Should I go for the 2 piece BM bonus?

Everything Hunter-related, except pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Should I go for the 2 piece BM bonus?

Unread post by Boven »

I've finally managed to get a few pieces of the Eagletalon set from normal Nighthold. None so far from heroic, but my raid's only gotten through the first three bosses so far. I'm wondering if the set bonus is still better than the stat loss that would occur if I swapped some pieces out.

I've had 3 i875 pieces drop: the chest, pants, and gloves. Currently, I have the legendary belt and pants, so I'd be going for the 2 piece bonus with the chest and gloves. My concern is that replacing those pieces would result in a good chunk of mastery, replacing it with crit and versatility. Right now, I have i870 Gauntlets of the Demented Mind ( www.wowhead.com/item=138214 ) and the i885 Arcanochitin Hauberk ( www.wowhead.com/item=140875 ) Would the increased haste and 8 second reduction on BW's cooldown make up for the loss of mastery?

Actually, while typing this out, I'm leaning toward thinking that the set bonus + haste will more than make up for the mastery loss. I'm just a bit uneasy about my mastery dropping even further as I get better gear.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Re: Should I go for the 2 piece BM bonus?

Unread post by Xella »

The 2pc BM bonus is that your dire beasts get the bonus from Bestial Wrath as well; it's the 4pc that gives you the additional reduction on BW's CD when you pop DB (side note: feels real weird sometimes to see THAT many orange-outlined pets in melee range, even if "THAT many" usually ends up being three instead of just two, lol)

That said, I've been leaning toward using 2pc/4pc over higher ilvl items in those slots, but I also don't have the pants so it's been less of an issue for me. I'm not sure if that works out in every case. AskMrRobot has a "Best in Bags" option that I've learned to mostly trust (once I get far enough away from the scaling HFC heirloom trinkets and the Perfect Dreamgrove Blossom, and they've had time to get stuff in their database), but it might be a premium-only feature; if you've used the free week trial they offer already, you could always do something weird like wearing one piece of tier and seeing how much "seemingly-arbitrary AMR points" putting on a second piece gives you and if it's a largeish number then that may be the way to go.

(Alternately, you could also just get someone who does have premium AMR to run your character through, lol :P)
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

I have to assume 2 piece outweighs the ilvl and stat difference of having non set pieces. And yes 2 pc is Dire Beast buff during BW. I'm dying to get mine but glove tokens just aren't dropping. :( If you had old BiS titan warforged or something that were a good 15 ilvls or so better that might be a different case.
Valka
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: WrA US

Unread post by Valka »

Beast Master hunter is currently very tier set dependent. On multiple websites and sources they suggest 2/4 sets > ilvl in nearly all cases. As an example I currently have a helm which is over 30 item levels higher than the tier helm I use, but if I was to swap it out I loose the 4 set and a lot of DPS. I hope this helps.

Image Valka - Nagrand (US)