Hunter Changes in 7.1.5

Everything Hunter-related, except pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU Magtheridon

Hunter Changes in 7.1.5

Unread post by Shelassa »

* sees Hunter picture behind Ion with Patch 7.1.5 Class Updates *

* hears about traps *

* tears up *
Last edited by Shelassa on Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WingedCaduceus
Realm: Borean Tundra

Re: Blizzcon 2016

Unread post by WingedCaduceus »

TRAPS ARE RETURNING, HOLY YES
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

WingedCaduceus wrote:TRAPS ARE RETURNING, HOLY YES
Thank god
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

And everyone cheers at blizzcon when they tell us new and exciting news of... getting our toys/classes abilities back.
(Which I'm grateful for, but for the love of all that's ironic, I can't believe we fell for that)

Well played Blizzard, well played. :lol:

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

SpiritBinder wrote:And everyone cheers at blizzcon when they tell us new and exciting news of... getting our toys/classes abilities back.
(Which I'm grateful for, but for the love of all that's ironic, I can't believe we fell for that)

Still no news on our favorite toy, EotB, so sad. :cry: :mrgreen:

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

SpiritBinder wrote:And everyone cheers at blizzcon when they tell us new and exciting news of... getting our toys/classes abilities back.

LOL

To be honest, I'm just glad that Hunter was mentioned. It was pretty clear they were addressing a lot of the Hunter crowd, what with all the Hunter background art and mentioning of traps. And 'overpruning'.

So, while there's not a lot definite, I'm just happy it was mentioned (unlike the previous Q&As).

Zebab

Unread post by Zebab »

Some guy on the forums said eyes of the beast is back. Is this true? Anyone have any sources? Please god let it be true EotB was one of my favorite flavor abilities in the game.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Hunter Changes in 7.1.5

Unread post by Wain »

OK, I created this thread from the main one, by splitting off most of the posts that are related Hunter change announcements. Unfortunately a couple of posts had to be left behind as they addressed multiple topics. Hope it makes sense :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

I may piddle myself if EotB comes back. Oh please let this be true.

I like that this was separated from the main thread.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Oh my god. I've been really busy with university and haven't picked up Legion yet. But traps are returning...?! It's too good to be true!
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Personally, I wish they would leave traps survival only. It does help in separate the 3 specs into identities of their own. However, the specs do need utility. As such, give replacements for the skills:

For Freezing Trap, give them "Pin Down" - "Shoot a projectile at the target location, pinning down the first target it hits for 30 seconds. Any damage caused may interrupt the effect."

For Tar Trap/Frost Trap, give them something like "Oil Slick" - "Blanket an area of ground with oil-covered projectiles, covering the ground beneath them for 30 sec. All enemies have 50% reduced movement speed while in the area of effect."

Explosive Trap? Same thing, but this time, it would be a delayed reaction. "Blanket an area of ground with explosive arrows, that explodes when an enemy approaches, causing X Fire damage and burning all enemies within 5 yards for X additional Fire damage over 10 sec."

BM and MM could use more immediate reactions than delayed (first target walks over it) like survival, since survival is melee anyway. The only exception would be Explosive, as then it wouldn't really be much of a trap. :P
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

I really don't miss explosive trap, except in the sense of it being another potential AoE to try and make up for my pathetic MD threat (why must our other two hunters, who play MM and are therefore theoretically better at MD, be so bad at remembering to MD? ;_;). I really dislike ground targeted DPS abilities; I'm not super fond of them for other applications either but at least freezing trap being throwable meant I didn't have to worry about my pets barreling off after my CC. Maybe some day they'll finish the oft-gassed about @mouseover capability for it, but to be fair even that wouldn't save me from the dozens of times I've placed a trap (or binding shot) on a chandelier instead of on the ground one pixel to the right of it.

Wyvern being renewable/chainable and baseline would make up for Freezing (even if that would make me have to decide between setting my focus as my CC target or my MD target), and I mean I guess they could come up with something unique and special to replace/reinstate frost? But honestly, why would they? Traps have been part of our identity so long and they already screwed up by swapping the names arcane/cobra shot in a purely arbitrary move just to make life more confusing than necessary. Surely they wouldn't make the same mistake... well, more than twice.
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Freezing trap is the one I find myself wishing I had. Wyvern sting just doesn't quite fit the bill. Mostly because the duration is shorter than the CD.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Xota wrote:Freezing trap is the one I find myself wishing I had. Wyvern sting just doesn't quite fit the bill. Mostly because the duration is shorter than the CD.
^ This right here.

Any other traps are a bonus. This is the one I miss the most.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Albain
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Albain »

I don't mind traps being survival only but provide utility EQUAL to traps. None of this 30 second CC on a 45 second CD crap.
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU Magtheridon

Unread post by Shelassa »

From WoWHead:
- Survival Hunters are a bit lacking in unique utility. Not a perfect idea on how to fix this quite yet. In addition, the fantasy of a Survival Hunter may not have been sold well at launch.

- Survival will have way better traps than BM/MM traps. One idea: if traps persist for some amount of time, without being triggered, then they become empowered. When they are next triggered, they become way stronger.

- Marksmanship Hunters may get some base talent changes in 7.1.5: the Patient Sniper row. Feels required to make the spec fun, a lot more fun than the baseline version. So baseline Marks gameplay will be more heavily inspired by that talent.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Shelassa wrote:From WoWHead:
- Survival Hunters are a bit lacking in unique utility. Not a perfect idea on how to fix this quite yet. In addition, the fantasy of a Survival Hunter may not have been sold well at launch.

- Survival will have way better traps than BM/MM traps. One idea: if traps persist for some amount of time, without being triggered, then they become empowered. When they are next triggered, they become way stronger.

- Marksmanship Hunters may get some base talent changes in 7.1.5: the Patient Sniper row. Feels required to make the spec fun, a lot more fun than the baseline version. So baseline Marks gameplay will be more heavily inspired by that talent.
Glad that Blizz gets what's wrong with survival. Survival needed more of a hook than "you're melee with traps." Other melee classes have more mobility and better theming. Even enhancement shamans have pets. Of course, playing up the pet angle is dodgy, since survival could easily become "melee BM," which isn't exactly what they're looking for either.

Maybe give surv a different set of weapon enhancements than marks gets as a possible option.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Xota on another thread just reminded me... I just tweeted Ion to ask if 7.1.5 will also include powers for the families now missing them. Please go post in support if you are able. Thanks :)

https://twitter.com/wowpetopia/status/7 ... 9799094272
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Wain wrote:Xota on another thread just reminded me... I just tweeted Ion to ask if 7.1.5 will also include powers for the families now missing them. Please go post in support if you are able. Thanks :)

https://twitter.com/wowpetopia/status/7 ... 9799094272
I'm so there to give support.

Can we also ask them why the heck "Hunting Companion" gives a boost to proc Mongoose Bite even when you're specced as BM or MM? Hunting Companion should change its buff based on your spec.

An exotic pet should never have that passive, considering you can't even use those pets as SV to take advantage of that Passive???

Maybe I'm whiny, but it annoys me seeing that Passive buff on my spirit beast when it could be doing else to actually benefit my spec.

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Rikaku wrote: Can we also ask them why the heck "Hunting Companion" gives a boost to proc Mongoose Bite even when you're specced as BM or MM? Hunting Companion should change its buff based on your spec.
I suspect what you're seeing is just tooltip or interface bug. I'm in BM, and my mastery reads correctly (Master of Beasts, not Hunting Companion).