Rejoice! Survival Hunter Mastery *somewhat* fixed!

Everything Hunter-related, except pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Rejoice! Survival Hunter Mastery *somewhat* fixed!

Unread post by Maizou »

From the hotfix notes:
Survival Hunters' Mastery will correctly be activated by pet auto-attacks.
According to the official forums, it's about a 10-15% dps buff by fixing this bug, AND due to Spiked Collar, it's now MORE OPTIMAL to use a ferocity pet for survival one again.

Unfortunately, Mortal Strike can still proc mastery, so we're still stuck with a River Beast, Scorpid, or Carrion Bird, but it's a step in the right direction!

People are currently testing to see if Snake Hunter is worth taking still, or if Murder of Crows will be better, as the new Mastery fix apparently makes it really easy to get to 6 stacks without needing Snake Hunter. It also apparently makes Mastery and Haste more valuable, with the top SV hunters agreeing we want to -try- to get to at least 8-10% mastery.
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU Magtheridon

Re: Rejoice! Survival Hunter Mastery *somewhat* fixed!

Unread post by Shelassa »

It's very good news!

A friend of mine had mentioned that he'd seen a surprising amount of procs of Mongoose and even abandoned Snake Hunter for AMoC, but it's nice to see it put into blue words from Blizzard.
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

Holy hell, that's why I was getting all those mongoose bite charges. Good to know. I thought I'd just gotten crazy lucky (Headless Horseman's mount finally dropped!) or something. I'll probably still stick with snake hunter personally for the time being, I find it pretty convenient and sometimes you don't get all those procs.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

For PvP I'm sure going to stay with Snake Hunter - sometimes getting those 3 charges on demand is just too good to pass up :D
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

With this change, is it still recommended to leave our pets in tenacity spec or is ferocity better?

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

It's kind of tucked away, but because of Spiked collar, Tyger, it's higher dps to once again use Ferocity. The mortal wounds issue still limits top-tier to the 3 families, but that's only for super min-maxing afaik, and if you're doing that, other melee specs have much higher output anyways

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Myzou wrote:Unfortunately, Mortal Strike can still proc mastery, so we're still stuck with a River Beast, Scorpid, or Carrion Bird, but it's a step in the right direction!
Whats the loss if not using Mortal Strike pet? Surely it can't be but a few points over the course of a fight (trying to gauge if this is min-max territory or a substantial loss).
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

Quiv wrote:
Myzou wrote:Unfortunately, Mortal Strike can still proc mastery, so we're still stuck with a River Beast, Scorpid, or Carrion Bird, but it's a step in the right direction!
Whats the loss if not using Mortal Strike pet? Surely it can't be but a few points over the course of a fight (trying to gauge if this is min-max territory or a substantial loss).
It's one less thing they can do to proc an extra charge, so it's all RNG based.
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

In addition to Mastery tweak, in the latest PvP Balance changes:
(Survival) Stamina has been increased by 15%.
Developer Notes: As a melee DPS, Survival Hunters have been a bit too squishy in PvP, so we're increasing their Stamina.
Obviously, PvP only. Changes are being tested and are scheduled to go live after the maintenance.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

So apparently, haste is now our best stat. Stat priority has changed to Haste >= Vers >= Crit > Mastery. Unlike before, Mastery is not bad, it's just not as important as the other 3 stats. So this change has actually made all 4 stats useful for survival, unlike prior to the fix, where Crit and Vers >>>>> Haste and Mastery.

Keep in mind until SimCraft updates with this hotfix, it will sim Haste and Mastery as less than ideal, so use common sense when deciding on gear upgrades. If you use Pawn, I'd suggest using Icy Vein's basic stat weights until SimCraft updates with the change.

( Pawn: v1: "Azor-Survival": CritRating=6.57, Agility=9.55, HasteRating=6.77, MasteryRating=5.25, Versatility=6.64, Dps=9.55, MeleeDps=9.55 )

And according to icy vein's guide writer and the simcraft people, survival has moved from the lowest dps class to the highest -potential- single target dps class with this bug fix.

What even just happened. (Potential and Single Target are key words there. In a perfect environment with absolutely no cleave, etc.)
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Gimlion wrote:It's kind of tucked away, but because of Spiked collar, Tyger, it's higher dps to once again use Ferocity. The mortal wounds issue still limits top-tier to the 3 families, but that's only for super min-maxing afaik, and if you're doing that, other melee specs have much higher output anyways
Thanks! I'm not too worried about min/maxing for this character. She's just for fun and I'm still leveling her anyway. :)

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

And since we're on the topic:

https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/793494273735876608

Blizzard is officially looking into the fact pet's Mortal Strike attacks can proc SV's Mastery.