Small Pet Peeve of Mine, what's yours?

Everything Hunter-related, except pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Valka
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: WrA US

Small Pet Peeve of Mine, what's yours?

Unread post by Valka »

So, something that has always annoyed me is when worgens use any form of wolf or dog pet. I know it's silly, I understand that worgen are just humans that got bitten, but it just bothers me that a "wolf" is using a wolf pet. I know many will disagree, but it's just something I dislike.

Anyone else have a hunter pet peeve?

Image Valka - Nagrand (US)

Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Re: Small Pet Peeve of Mine, what's yours?

Unread post by Xella »

People not naming their pets, or naming them something ridiculous. I almost feel like if you have an active pet for X amount of play time and you haven't named it, it should get a random generic name instead of "Wolf" (but I guess if you deliberately named your wolf Wolf, it'd stick). Unnamed pets in dungeons and raids is a huge warning flag for me, either on my hunter or as a tank, that the hunter in question is likely to not care about... well, anything. Could be a bot, could have growl on (which I also think should automatically be turned off of auto-cast once you zone into an instance; you should be able to re-enable it but none of this "forgetting" to turn it off nonsense). Could be a real person who just doesn't know any better but the higher your character level gets, the less likely it is that that's actually the case.

That'd probably take a fair amount of dev time to figure out, and with the need for hunter pets to still use the inscription thing to rename their pets it might not be the best, but ugh.

Pet growl, early pulls, and the general "hunters = bad" stereotype also bother me (I got kicked out of SO many Ordos groups in MoP because some hunter or rogue was MD/tricks trolling and nobody but me had addons that could figure out who, so the leaders/assist decided "just kick all the hunters" and I'm still bitter about it), but those all are neither "small" nor "pet peeves," haha
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Xella wrote:People not naming their pets, or naming them something ridiculous.
Depending on what you mean by "ridiculous", I might be guilty of this XD

I have weird naming rituals for my pets depending on whether or not I 'planned' to tame it. By that I mean like... there are some pets that I see on PTR or beta and I just decide "Oh my god, I must have that pet I will be camping for it." I knew right from the start what I'd be naming that pet and they usually end up with a rather 'typical' name (Stormwing, Tempest, Odin, Grimm, etc.)

But then there are some pets I don't plan on taming and that I either bump into in the open world and I just love and want to have OR like back when pets had raid buffs, whatever buff my raid was missing. Since I never planned to tame these pets, I could never come up with names for them, so I would name them "whatever was on my desk" because I didn't want them to just be "nameless". Thus I ended up with Lamp, Stapler, and Notebook. I had more, but when raid buffs weren't a thing anymore, I released many for the stable space. But some I kept because they became some of my guild's favorite pets/mascots for our raid. Especially Lamp. They love Lamp.

So sometimes pets have ridiculous names but trust me, I love them just as much as my 'legit' named pets XDD

Not sure I have anything that goes into "pet peeve" territory. XD

Valka
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: WrA US

Unread post by Valka »

Yes I agree with this. Today I found a pet loque with a dumb name and thought, why would you camp for hours/days just to name it that?

Image Valka - Nagrand (US)

Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Xella »

Oh no, stuff like that's totally fine. I'm talking about pets whose names are pretty obviously against the naming policy, and also things like "IEATU" or "watugonadobtit" or the like.

Hunters and pets who share a name also bother me, but that's marginally less common these days than it was when PvPers would name themselves identically so that targetting addons wouldn't target the right entity (or when my guildmates would name their pets after our tanks—this was pre-[@focus] so our MD macros all had specific player names in them)
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Vahlka wrote:So, something that has always annoyed me is when worgens use any form of wolf or dog pet. I know it's silly, I understand that worgen are just humans that got bitten, but it just bothers me that a "wolf" is using a wolf pet. I know many will disagree, but it's just something I dislike.

Anyone else have a hunter pet peeve?
My worgen hunter not only has a wolf pet (2 if you count Hati) but a wolf mount, plus has transmogged himself into a wolf theme. Embrace the wolf!

(obviously I don't RP, I just like wolf-ception)
Valfreya
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind, Blackrock

Unread post by Valfreya »

Xella wrote:People not naming their pets, or naming them something ridiculous. I almost feel like if you have an active pet for X amount of play time and you haven't named it, it should get a random generic name instead of "Wolf" (but I guess if you deliberately named your wolf Wolf, it'd stick). Unnamed pets in dungeons and raids is a huge warning flag for me, either on my hunter or as a tank, that the hunter in question is likely to not care about... well, anything. Could be a bot, could have growl on (which I also think should automatically be turned off of auto-cast once you zone into an instance; you should be able to re-enable it but none of this "forgetting" to turn it off nonsense). Could be a real person who just doesn't know any better but the higher your character level gets, the less likely it is that that's actually the case.

That'd probably take a fair amount of dev time to figure out, and with the need for hunter pets to still use the inscription thing to rename their pets it might not be the best, but ugh.

Pet growl, early pulls, and the general "hunters = bad" stereotype also bother me (I got kicked out of SO many Ordos groups in MoP because some hunter or rogue was MD/tricks trolling and nobody but me had addons that could figure out who, so the leaders/assist decided "just kick all the hunters" and I'm still bitter about it), but those all are neither "small" nor "pet peeves," haha

Ive been a hunter for 12 years, and i currently have two pets that I love to use, but haven't named them yet because Im stuck at finding the perfect name, and ive had them for months. So I wouldn't be to fast to judge on the non named pets being a nub, bot or shitty hunter lol.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Xella »

Yeah I'm not saying every hunter who has unnamed pets active is like that (I had to strong arm one of my old guild's hunters to name his stupid mechascorpion cos it was driving me crazy every time he'd swap to BM), but it's more... I dunno. There are exceptions to every rule, but more often than not, when I'm tanking on an alt the pets that pull aggro via growl in Legion-level dungeons don't have names.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

This is a very very common thing and I feel bad that I always get kind of haughty about it, but rare pets named what they're called in the wild has always bothered me. This goes quadruple for Loques named Loque/Loquenahak and on a slightly lesser part, Skolls named Skoll.

I've also always been a bit too much of a roleplayer at heart to jive with the concept of collecting only the rarest and hardest to find pets as a way to display a player's skill/dedication to the hunt. There's honestly nothing at all wrong with that, beyond my own hyper exaggerated wariness of arrogance (which I'm sure isn't actually what's going on), I just gravitate towards pets that fit the character or that don't get a lot of attention otherwise.

Frankly, I think that second one purely came from early Cata- when there was a brief period where so many people had a stable of Every SB/Every Unique Cata Rare/a sabercat of some sort that it was the plain, everyday pets that started catching my eye the most. Not that I can honestly say much! I know for sure that I've tamed every rare of that era, too, I'm just too gosh darn picky with my stable to keep any pets that don't have a specific reason to hang around.

(as always these are pet peeves that mean no offense, and I don't consider any of these to be the True and Proper opinion- if anything they're very silly things to be irritated by, and anyone with a stable of rares all named what the mob is called, y'all are great)

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Rikaku »

Xella wrote:Oh no, stuff like that's totally fine. I'm talking about pets whose names are pretty obviously against the naming policy, and also things like "IEATU" or "watugonadobtit" or the like.

Hunters and pets who share a name also bother me, but that's marginally less common these days than it was when PvPers would name themselves identically so that targetting addons wouldn't target the right entity (or when my guildmates would name their pets after our tanks—this was pre-[@focus] so our MD macros all had specific player names in them)
Haha no worries. Even if it was at me, hey! It's all good :D I just thought it'd be a funny story at least! Though, ironically, Lamp is a Sporebat who looks identical to the one in your signature. So it was amusing either way (at least to me, lol!)

LupisDarkmoon wrote:This is a very very common thing and I feel bad that I always get kind of haughty about it, but rare pets named what they're called in the wild has always bothered me. This goes quadruple for Loques named Loque/Loquenahak and on a slightly lesser part, Skolls named Skoll.

(as always these are pet peeves that mean no offense, and I don't consider any of these to be the True and Proper opinion- if anything they're very silly things to be irritated by, and anyone with a stable of rares all named what the mob is called, y'all are great)
I'm DEFINITELY guilty of this one. I have a Skoll named "Sköll" and Gara is named "Gara". XD Though, it wasn't because of something of unoriginality. I kept Gara's name Gara because I felt that I wasn't the original owner, so I had no right to rename her. So I kept the original name. Originally my Skoll was named "Raiju", but when Legion came out and it was told that Skoll was Thorim's wolf, I changed his name back to Sköll because I felt that was his original name given to him by his original owner.

So even though I kept them the same, there was (personally) a reason for it.

And definitely NO offense was taken at all XD As I said before, I just find some of the pet peeves really amusing because sometimes it's a good way to share stories and talk about why some people do the things they do, even if its a tiny peeve.

I did think of one "pet peeve" though.

Hydra pets, especially that one from Blackwing Descent. I tamed it too, so I'm guilty of the same crime, but anyone who has that pet... @________@ Oh my gosh that constant hissing and growling sound it makes during idle animations. Why it does it SO OFTEN is beyond me. But as soon as I see a Hunter with that pet, I will instantly go to a different end of the lodge XDD

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Rikaku wrote: I did think of one "pet peeve" though.

