WoW Petopia Community

A fun place to chat about hunter pets in the World of Warcraft.
Visit the Petopia homepage Petopia Homepage
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum Rules: Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete rules.

Post subject: Professions Question.
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:47 am 

Realm: Dath'Remar
Hello! very new to the hunter community but I have finally settled upon what character I wish to main for the future that being my hunter. Now my current professions as it stands are Leatherworking and Skinning. But I was wondering is there a better suited combo. I was thinking of dropping LW/Skinning and maybe taking up Mining/Engi or Mining/JC I was hoping to find out what some other fellow hunters think.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:05 pm 
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Realm: Dalaran
I use mining and skinning on my hunter, send the stuff to other alts, tho the only problem with that is it seems blizz is giving us so many soul bound crafting items now days, it means anything on my main (who is the hunter) gets stuck and is mostly useless.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:12 pm 
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Realm: Ner'zhul (US)
TL;DR:
mining and if you do xmog, engineering.
-----
I would suggest gathering professions. I don't know exactly how it will be in BfA, but there's typically a market for mats if there's a market for anything crafted. Depending on what you like to do, and how many alts you have, etc, there may be better choices.

Mining and herbing give xp, if that matters. Plus, if you're camping or doing a patrol looking for a rare spawn to tame, you can gather as you wait. I having herbalism on my hunter, and got several darkmoon decksworth of herbs patrolling for King Krush back in WotLK. Plus, with a pet, you don't have to worry about a node despawning because someone looted it but you can't because of mobs hitting you. Your pet can take the hits while you gather. Finally, with feign death (and camo, if you have it) you can avoid combat to get to nodes.

Skinning, with a pet you can aoe farm beasts and not have to worry as much as getting too many (as other classes). Plus if you take LW, you'll be gathering your own mats. If looting/skinning is done the same as in BfA, you have to worry about other players tagging and not looting, and also other players skinjaing your kills.

For those three professions, if your race gives you a gathering speed bonus, that's even better. If your pet doesn't have aggro on a mob, you might still be able to gather before you're interrupted, or in the case of skinning, you are less likely to be skinjaed. (mining:moose, herbalism: tauren, skinning: worgen)

If you have enchanting, you can DE your BoP items. So if your enchanter is a main (or often played alt) then you're less likely to ever run out of mats.

If you have LW, then any BoP patterns you'll be able to make for yourself. In Legion, its the mats that were typically BoP, not the crafted gear. I don't know how BfA will be. In Legion, I have made the most gold from selling things my LW made. That may change (I don't expect there to be crafted legendaries), but there are 6 classes that wear leather or mail, and only 3 each for plate and cloth.

If you have Engineering, then there may be weapons you'll be able to make for yourself. More importantly, you will be able to xmog goggles.

As far as crafting gear goes, I've found that my lesser played alts tend to wear crafted gear more than my main or highly played alts. So if all your 'bench' alts are cloth wearers, it might makes sense to have tailoring (you get more cloth to drop) and you can make stuff for them. If your bench alts mostly wear plate, then mining + blacksmithing could be the right choice.

In my experience, JC and Inscription are professions for alts. You might have to go farm a recipe, and maybe they'll have recipes that require BoP mats, but mostly I don't think I've lost out on anything by not spending much time playing them. (with the exception of the JC hats from Argus... I'm trying to get a specific random stats for an alt, so I need my JC to have the BoP mats).

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:47 pm 
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter

Realm: US - Ysera
That was a great rundown! :)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Dragon Cave!

Slickrock wrote:
Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.