Hidden appearances for hunter artifact - abit dissapointed

Everything Hunter-related, except pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Hidden appearances for hunter artifact - abit dissapointed

Unread post by Castile »

This is probably old news to most but I finally lvled an alt to 110 (druid) and was researching the hidden appearances I could get. The feral owl cat skin quest is pretty cool so I looked up the BM hunter one (I already had the rep MM one) and I must say I'm pretty disappointed that all you do is buy it. I mean the look itself isn't to my tastes anyway so I was just getting it for the sake of "completing" my artefact but they could of atleast given a quest or rep gate maybe? I know the survival one is a drop atleast like the Guardian druid one but was anyone else disappointed by this?

Do you play other classes that had really interesting quests or puzzles to solve to get theirs or did you just buy them from some random dude in Dal like the BM one? I'm also left wondering what's the point of it being 'hidden' too...like hidden in plain sight? :? What did you all think?

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Hidden appearances for hunter artifact - abit dissapoint

Unread post by Wain »

Actually there was a good reason for this. :). The fact that our artifact was a gun was annoying to many BM who now felt forced to use a gun, especially if they’re from races that thematically use bows. To compensate they decided to make the hidden bow appearance really easy to get so a hunter could immediately switch back to bow without having to return to old transmog.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

Wain wrote:Actually there was a good reason for this. :). The fact that our artifact was a gun was annoying to many BM who now felt forced to use a gun, especially if they’re from races that thematically use bows. To compensate they decided to make the hidden bow appearance really easy to get so a hunter could immediately switch back to bow without having to return to old transmog.
That makes sense I guess though the design of it would have a lot of ppl moging theirs anyway as it seems a very niche design but that's just me. The MM one isn't terribly challenging/hidden though either as its just revered and you buy it...I dunno maybe because the druid one seemed fun and different I thought the others would be too.

Shadowlands

Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

I mogged mine anyway. The hidden appearance is not to my liking either. :)

Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

There's a LOT of disparity in the hidden appearances, for good and ill. The Retribution one is fantastic from a wow history nerd perspective, but AWFUL in practice, and it's the most convoluted of all of them by far. The BM one is the simplest, with no rep requirement on its purchase. Most fall somewhere between the two, though I think the feral HA is probably on the more complex side.

My least favourites are the ones that require RNG drops (resto shaman, all the underbelly ones, UNHOLY D:<), and ESPECIALLY the ones that require a high rep requirement (fury, holy, and outlaw are the ones that are stymying me atm) in addition to RNG. The rep is fine on a main, but on alt #12 it's a little much, lol :x

My favourites, now that the secrets behind them have been sussed out (and because they weren't my main at the start of the expansion, probably lol), are the disc and arcane questlines. A little bit of RNG on the arcane one, which makes it less good than disc, but I like that you can basically get the disc one asap but it's still a bit of an investment to do, y'know?
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Sawfty
Realm: Argent Dawn US

Unread post by Sawfty »

Castile wrote:This is probably old news to most but I finally lvled an alt to 110 (druid) and was researching the hidden appearances I could get. The feral owl cat skin quest is pretty cool so I looked up the BM hunter one (I already had the rep MM one) and I must say I'm pretty disappointed that all you do is buy it. I mean the look itself isn't to my tastes anyway so I was just getting it for the sake of "completing" my artefact but they could of atleast given a quest or rep gate maybe? I know the survival one is a drop atleast like the Guardian druid one but was anyone else disappointed by this?

Do you play other classes that had really interesting quests or puzzles to solve to get theirs or did you just buy them from some random dude in Dal like the BM one? I'm also left wondering what's the point of it being 'hidden' too...like hidden in plain sight? :? What did you all think?
Hidden in plain sight, that's exactly what our 'hidden' appearance is, haha.

I do agree that it would have been nice to have some actual story or challenge behind getting a hidden appearance, and I don't agree that the 'bow' (which is not at all like a bow) was made for classes that traditionally would wield a bow, I believe that it was implemented specifically for the new Gnome hunters. It fits them perfectly and that makes sense at least.

Unfortunately, for those of us who aren't Gnomes or just don't enjoy it generally, it was a bit of a let down.
Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

Sawfty wrote: Hidden in plain sight, that's exactly what our 'hidden' appearance is, haha.

I do agree that it would have been nice to have some actual story or challenge behind getting a hidden appearance, and I don't agree that the 'bow' (which is not at all like a bow) was made for classes that traditionally would wield a bow, I believe that it was implemented specifically for the new Gnome hunters. It fits them perfectly and that makes sense at least.

Unfortunately, for those of us who aren't Gnomes or just don't enjoy it generally, it was a bit of a let down.
Yes I thought that too! Unless you're a gnome or got some steam punk mog it really doesn't suit any other race tbh (and I'd never roll a gnome hunter anyway) so seemed very...niche. I would of preferred them do something more classic or iconic like a reskinned Rok'delar or similar to the legendary bow maybe (I mean pallies got Ashbringer and druids got the syth of elune)

Shadowlands

Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I keep my Titanstrike under a transmog at all times. While the basic one is ok looking, I strongly dislike the others. Well, I still haven't finished the Balance of Power one, and it's ok too, but I don't have it. But, I normally let Hati be Hati, so the fact that his color is determined by the skin is a huge factor. My favorite Hati colors are the ones for the hidden "bow" and the pvp one. Those are my least favorite weapon skins of a bad bunch. Thank god for transmogging! Honestly, I felt very let down by the appearance and acquisition of the BM hidden appearance. I apologize to those that like the "bow", but it is absolutely awful in my eyes. I don't see how Blizzard thought that would please people whose characters are more bow oriented. Their reasoning baffles me at times, and I honestly wondered if they had seen the item they claimed would please bow users. And getting it...wooo...go pay a guy a few thousand gold.... *sigh* While I wouldn't want one that requires high rep or good rng luck, some substance to it would have been nice.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Teigan wrote: I apologize to those that like the "bow", but it is absolutely awful in my eyes. I don't see how Blizzard thought that would please people whose characters are more bow oriented.
I agree. I expected something that looked like a compound bow with lightning wolf artwork. Not something that didn't make the cut at a Nerf dart gun brain storming session.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Personally I’ve ignored artifact appearances on pretty much all my characters and just transmogged to whatever matched my gear. I wasn’t sure how many do that. Probably quite a few because regardless of the weapon looks, it’s restrictive to be stuck to transmogs that match them.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Xota »

For xmogging over artifacts, what I really would like is if non-monk classes could xmog invisible fist weapons too. Because I want my shaman to look like a wizard, and I like the druid gloves this tier. Both are using brass knuckles, but empty handed would be better. I can't wait to use a staff again for my shaman.
Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

Wain wrote:Personally I’ve ignored artifact appearances on pretty much all my characters and just transmogged to whatever matched my gear. I wasn’t sure how many do that. Probably quite a few because regardless of the weapon looks, it’s restrictive to be stuck to transmogs that match them.
Think it rather depends on the artefact. Like I hardly see a titanstrike unmogged but see lots of Boomkin rock their Sythe as is and Ret pallies with the Ashbringer in it's many skins. I didn't mog my MM bow as its quite nice as is...but see those are iconic looking weapons. If the hidden appearance was more 'mainstream' I think people would use it more but that's just my musing on it.

Shadowlands

Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

Wain wrote:Personally I’ve ignored artifact appearances on pretty much all my characters and just transmogged to whatever matched my gear. I wasn’t sure how many do that. Probably quite a few because regardless of the weapon looks, it’s restrictive to be stuck to transmogs that match them.
Hmm, let me think about it actually, I'm curious. For ease I'm only gonna talk about my, er... primary alliance alts, because I'm character capped again and I can't deal with that much thinking, haha. Twelve classes at 110 means 36 specs (3 specs/class except for druids and demon hunters, which balance out the numbers).

Using an artifact appearance of some variety: MM, Balance, Feral, Resto (druid), Prot (pally), Ret, Outlaw, Subtlety (hardly counts since I don't play it), Elemental, Resto (shaman), Vengeance, Havoc, Holy (don't play it), Disc, Affliction, Arcane, Unholy (don't play it), MW (don't play it)

Transmogging over their artifact: BM, SV (don't play it), Guardian, Holy (pally, don't play it), Assassination, Enhancement, Shadow, Destruction, Demonology (don't play it), Fire, Frost (mage, and only within the past few days, to be fair), Blood, Frost (DK), BrM, WW, Arms (don't play it), Fury, Prot (warrior)

So for me, and only including my "primary alts" (because again, let's not go crazy here lol), I'm using 18/36, or exactly half of my artifacts As Is. Subtlety, Holy x2, Unholy, Arms, and Mistweaver are so infrequently played that spending the 200-500g to mog over a weapon felt kind of pointless (though apparently I did spend the money on my paladin, warrior and warlock at some point), so if you take those specs out of both sides of the equation I'm looking at 12/28, or 43%. Still pretty close to half, actually.

How many of the characters using an appearance are using a hidden artifact, though? Prot paladin, Outlaw, Subtlety, Holy, Unholy, Mistweaver. 6/18 (33%), but 2/12 (17%) if you ignore the specs that never get played (since the vast majority of them are using the HA skin due to pre-patch tint unlock behaviour). The vast majority of my alts using their artifacts are using either a Balance of Power skin or a variation on the base artifact skin (my druid is using the purple version of the base scythe to match t5, my lock's rocking her base scythe to match t4, I'm using the current PvP set on my ret paladin and one of the second tier Ashbringers matches it almost perfectly, etc). The one exception is my hunter as MM, because she unlocked the mage tower skin relatively recently, but she was using the purple version of the base bow (or maybe the t2 bow? it's been a while) that matches the mythic Nighthold set.
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Xota wrote:For xmogging over artifacts, what I really would like is if non-monk classes could xmog invisible fist weapons too.
That would be awesome! And very fitting :) Maybe even enchantment options that give your fists different glow effects.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Xota »

Wain wrote:
Xota wrote:For xmogging over artifacts, what I really would like is if non-monk classes could xmog invisible fist weapons too.
That would be awesome! And very fitting :) Maybe even enchantment options that give your fists different glow effects.
Yes! [Novice's Handwraps] don't take enchantments, but it shouldn't be too hard, there's already enchantment attach points for the brass knuckles.
Jasanni
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Jasanni »

I know I'm a bit late to the discussion, but chalk me up to another old BM hunter who HATES our hidden appearance. I echo the idea that the hidden bow appearance shouldn't have been so "coggy," despite the forger being Mekkatorque! XD The only reason I even bothered with it was to get Hati's darker coloration because it's GORGEOUS. I constantly hide my TS behind a transmog, usually Avalanche for Randy's Stormbringer mog or the Astral Light Bow for her current sneaky sniper Rangari mog.

I absolutely ADORE the MM artifact, and pretty much all associated appearances thereof. Thas'dorah is just a breathtakingly gorgeous weapon and always has been. I actually don't mind the SV spear either, as my only SV hunter alt is my Tauren anyway and it suits her just perfectly, especially since she may or may not be race-changed into a Highmountain once BfA drops. <.<

As far as achieving the different skins, I much prefer there to be at least a quest or a number of steps of some sort myself. I love the feeling of accomplishment it brings, and it gives me a deeper appreciation for whatever I've chosen to pursue. I understand the base concept for just buying the TS hidden appearance, I guess, but I was another who was a bit disappointed with it. On the one hand, I was glad I just had to pay some guy to get Hati's beautiful dark skin but on the other, it was hardly memorable lol.

~ Avatar by Blencem, Signature by Ashaine ~