My thoughts on BM remake

Everything Hunter-related, except pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Taintedwings
Realm: Sargeras

My thoughts on BM remake

Unread post by Taintedwings »

Hey guys, I'm new here and I found the site and forum to be very useful and I thought I might start contributing. I guess my first will be my thoughts on the BM remake.

Beastmasters will now be a two resource class: Focus and Trust (gain-and-spend) token. They will also need to visit their local stablemaster to select their designated pets for the 3 pet talents (Ferocity, Cunning and Tenacity) as it will affect the class’ playable abilities. All pets will have a permanent slot for a glyphable 3 major pet abilities such as Lust, Brez and something else I don’t quite remember...

Abilities that grants Trust tokens:

Cobra Shot (1 second cast time, usable while moving, grants X-focus, grants 1 Trust token)

Mend Pet (Instant cast, 3 second cool down, heals pet for X-amount of health)

Kill Command (Same cost and cool down as the current Kill Command, grants 1 Trust token)

All traps grant 1 Trust token.

Abilities that costs Trusts tokens:

Bestial Wrath (current cost and effect plus 5 Trusts, -25% of pet’s health and -15% of hunter’s health as ticking damage throughout the duration because rage and fury)

Aspect of The Hawk (PvP talent, same cool down plus 5 Trusts)
Summon a mighty hawk(other flying pets) to bombard a select area/main target’s area for damage.

Dire Beast (share cool down and costs as Aspect of The Hawk)
Summon a mighty beast to attack main target for mighty damage plus grants increased Focus regeneration.

Beast Mastery (X second cool down, costs 3 Trust tokens)
Command the current/main pet to use their secondary ability
Ferocity: Bleeds (ignore armour) the current target.
Cunning: Frees immobility and grants hunter X-spd for X seconds or Call of The Master).
Tenacity: Heals pet, hunter and one other nearby target for X-amount or reduce amount damage for the 3 mentioned targets.

Major Cool Downs:

Exhilaration (same as current)

Wild Guardian (5mins cool down)
Summon a legendary wild guardian to...
Ferocity: Summon and mount a legendary beast as a vehicle to attack target for damage with unique abilities.
Cunning: Summon a legendary song bird to grant the hunter and his/her party boosted battle capabilities. Think Bards and their songs.
Tenacity: Summon a legendary guardian beast to grant the hunter’s immediate X-area a barrier to negate %dmg and heals %health for all allies that stand within it.

Passive abilities:

Spirit Bond (grant hunter and pet %regeneration when pet is full health)

Death Of A Family Member (grants the hunter -%dmg when their pet dies for 10 second from death, when reach 100 deaths will strip them of their Huntmaster title).

Miscellaneous changes:

Call Pet will now have 3 buttons. One for each of the pet classes; Call Pet: Ferocity ... etc. The icon will change to the icon of Beast Mastery once the corresponding pet has been summoned.

Call Pet and Dismiss Pet will be instant cast with no cool downs.

Tame Beast will now collect the tamed beasts’ essence and be usable as a skin. Change via stablemasters.

When at stablemasters. Instead of our current stable tab, a new 3 pet class tab will take its place. Players will click a pet class and a separate screen will appear for the hunter to choose their collected pet essences as their chosen pet class representative. That as a replacement for stable slots and someone’s mentioning of pet skins. Maybe someone can help me with the naming part? I don’t want BM hunters to lose their love for a specific pet for user friendly interface.

Class Quests: I personally really like Class Quests/Challenged so maybe something on the line of giving BM hunters quests/challenges to tame a specific boss skin or something unique all together.

Feed Pet: Feed your current their favourite food and it will do a dance thanking you. Plus floating hearts for X-seconds after.

Hunters will now be able to summon raid party members via whistling.

Summary:

I hope you enjoyed reading my thoughts on what would do with the BM class. My main goal is to bring the fantasy of class into the spotlight because as of now, there aren’t many reasons to play BM hunters as SV can also have pets. My secondary goal is offering pet/class ability management as a possible tradeoff for having many instant casts spells instead of the usual minus dmg.

I love BM hunters since I started playing WoW many years ago and am very disappointed with the way BM hunters have gone and am continuing to go. It just seems there are no benefits for new players to start and no further incentive for players to continue. As a player I am more saddened by the lack of imagination Blizzard’s BM hunter design team as of late. So that’s why I thought up of this change.

I really hope you guys will like what I have come up with!

Feedbacks welcome!
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Re: My thoughts on BM remake

Unread post by Teigan »

Some interesting ideas there. I can't agree with the idea of removing someone's title because their pet dies though. Pets are gonna die, unfortunately. And I personally wouldn't like having two resources to juggle. Combo points aren't that much fun to me. I would have to give a hard and fast "absolutely not, ever" for the idea of "essence collecting". That sounds warlock-y and pets shouldn't be skins. I wouldn't be able to get behind the stable changes at all. Your ideas for call pet and having instant dismissal would be great though
Taintedwings
Realm: Sargeras

Unread post by Taintedwings »

That was supposed to be funny? The whole 'two resources' thing is just a way to sort of making 'management' a trade off for losing dps due to instant abilities. The BM game play is pretty dull to me right now and the fantasy level of the class is even worse. SV(alpha) is a better version of BM. The stable idea is iffy I agree but there has to be a better way of improving it other than hey engineers make a portable one. Pokemon PC?
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Since you asked for feedback, here it is. I'm not "trying to be funny." If you ask for feedback, be aware that includes critical and negative feedback.

I don't like being a zookeeper, I want to go back to just me and my pet. Not summoning burst pets. And I agree Teigan about the second resource. It's already on a lot of other classes/specs. I'm already managing lining up CDs and building up focus for Bestial wrath, I don't think having to line up chi/combo points/soulshards/holy power/runes for it would make it more interesting, especially with a lifetap built in. More interesting focus management, like when we had both arcane shot and cobra shot, would accomplish what you're trying to do without overcomplicating it.

And BM hunters already lose dps when their pet dies, from their pet not being alive. I don't want to be punished further because of some pet-killing boss mechanic, bad pathing, or pvp.
I'm not sure about your stablemaster idea. It sounds like mostly like you're keeping letting us respec our pets (which I like), but reducing call pet from having 5 down to 3, and we can only have 1 of each spec (which makes it not worth it). You don't have to change stablemasters. There used to be a "portable stablemaster" ability, back in cata IIRC. Engineers didn't make it, it was just a class ability.

For positives, I do like the idea of the major CD, except instead of summoning yet another pet, it could buff my real pet with those things (since bestial wrath is now a rotation type ability). Being able to jump on my pet (or eyes of the beast it for massive damage?) as a major CD would be pretty fun. And I do like having more interactions with the pets, the feed pet -> pet doing tricks thing would be pretty fun.
Last edited by Xota on Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

Taintedwings wrote:That was supposed to be funny? The whole 'two resources' thing is just a way to sort of making 'management' a trade off for losing dps due to instant abilities. The BM game play is pretty dull to me right now and the fantasy level of the class is even worse. SV(alpha) is a better version of BM. The stable idea is iffy I agree but there has to be a better way of improving it other than hey engineers make a portable one. Pokemon PC?
No....I wasn't "being funny" Um, I thought you wanted to have a discussion? Ok. Well. Whatever then.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Peace everyone. My reading of that was the "supposed to be funny" was referring to the original post, not commenters.

I do think the post could use a better title that makes it clear it's about the OP's ideas for the class, rather than commentary on Blizzard class design.

Welcome to the forums, Taintedwings.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Yeah, my heart skipped a beat when I saw the title and read the first sentence before I realized this was just a suggestion.
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

I may very well have misunderstood the tone of things, and if so I'm sorry. I'll try to be funnier next time? (haha, that's a joke, cause...trying to break tension that may or may not be there?)

*throws down pet treats and runs*