Warcraft movie trailer

For discussion while BlizzCon is running. Anything pertinent to Legion will be moved to the Legion forum after BlizzCon is over.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Warcraft movie trailer

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Here's the link Thought someone should put it up haha
Kalasta
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Uther

Re: Warcraft movie trailer

Unread post by Kalasta »

LOL I already did in general chat..

A big thank-you to Tårnfalk for re-sizing this sig pic.

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

I must admit, it looks like it could be a pretty fun movie! I haven't dared get any hopes up because, well, after SWep1...
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

It looks like a lot more fun than the Hobbit movies I think.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I was very excited about the movie, and still am. It was one of my most anticipated films of the last few years (as soon as they started really talking about it).

But I hate to say a minor element will more than likely spoil the film for me: the music. It's by a composer I absolutely LOATHE. He's already ruined at least two films for me. I guess for many people out there it won't be an issue, they'll just hear "cliché 'epic' soundtrack music". I'm a professional composer, and for me it's a bit different. I don't watch movies to hear great music. But I also can't help when the music is absolute shi* that it completely ruins the experience for me.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Sorry if this sounds harsh. Everyone will get something different from the movie and I'm sure many people will love it. But for me, at least...

I hoped that those early bootleg scenes that were released some months ago were not indicative of the movie quality but apparently they were. I don't think I can watch this.

Some of the Orc prosthetics actually looked like rubber or makeup. One scene in particular, an orc's forehead looked like a woman who had used an inch of brown foundation. Garona looked like she was wearing Halloween fangs.

The humans looked like pretty 20-something modern boys that have had a lifetime of moisturising, so a makeup team dabbed a bit of this and that on their faces, and thought that would be enough to compensate for it. They looked like hipsters.

I think the cgi wolf would have looked more real to me if Jim Henson's company had made a muppet of it. Actually I probably would have loved that. :)

Overall I get the feeling this is a movie made on a tight budget. To use a tv analogy, more like Merlin than Game of Thrones. Many people loved Merlin, though. Personally I think they should have used the guys who directed the cinematic. The mood and look and detail of that was amazing. They really know their stuff.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

Wain wrote:Sorry if this sounds harsh. Everyone will get something different from the movie and I'm sure many people will love it. But for me, at least...

I hoped that those early bootleg scenes that were released some months ago were not indicative of the movie quality but apparently they were. I don't think I can watch this.

Some of the Orc prosthetics actually looked like rubber or makeup. One scene in particular, an orc's forehead looked like a woman who had used an inch of brown foundation. Garona looked like she was wearing Halloween fangs.

The humans looked like pretty 20-something modern boys that have had a lifetime of moisturising, so a makeup team dabbed a bit of this and that on their faces, and thought that would be enough to compensate for it. They looked like hipsters.

I think the cgi wolf would have looked more real to me if Jim Henson's company had made a muppet of it. Actually I probably would have loved that. :)

Overall I get the feeling this is a movie made on a tight budget. To use a tv analogy, more like Merlin than Game of Thrones. Many people loved Merlin, though. Personally I think they should have used the guys who directed the cinematic. The mood and look and detail of that was amazing. They really know their stuff.
Glad someone feels similar to me...I think the mix of the CG using WoW styling and human actors kinda ruins it for me. It doesn't feel cohesive whatsoever. The whole movie should've just been CG so stuff felt like it belongs together. Right now, it really bugs me how out of place the two races feel with each other.

I get ya on the orcs as well. Faces just didn't feel right...
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Mmmm, yeah I'm feeling bit iffy about the CG (it looks really cheap and...ehh), and I'm not really a fan of how that gryphon looked at all.

But honestly, even if it ends up being horrible, I know I'm going to go see it and probably enjoy it regardless just because of what it is.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Eh if they went full CGI it would of cost WAY WAY too much and would not be worth it at all. It would be a big as all hell flop. WoW's not that big.

Even if they did it full CGI it would not be anything near the cinematic levels. That would cost too much. They'd never make their money back.

Sorry about that I was just getting my animation nerd on ;-;
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

I actually was surprised that the orcs looked that good.
I expected a lot less, to be honest. (Although, little baby Thrall in Durotans Hand looked ridicoulus.)

But all look and no brain...
Let's hope they get the story right!

That's what bothers me the most about todays movies.
Most people seem to be content with effects and noone ever needs to tell a story anymore.
Since CG is a fundamental part of filmmaking, let's be honest, effects are limitless, that is why I'm not impressed anymore.
I am really more concerned about seeing a movie that tells a story that could be told in 3 minutes, because all the CG doesn't leave time to tell a story at all.
Bangeall
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Doomhammer EU

Unread post by Bangeall »

The orcs in the movie seem to be suffering from the same problem that the orcs in the game have: relatively small heads with huge muscular bodies and hands. Personally I think that using make-up effects would have been more effective for them. It would make them seem "real". They could have done something like what the LotR movies did with the orcs and Uruk Hai, but change their features a bit. It would also have the benefit of presenting to the public what many people would now recognise as an orc.

I thought the CGI looked very cartoony, which is funny as WoW itself has that cartoony look. I have to agree with Wain on some of the casting choices too, particularly for Llane. But I won't judge too harshly just yet. For me it will be all about how well they tell the story, no matter how bad the CGI is. I think part of the fun for WoW players will be looking for places that we recognise. "Stormwind! That's STOOOORMWIIIIIND"! :lol:
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

This ain't that easy.
Warcraft orcs do have a known style.
You can't just go and change that completely.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to change the look of orcs too much from the game. My criticism was more the texture of the skin makeup seemed to vary a lot in quality. Some of it really looked to me like someone who had trowled on the foundation too heavily. It had that "clay" look. And some of the teeth looked awkward.

I was amusing myself (which I do too easily) thinking about if they took other things too literally, though. Like characters making twisty motions with their hands and horses appearing under them ;)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

remember: first trailer, and the film's actual release is still 8 months away.
if everything were finished, the release wouldn't be that far. so more than likely, certain visual effects will be getting further rendering and detailing.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Kampfaxt
Realm: Baelgun

Unread post by Kampfaxt »

Will there be any events, giveaways, or promotionals on the date of the Warcraft movie release in June 2016?