BM or SV?

Everything Hunter-related, except pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

BM or SV?

Unread post by Silivren »

Okay so I decided I'm gunna just level a brand new hunter! She's a tauren named Mhu, cause I think I'm funny. BUT! I'm having a dilemma, I kinda wanna go SV on her but I heard they aren't well.. surviving? And I don't know if there's really a niche for them. I mean, I had a whole brown/earthy stable planned for her as SV, which didn't include Hati. And I like to imagine her with Huln Highmountain's spear for rp reasons. So any input on how the two specs feel/what feels better of the two? :)

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: BM or SV?

Unread post by Vephriel »

If you're leveling from scratch I'd say you should give SV a try! It's super fun in low levels, but I can't speak for it at max because I haven't reached there yet myself. All I know is I'm really enjoying my alt and it's a new experience. :)
Sigrah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Sigrah »

Effigy wrote:Okay so I decided I'm gunna just level a brand new hunter! She's a tauren named Mhu, cause I think I'm funny. BUT! I'm having a dilemma, I kinda wanna go SV on her but I heard they aren't well.. surviving? And I don't know if there's really a niche for them. I mean, I had a whole brown/earthy stable planned for her as SV, which didn't include Hati. And I like to imagine her with Huln Highmountain's spear for rp reasons. So any input on how the two specs feel/what feels better of the two? :)
Survival is AWESOME!!!!!!! Seriously, it's fun flying around with harpoon strike and getting all up close and personal with my pet at my side. Makes you appreciate them all the more watching them rip the face off of some random murloc when leveling :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Effigy wrote:She's a tauren named Mhu, cause I think I'm funny.
I commend you on the name. That's always been my hunter's name ;)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

Mhu is an awesome name for a Tauren! I can even picture Khau (my Tauren) having a little sister named Mhu :D

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I personally vote SV, especially if you're making a tauren and think you might want some link to Huln Highmountain. My husband and I are doing the Highmountain quests right now and we had a :O moment tonight in the story. SV is really fun at high level (I'm currently 105), and honestly the damage just seems to get better. I mean, that's kinda obvious, but I meant that it was a concern before. As far as survivbility, I haven't really had too much of an issue. My tenacity pets tank just fine unless I'm fighting something I shouldn't be fighting (a level 110 mob). When I do pull off of them, whatever it is is usually already halfway dead and I can just FD and go at it again. I honestly haven't had issues so far, and I'm having loads of fun. I definitely think you should at least give it a shot. :D

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

SV is great. Anyone that tells you otherwise... is probably not doing it right. I have way more survivability (ha!) than the current iteration of BM, because pets are so smooshy right now, and my dps, especially in AOE, is way off the charts. Now, that's at 100, I'll give you, but it just feels very solid and natural. Getting out of floor poop can be tricky but aside from that, I really really enjoy it.

Another thing is that BM is very very noisy right now. Thankfully they removed Dire Beast's whistle but they still roar when they appear, so between DB roaring, KC 'DOINK' noise, stomp noise, BW yelling, half a dozen beasts of one sort or another making a dozen different attack noises, AND the sound of your weapon... it's enough to give me, at least, a raging headache in less than an hour of questing. Your mileage may vary, but I don't like it. @_@ (Also once you get the option to have a bodyguard it's just... too much business. You, your actual pet, Hati, and then some npc, PLUS dire beast, PLUS stampede if you took it... just.. way too much business.)

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Aweena
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Aweena »

Personally i like both BM and SV i cant fully decide on one spec at least for solo and questing, For dungeons and raids i personally prefer being out at range.

All in all both seem easy enough to play and survive equally nicely for me.

I can see how BM might be overwhelming to some with all the beasts it now has but luckily the dire beasts despawn rather quickly when done and stampede well i never use it,
SV is a ton of fun if you want to try something new i really enjoy the close combat in it when running around half in character for my own amusement.

If love is an illusion to hell with reality

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Nachtwulf wrote:SV is great. Anyone that tells you otherwise... is probably not doing it right. I have way more survivability (ha!) than the current iteration of BM, because pets are so smooshy right now, and my dps, especially in AOE, is way off the charts. Now, that's at 100, I'll give you, but it just feels very solid and natural. Getting out of floor poop can be tricky but aside from that, I really really enjoy it.

Another thing is that BM is very very noisy right now. Thankfully they removed Dire Beast's whistle but they still roar when they appear, so between DB roaring, KC 'DOINK' noise, stomp noise, BW yelling, half a dozen beasts of one sort or another making a dozen different attack noises, AND the sound of your weapon... it's enough to give me, at least, a raging headache in less than an hour of questing. Your mileage may vary, but I don't like it. @_@ (Also once you get the option to have a bodyguard it's just... too much business. You, your actual pet, Hati, and then some npc, PLUS dire beast, PLUS stampede if you took it... just.. way too much business.)
This for me also. Like 100%.
With SV at high levels it's engaging and fun. I've zero issues with survivtability and like Nacht said my dps is really high. And I have just normal gear.

In order for me to tolerate BM I have to completely shut my sound off. Even then the spec bores the bahjesus out of me compared to SV. The other thing that bothers me. Hati. Hati EVERYWHERE. He's a handsome boy but seeing at least 10 or 15 no matter where I go has made me not want him at all.

I leveled a gnome hunter from scratch with SV. It was a hoot all the way to 100. She was able to solo some elites during invasions. Yes there were some "Oh crap :o " nail biting moments while leveling her but overall I was quite impressed with how well she help up and survived.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!