WoW Petopia Community

A fun place to chat about hunter pets in the World of Warcraft.
Visit the Petopia homepage Petopia Homepage
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum Rules: Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete rules.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:25 pm 
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Realm: Wyrmrest Accord
Good gravy. Ordinarily, outleveling things makes things easier, right? Not always.

Saw Ban'thalos up awhile ago. Tried to tame him the 'usual' (i.e. old) way. One stray autoshot just picked him clean out of the sky, splat.

Saw Ban'thalos up again today. Determined not to let the previous incident happen again, tried... god, all kinds of stuff. Up to and including trying to hock a handful of obsidium bolts at him to get his attention. Deaths:1 Near deaths: don't talk to me about it

FINAL SUCCESS came from 'a) manage to get on that damn tree. Which btw is out of range of taming. b) get totally naked. c) use G51 Landshark d) profit'

Yep, that worked. Hey, guess there's a use for all those landsharks Blingtron's been giving me all these years. GEH. I also vaporized poor Karoma while trying to tame her, because my damnable trinket procced while I was in mid tame and just eradicated her. (I did get her a week or two later but man.)

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:10 am 
Illustrious Master Hunter

Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash
Sorry to hear. Supposedly another option is snowballs do like one damage? Just an idea for low tames

My FR Lair!

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:23 am 
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Realm: Wyrmrest Accord
Yeah. But like I mentioned before, if you have an on-proc trinket (and Legion seems full of them) BE SURE you take it off before engaging in any taming. Because it WILL proc and it WILL turn your would-be pet into a pile of ash. That 'Creeping Horror' trink (or whatever it's called) that shoots a laser at random was directly responsible for more than a couple charred tames.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:46 am 
The Insane
The Insane

Trying to get 10-person XT into heroic mode on my shammy. He dies in one shot :P

It's no biggie. I was just farming transmog gear and he drops more loot that way.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:30 am 

Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.
Accidentally one shotting the orange lava spider trying to get his health low enough to tame. :| At least now I know about the toy sword...

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:56 pm 

Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash
Nachtwulf wrote:
Yeah. But like I mentioned before, if you have an on-proc trinket (and Legion seems full of them) BE SURE you take it off before engaging in any taming. Because it WILL proc and it WILL turn your would-be pet into a pile of ash. That 'Creeping Horror' trink (or whatever it's called) that shoots a laser at random was directly responsible for more than a couple charred tames.

Sorry dear. I'm still recovering from surgery and my brain is more muddied than normal and you're correct in that all items should be removed if they have a a way to proc and ruin things. Then blast that pet with snowballs! :lol: What better way to create a new bond.

My FR Lair!

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:53 am 
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)
There was a thread on this a while back because the toy sword can't be used on some of the pets (I think Deth is one). There was a script... let me see if I can find it.

Edit: viewtopic.php?p=560882#p560882

Xota wrote:
You can't cast tame while moving. But you can cast Counter Shot. The following macro casts Counter Shot without starting autoattack. It would also work with Concussive Shot.

/focus target
/cleartarget
/cast [@focus] Counter Shot
/targetlasttarget

I remember this worked without damaging back then, but I haven't used it in forever. Its a great workaround, but it doesn't address the underlying problem.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:45 am 

Realm: US - Ysera
I was trying to get one of those green two-headed vultures in...Blasted Lands I believe? Not only was it dang near impossible to find a good point to reach one, but then I kept killing them. I think I finally tried just using Harpoon to aggro it then immediately cancelling auto-attack. It was super annoying, though. :lol: And yes, I learned about those on-proc trinkets the hard way. Couldn't figure out why Tame Beast was killing stuff, lol.

Signatures created by cowmuflage, Serenith, Vephriel, Bulletdance, pengupuff, TygerDarkstorm, Bhando and myself! (Floette avatar from Bulbapedia.)

Dragon Cave!

Slickrock wrote:
Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:16 pm 
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

I stripped all my gear off, used a low level grey gun and still nearly killed him at 110. On the fourth or fifth try. :oops: I ended up using a macro to make sure I only hit him once before I started the tame.