Comparing two artifact quest lines

Everything Hunter-related, except pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Re: Comparing two artifact quest lines

Unread post by Shade »

I've gone and done the artifact quest on all of my alliance 100s. I tried really hard to avoid spoilers for all of them. (And I still need to get my warrior past those last 8 levels to get her into this expansion).

Beast Master Hunter-was fine, did not die at all and found it rather just meh. Not my favorite quest, the whole part about Hati just felt too manufactured.

Elemental Shaman-was alright, though it was rather... odd to see what Thrall did before I had my whole lightning rod moment. Also the questline itself took me somewhere that I was totally not expecting to go.

Outlaw Rogue-had to be one of the most fun artifact questlines that I have done. I had a ton of fun on it but I did die twice because I couldn't figure out the mechanics of a few of the fights before I finished.

Fire Mage-was okay-I found the setting to be a bit weird, but the questline was not that hard

Shadow Priest-felt SUPER Short-I was shocked that it ended as quickly as it did.

Havoc Demon Hunter-was fairly easy, and pretty quick to finish as you could skip a lot of the mobs.

Feral Druid-I spent most of the quest relearning feral, the quest itself was pretty easy with stealth though.

Windwalker Monk-this is my least favorite toon and the most poorly geared-I did feel like I was taking a lot of hard hits on her but I think that was mostly due to my ineptitude with the class and her really low item level.

Frost Death Knight-was alright-I died multiple times and had to stop and eat to heal up again and again before I remembered my control undead ability-it makes a huge difference.

Retribution Paladin-I died a few times on this-again she is one of my more lower specced toons. Quest was interesting, I hadn't expected the direction of that one to start.

Demonology Warlock-WAS THE LONGEST! Was amazed at how long that questline took-not that it was specifically hard-it was just a lot of small parts, and that was with me skipping some of the mobs in the way.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

From a pure story perspective, I'm curious as to how many of you who enjoyed the BM questline are/were engineers or engineering-inclined on the hunters that ran them?

For me, it would have been a perfect engineering or generic questline, but had absolutely nothing to do with beast mastery except that Hati gets shoehorned in right at the end, and it fell extremely short as a BM artifact questline/scenario as a result. Survival's story was sort of meh, but unlike both BM and MM, there are neat things you can do with your abilities to make things easier/different, which almost elevated it above my gross intolerance of 7.0 survival and certainly gave it an edge in the "which was best" contest. Thing is, neither MM nor BM have baseline utility beyond counter shot anymore, so Blizzard couldn't give that stuff to us, which is part of the problem :P

It wasn't the artifact itself, but I enjoyed the opening of the mage order hall a lot—I haven't done them all, but that's another example of class utility being used in a way to make things much easier (spellstealing the boss for the ridiculous leech buff) that 2/3 hunters didn't get.
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I've done initial artifacts on a number of specs now and the comparison is all over the board. All alts were invasion geared in the 685-690 ilvl area, which is WAYY more than a leveling toon would be (they would probably be in the 580-600 ilvl range).

Frost Death Knight: Disclaimer, my Frost DK was 706 ilvl, and I barely... BARELY got this done. The quest was cool but the mobs hit way harder than I could. I literally had to kite some of them and I died a couple times to the banshee packs. I used all the tools I had. This felt wayyy overtuned and I would love to try on a freshly dinged 100 DK with the 580-600 ilvl they would have from WoD questing. They'd get obliterated (no pun intended) if the mobs don't scale with ilvl.

Discipline priest: This was difficult because it never made clear my role. Was I supposed to do the tanking or was the dragon? Atonement healing didn't really seem to work on an NPC. The final boss was easy but the other parts were nail biting for me because the dragon kept getting super super low.

Enhancement Shaman: Seemed tuned fine for me. I got to half HP when I got overzealous with pulling mobs. Of all the artifacts I have done so far, this had the most obnoxious quest in Deepholm but I felt strong enough to handle it.

Retribution Paladin: I felt perfectly strong enough for this once I dug into my toolkit. I jumped in before researching the spec changes since the rotation felt pretty much the same. Otherwise I thought this one was good.

Feral Druid: Cakewalk. Felt more than strong enough to do.

Sukurachi wrote:My major disappointment with the BM questline was that when Hati "dies" at the end, you don't really feel anything because, well, this is basically the first time you meet him. Hati should have been involved in the questline somehow.