Hydra pets, especially that one from Blackwing Descent. I tamed it too, so I'm guilty of the same crime, but anyone who has that pet... @________@ Oh my gosh that constant hissing and growling sound it makes during idle animations. Why it does it SO OFTEN is beyond me. But as soon as I see a Hunter with that pet, I will instantly go to a different end of the lodge XDD
Ohhh my goodness, I remember when I went to a big RP event once with my ghost hydra summoned. I had my sound off and the poor people around me had to tolerate that monster's CONSTANT hissing for a good half hour before someone whispered me and I quickly dismissed my pet in shame.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Boven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Now is probably not a good time to mention that my Tauren hunter named his Ox pet 'Girlfriend.'
Novikova
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Stupid pet names. Like MyLoque or Minenotyours on a rare. Congrats, Captain Obvious. I'm still bitter someone could name their cat P*nis or RAPEYOU and I can't name my shale spider Jade. :| I'm not necessarily a fan of rares with the name OF the rare, but I've mellowed out on that one over the years.

People who camp on a rare spawn spot with said spawn. Yes, you got it. Cool beans. Now leave me to camp in peace. Because I enjoy camping as much as I enjoy trying to chew my own foot off and having the damn thing staring me in the face is a pain in the donk.

Also I hate that it often takes me weeks to think up a good name.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Vahlka wrote:
Yes I agree with this. Today I found a pet loque with a dumb name and thought, why would you camp for hours/days just to name it that?

A hobnob is actually a term that means to associate with someone very friendly, or it's a brand of cookies. I don't think that names stupid. Names that are against ToS are stupid. I know someone with a wolf named Doggie who gets told that's a dumb name all the time, but in the end it isn't really your pet though and if they aren't breaking the rules or being antagonistic with it, idk it doesn't bother me.

I always report nasty names though, naming your wolf Pantysniffer is gross my man, do not do that. Just one example I came across.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

The fact instant cast spells that deal damage immediately counts for tag credit, but instant cast spells with flight time do not if the mob dies while the ability is in flight. I've lost count how many times I have run up on a quest mob, activate an instant cast ability on a valid living target, but by the time the ability reached the mob, it was dead, therefore dealt no damage and therefore did not give tag credit. This is something I love about other classes because I can't recall any instant hunter ability that deals damage immediately with no flight time (like Howling Blast, Shadow Word Pain, or Moonfire). I wish Murder of Crows did.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

LupisDarkmoon wrote:This is a very very common thing and I feel bad that I always get kind of haughty about it, but rare pets named what they're called in the wild has always bothered me.
I wonder if this is an example of the clash between the immersion of the individual player and the immersion of everyone around them, similar to everyone having that one unique legendary or the same unique follower. To the player who does the taming, that pet IS that original NPC so it makes sense to name it that and they may feel weird naming it anything different, but to others with the same pet it breaks RP. I'm not sure there's a real solution for that.

For other things, like unique equipment, it could be possible for every other player to see a generic name rather than the true one, e.g. the player sees that they're wielding Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros, while everyone else sees some generic name for a big, fancy hammer. But that doesn't really work for Hunter pets.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

I agree with the pet name peeves - either not naming it (although I am guilty of having a rare kitty still called cat mainly because I haven't used her but can't bare to let it go yet either - yeah I'm weird) or giving it some stupid joke name to a rare (like eaturface) when I have to give my blue fox funny characters to name them ladyblue and scarface :S

Rares called what they are don't bother me as much but it's kinda like a cry for attention in my book "look at me and my special rare pet!" but I'm guessing not everyone who does this is being a attention seeker.

And the whole "hunters are an easy class so you must be bad" stereotype especially during a certain expansion when we sucked as a dps class and it took all my skill to stay relevant in my raid team ergh...

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

It also comes from that hunters are/were very very popular, so a lot of people roll them. Many people don't bother to learn to do it well or cannot. I tanked on my monk and one run I was ready to shank the hunter for pulling random mobs, having growl on and so on. I think people also notice hunter pulls more.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Stupid names bother me too, like a Loque named "Buttchewer" or whatever, but I think I'm even more irritated when the first letter of the name isn't capitalized. Proper nouns, people! :lol:

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Rikaku »

I think in regards to pet names, the only thing that bothers me is when people don't capitalize their pets properly. I mean overall, its a minor peeve, so I don't really care (people name your pets whatever you want XD). But it always makes me shake my head a bit when I see "biscuit" or "MUFFIN" as pet names, IDK why. Maybe it's because, in my crazy mind, I feel like whether you name the pet a silly or serious name, it's still a name. Why is it not capitalized right? XDD

Edit:
Rhyela wrote:Stupid names bother me too, like a Loque named "Buttchewer" or whatever, but I think I'm even more irritated when the first letter of the name isn't capitalized. Proper nouns, people! :lol:

I totally didn't see this post before I posted mine, lol! Well at least I have some company then!