Old things that are now harder than they should be

Everything Hunter-related, except pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Old things that are now harder than they should be

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Good gravy. Ordinarily, outleveling things makes things easier, right? Not always.

Saw Ban'thalos up awhile ago. Tried to tame him the 'usual' (i.e. old) way. One stray autoshot just picked him clean out of the sky, splat.

Saw Ban'thalos up again today. Determined not to let the previous incident happen again, tried... god, all kinds of stuff. Up to and including trying to hock a handful of obsidium bolts at him to get his attention. Deaths:1 Near deaths: don't talk to me about it

FINAL SUCCESS came from 'a) manage to get on that damn tree. Which btw is out of range of taming. b) get totally naked. c) use G51 Landshark d) profit'

Yep, that worked. Hey, guess there's a use for all those landsharks Blingtron's been giving me all these years. GEH. I also vaporized poor Karoma while trying to tame her, because my damnable trinket procced while I was in mid tame and just eradicated her. (I did get her a week or two later but man.)

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Re: Old things that are now harder than they should be

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Sorry to hear. Supposedly another option is snowballs do like one damage? Just an idea for low tames

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Yeah. But like I mentioned before, if you have an on-proc trinket (and Legion seems full of them) BE SURE you take it off before engaging in any taming. Because it WILL proc and it WILL turn your would-be pet into a pile of ash. That 'Creeping Horror' trink (or whatever it's called) that shoots a laser at random was directly responsible for more than a couple charred tames.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Trying to get 10-person XT into heroic mode on my shammy. He dies in one shot :P

It's no biggie. I was just farming transmog gear and he drops more loot that way.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Accidentally one shotting the orange lava spider trying to get his health low enough to tame. :| At least now I know about the toy sword...
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Nachtwulf wrote:Yeah. But like I mentioned before, if you have an on-proc trinket (and Legion seems full of them) BE SURE you take it off before engaging in any taming. Because it WILL proc and it WILL turn your would-be pet into a pile of ash. That 'Creeping Horror' trink (or whatever it's called) that shoots a laser at random was directly responsible for more than a couple charred tames.
Sorry dear. I'm still recovering from surgery and my brain is more muddied than normal and you're correct in that all items should be removed if they have a a way to proc and ruin things. Then blast that pet with snowballs! :lol: What better way to create a new bond.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

There was a thread on this a while back because the toy sword can't be used on some of the pets (I think Deth is one). There was a script... let me see if I can find it.

Edit: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic ... 82#p560882
Xota wrote:You can't cast tame while moving. But you can cast Counter Shot. The following macro casts Counter Shot without starting autoattack. It would also work with Concussive Shot.

/focus target
/cleartarget
/cast [@focus] Counter Shot
/targetlasttarget
I remember this worked without damaging back then, but I haven't used it in forever. Its a great workaround, but it doesn't address the underlying problem.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I was trying to get one of those green two-headed vultures in...Blasted Lands I believe? Not only was it dang near impossible to find a good point to reach one, but then I kept killing them. I think I finally tried just using Harpoon to aggro it then immediately cancelling auto-attack. It was super annoying, though. :lol: And yes, I learned about those on-proc trinkets the hard way. Couldn't figure out why Tame Beast was killing stuff, lol.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Bristlenose
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Bristlenose »

I stripped all my gear off, used a low level grey gun and still nearly killed him at 110. On the fourth or fifth try. :oops: I ended up using a macro to make sure I only hit him once before I started the tame.