It's not like Blizzard don't know how to get your emotions in a turmoil with their quests... just the Broken isles scenario had me in tears at the end, and the hair on the back of my neck standing up in terror, and feeling pride in my Horde, and sympathy with the Alliance (a hard one to get me to feel.. being a fervent anti-alliance player).

So it's a bit disappointing to do a quest like this that SHOULD have had some major feels in it, and it's so cold and impersonal.
Xella wrote:From a pure story perspective, I'm curious as to how many of you who enjoyed the BM questline are/were engineers or engineering-inclined on the hunters that ran them?

For me, it would have been a perfect engineering or generic questline, but had absolutely nothing to do with beast mastery except that Hati gets shoehorned in right at the end, and it fell extremely short as a BM artifact questline/scenario as a result. Survival's story was sort of meh, but unlike both BM and MM, there are neat things you can do with your abilities to make things easier/different, which almost elevated it above my gross intolerance of 7.0 survival and certainly gave it an edge in the "which was best" contest. Thing is, neither MM nor BM have baseline utility beyond counter shot anymore, so Blizzard couldn't give that stuff to us, which is part of the problem :P
This has been my biggest problem with Titanstrike being tied to BM. I enjoyed the questline, it just had zero to do with Beast Mastery until that last moment. Like you said, you literally saw Hati minutes before you make this super deep bond with him. It honestly felt like they made a cool quest and then was like "oh this has nothing to do with Beast Mastery, quick plug something in at the end to tie it together" and BOOM, a poorly connected story. We are now techno-magic beast masters I guess. /shrug
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Re: Comparing three artifact quest lines

Unread post by Sukurachi »

ok, I finally got my Rogue up to new Dalaran and did his artifact quest for his swords.
And I have to say that had my Rogue been my main toon, I'd have told Blizzard where to shove the artifact swords and cancelled my accounts.

That Rogue quest has to have been THE single most annoying quest I've ever done. I'm not an expert on my rogue, but I'm not terribad either. But I swear I died at least 20 times. I was really racking up the repair bills there.

The story was ok, it felt more natural than the BM Hunter one, but the mechanics of the quest had me swearing up a storm (in French no less), as I was getting killed a half dozen times per mini-boss. And my Rogue was all equipped in pre-Legion launch event gear, most of it around level 720.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

I haven't had the opportunity to do many of the artifact quests yet, but the more I complete, the more I appreciate the hunter quests.

The arcane mage quest was the same as the discipline priest quest, with very minor alterations. :/ I understand that there were a great number of artifact quests that had to be created, but to run into a duplicate quest so early (from my POV) was disappointing.

At least with Titanstrike, I know that it's highly unlikely to share a path with others. Plus I've always liked Ulduar and spent a great deal of time trying to complete Firefighter, so I was bound to love that one the most anyway. And yet, it's ultimately the fact that the quest is unique from all the others that makes it my favorite.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Titanstrike does have a shared path with Truthguard, the Prot paladin's shield. It's the Vrykul tomb section in Stormheim, though the paladins enter a different door at the end of the windy hallway.
ImageImage
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I just did my Elemental Shaman's artifact quest... and it was FUN!
It FELT like an elemental quest.
I'm glad I did it.

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Shinryu Masaki wrote:Titanstrike does have a shared path with Truthguard, the Prot paladin's shield. It's the Vrykul tomb section in Stormheim, though the paladins enter a different door at the end of the windy hallway.
That's not too terrible. That's minimal shared content, since that's the least important part of the questline. Good to know, though.
Sukurachi wrote:I just did my Elemental Shaman's artifact quest... and it was FUN!
It FELT like an elemental quest.
I'm glad I did it.
Yessss, I love that one too! It's the only one that's on Titanstrike's level for me thus far.

P.S. even though the discipline priest and arcane mage quests are exactly the same except for a few minor changes (mostly dialogue), the quest was FAR more difficult as arcane. Like ridiculously harder. (Also I'm mad about the levitate/blink section and how our guide handled it on the mage side. Why would you make my priest levitate you when you could have done it yourself??? Lazy butt.)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I'm leery to start my DK and my Paladin now. They're classes I really don't play much, but I so want to get the pair into Broken Isles.

My DK is whatever spec get to keep his pet ghoul (I forget the name), and my Pally is Holy.

"Step on no pets!"

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Well, I took the plunge and did the artifact quests for my Holy Paladin and my Unholy DK.

The DK quest was fun, though very short, and surprisingly (for me) relatively easy. I'm usually an awful melée player.

