wands. Now I really do feel like devs are making arbitrary changes for the heck of it. "We need to change 90% of the game to call it an expansion, but we're only at 89%. What else can we change? Ah yes! Glyphs! Now they're tomes! Jim, save 'swords become wands' for the next expansion." They'd better change scribes into bookbinders and the AH heading into tomes. Or maybe they can change the name too and call them Pizzanoodles to really change things!

.....I'm going to bed. :lol: I'm not really angry at you, Val, just this change in general. I think it's beyond asinine. There's no justification. Hopefully Serenith is right and we can dust the glyphtomepizzanoodles off if we don't like them.

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Vanishing powder works on glyphs (which modify spells) just fine. I've removed lesser proportions with it, and you can buy some from the repair npc on your yak/mammoth, among other places.

Old glyphs which didn't modify spells, but added new spells, were changed to not be glyphs. Since they don't modify/replace a spell, there's not a way to remove them. Instead you just have extra spells or toys that you can choose not to put on your bar.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Xota wrote:Instead you just have extra spells or toys that you can choose not to put on your bar.
That unfortunately doesn't work for druids, since you can't remove a shapeshift option from your bar.

I wonder if Blizzard would be open to making some allowances for those special cases, since they add unmovable clutter.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Xota »

Kalliope wrote:
Xota wrote:Instead you just have extra spells or toys that you can choose not to put on your bar.
That unfortunately doesn't work for druids, since you can't remove a shapeshift option from your bar.

I wonder if Blizzard would be open to making some allowances for those special cases, since they add unmovable clutter.
While you can't take it off your stance bar trivially, it doesn't prevent you from using your baseline stances and it doesn't use a button spot that you would otherwise use for something else. I seriously doubt this "problem" is anywhere on their "to fix" list. Buttons have a Hide() function, so if the treant button's appearance bothers you that much, you can just hide it.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

How. Because the way I have my bar set up, the treant button interferes with the layout. And I have no idea how to hide just one button in a stance bar.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Xota »

First, I suggest trying out Bartender. It will let you move your stance bar, limit the number of buttons on it, change their size, and the spaces between them.

But if you just want a blank spot where the treant button is, you could do the following. This is off the top of my head, and I haven't had a chance to test it, but it would be along these lines. Hover the mouse over the treant button. The first line is to make sure you're hiding the right thing, it could all be done on one line otherwise.
/dump GetMouseFocus():GetName()
/run ButtonNameFromTheDump:Hide()

If it keeps showing up, then you'd want to do something like
/run ButtonNameFromTheDump:SetScript("Show",ButtonNameFromTheDump.Hide)

You'd be able to hard-code it into a custom addon. As a warning, the SetScript function can be used in malicious ways. The first argument is a triggering function. Whenever the game runs that function, it will follow that with running the second function. So in this example, every time the game shows that particular button, it will then follow that with a command to hide that same button. All of that should happen before any of it is displayed on the screen, so ideally you won't see a flicker or anything.

There are better ways to do the whole thing (as far as programming style goes), but that's the way I'd start. If none of that works, then I'll be able to post something that does in a week, when I'm able to log into the game.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I have bartender. That's actually why the treant button is annoying me; it's because it makes my stance bar uneven and since I made that bar pretty huge for speed of shifting, it's like...RIGHT THERE AND IN THE WAY and I have to stare at it and it bugs me constantly with its there-ness.

Helsinki
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Dalaran - US

Unread post by Helsinki »

Nachtwulf wrote:I have bartender. That's actually why the treant button is annoying me; it's because it makes my stance bar uneven and since I made that bar pretty huge for speed of shifting, it's like...RIGHT THERE AND IN THE WAY and I have to stare at it and it bugs me constantly with its there-ness.
What I've always done on my Druid is hide the stance bar entirely (set opacity to 0, move it far away) and then use a normal bar for the shape shifts that I actually use. Then you can set the number of buttons and all that other fun stuff and drag the shapeshifts out from your spell book (or macro them).

Super easy fix :)
Sarynotsorry - Dalaran
Helgada - Nesingwary
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Good things about Legion... well I am going to loop something about the Legion invasions in here since they are certainly tied together.

The invasion event has certainly had (and continues to have) its share of issues. Severe lag, XP changes, nearly unavoidable oneshot mechanics (like doom lord curse), obnoxious mechanics (felguard balls), mechanics that end up flagging you for pvp despite having pvp toggled off and being in a faction friendly zone (delirium), dying right as the boss dies and losing XP, and not to mention the fact leveling with invasions is nearly impossible on pvp realms (not an invasion problem but amplified by them). Yeah theres a lot of issues.

However it is so glorious to see both factions all mount up and fly together to kill bosses in phase 3, and seeing a sea of toons flashing gold as they ding. I absolutely love taking part in this.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

If you really want to get rid of the buttom, Nacht, then Bartender would be the way to do it. I am doubtful that Blizz will implement a way to remove it, seeing as Mages have had the Polymorph and Portal tomes for several xpacs and nothing has been added. The main reason some glyphs remained as glyphs and others didn't is because those that didn't relied on the old glyph interface. Since there aren't any spells that they can be applied to, like those that remained glyphs, they were made into tomes or toys.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I gotta say, the stampede thing is amazing. Also... won't lie, I love the scaling thing. I rolled YET ANOTHER gnome hunter at some stupid hour of the morning last night. I rolled out of the start area at Lv6...and right into an invasion. Here's me, with my what, two buttons?... holding my own against the Legion! In fact, me and a like...lv40-something... warlock killed off the named elite out at the frozen lake by ourselves. Okay, I died twice, BUT STILL.

And when it ended I was Lv16, haha.

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

The invasion event for lvling all those 90 alts I couldn't stand to do the starting quest with again - this is amazing. I got my horde shaman to 100 and I really love her now. The only downer was when I went to play my shadow priest, made this amazing mog for her and then found out shadow form is permanent!! wtf? sigh...

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »