Taming above your level

Everything Hunter-related, except pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Shadisar
Realm: Un'Goro

Taming above your level

Unread post by Shadisar »

I just tamed a silver mob, s shale spider called Glint in Arathi Highlands. it was lvl 41 while I was lvl 39!
Since when are we able to tame above our level? I only even tried after contacting support as I was frustrated that Glint kept always being above my lvl while I leveled there. GM replied that he had tamed a higher lvl Glint as a test and it worked. I was quite surprised because as long as I can remember, the maxime same lvl pet for tames has been valid.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Taming above your level

Unread post by Bowno »

This is brand new since level scaling was added.

Siggy under construction!

Shadisar
Realm: Un'Goro

Unread post by Shadisar »

Bowno wrote:This is brand new since level scaling was added.
I thought so too otherwise you would not be able to tame silver mobs maybe. Still, does anybody know what the max lvl+ is? How many lvls higher then oneself can a hunter tame now?
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Don't worry, it's brand new so you haven't missed anything for long! Since they introduced the old world level scaling in the latest patch, pets have a much more relaxed criteria when it comes to taming. As far as we can tell, as long as you're at the minimum level required for a zone you can tame something within it. Arathi Highlands, for example, is level 25-60 when you mouseover it on the map, so you can probably tame Glint anywhere from level 25+.
Jacobzuk
Realm: Dentarg

Unread post by Jacobzuk »

Does this work with max level too? Like able to tame a 112 mob?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Jacobzuk wrote:Does this work with max level too? Like able to tame a 112 mob?
As far as I can tell, it only works for mobs that have level-scaling enabled and the Hunter's level is as high as their minimum scaling level (no matter what level they appear to the Hunter). Since 112 mobs never scale down to 110 it wouldn't happen.

I may be wrong with this, but it's my best guess at the mechanics, from what I've seen.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.