The Holy Paladin one was more difficult since I REALLY don't play my paladin much (this is the first time I've levelled a paladin!), but the lore was very good! I kept getting confused with which buttons to press, I don't know the little icons for the various spells well-enough yet, so I kept missing healing opportunities. I also found the big speech scene at the end, when you empower your weapon, to be convincing and moving. (I wish the BM Hunter one had had that sort of emotional impact for me)

One thing I found interesting was in the DK quest... I've been doing Icecrown Citadel a LOT lately, for mounts, pets, achievements, and it was interesting to go back and speak to the new Lich King. That gave me a bit of a shiver.

I think my Druid is the only one of my toons that I haven't done the artifact quest with. It's also the final class for me. I will have artifacted my way to Legion with every class now, though not all specs. My Druid is Balance, so I don't know if I'll find it hard or not. Again, not a class I play often, though I've honestly played my Druid more than either my DK or Paladin. I AM very curious to do the artifact quest with him. It sounds like the lore could be fun.

"Step on no pets!"

Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

Unfortunately, the Balance artifact story is identical to the Unholy DK - it happens in the same place, in the same way, with only minor alterations. The only good thing to say about that one was that it was short and easy (it's also the same quest, same place for Affliction Warlocks). I've not done Guardian yet, but I really enjoyed the Restoration and Feral quests, if you want a recommendation!
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

@Mozag

aw poop :-(
I really don't like playing my druid in Feral. I've tried and tried and it's probably the only class/spec that I have never ever been able to get into.

I could try it as Resto.

Thanks for the recommendations.

"Step on no pets!"

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Well, I finally DID my Balance Druid, and yeah, Blizzard outdid themselves on this one. Not.

I was incredibly disappointed that it was just a rehash of the DK quest. But then, it's not like Druids have a lot of lore to work with, or really unique NPCs that could make appearances, and a special affinity to nature and life. /s

"Step on no pets!"

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

As a sort of continuation of this older thread, I thought I'd mention that I just finished the Rogue campaign questline, and I have to say I was simply blown away by how fun it was and by how much it truly reflected the mystique of the class in question.

"Step on no pets!"

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Of all the class OH questlines I really do feel the Rogue one definitely has the most engaging content. The Pally/Priest one is pretty good too but it's deflated somewhat by the fact it's basically spread across two classes.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I was surprised that I was actually able to get through the "PvP" section with no difficulty (I ended up having to fight only a single city guard who saw through my stealth while I was behind the auction house).

"Step on no pets!"

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I had to get help, because I am terrible at this game.

But help was got, and now I have beautiful ravens.

I just thought the whole plot about 'what really happened at Broken Shore' and the whole bit with Darkshire was really interesting.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I'm not up to rogue class mount yet, that's next on my agenda.
Does it also contain a "PvP" element, like the class hall quest did?

"Step on no pets!"

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I... don't think so. I can't remember. I had to get help with the pvp part of the quest because a) I suck and b) I'm on a high-pop super crowded server (MG) but I don't THINK I had to pvp twice.

pawprintedheart
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, WrA

Unread post by pawprintedheart »

So far I've only done the three hunter artifact quests and enhancement shaman.

I enjoyed Beastmaster--it wasn't super hunter-y or well anything I really felt tied to the spec, but it at least was a unique and engaging storyline and Mimiron totally made me laugh more than once. I didn't find it super hard. I think my pet died once, but popped turtle and revived him and kept going. I even enjoyed this one the second time around.

Survival was okay, but the spec is a ton of fun to me even if neither of my hunters play it, but I honestly don't remember much about the quest chain itself.

MM... umm. To be honest I must have accepted the start of this one, and I remember having to switch to MM, but then I got distracted and did something else so I'd swapped back to BM...and well, by the time I got around to doing this quest chain I was specced in BM and totally didn't realize it wasn't just a normal Legion invasion style quest until I saw the bow. So I can't speak for whether or not it was difficult or not, because I was BM and totally cheesed it. I won't lie I purposefully did it as BM on my second hunter because I have zero interest in MM.

Most recently I did the Enhancement Shaman quest...on my woefully, pitifully undergeared boost shammy. Owwww. I loved the quest line and it was a ton of fun, but I died multiple times on one mob. I'd never played shammy past lvl 40 or so, before I boosted her and then left so besides being pretty certain I sucked as a shammy I had to go looking for help. The moment I realized I had to remove corruption from the baddie things got a heck of a lot easier. I still barely squeaked by though lol Sooner or later I'll pick her back up and do her class campaign, but I've been totally sidetracked by my druid.

Next up for me is feral druid, but I have to finish leveling her first.