WoW Classic pets

For discussion while BlizzCon is running. Anything pertinent to WoW will be moved to the appropriate forums after BlizzCon is over.
evil950510
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Alleria

WoW Classic pets

Unread post by evil950510 »

Hunter pets back in vanilla were convoluted by today’s standards. You couldnt’ simply tame a pet and use it. You had to worry about several things:

Pets had to learn skills and hunters had to teach them to pets.
Some had one, or a few special abilities (dark resistance, faster attack speed), which caused some pets to be fought over.
Pets did not level up to your level. If you were level 60 and tamed a level 10 pet, you would have to manually level them up. Very slowly, since they weren’t able to do any tanking for you when they’d get killed in a few hits.
Pets had 6 loyalty levels, which also had to be leveled up. The more loyal they were, the easier it was to keep them happy.
Pet Happiness had to be kept up by feeding your pet regularly, if you didn’t keep your pet happy they would do less damage. If they stayed unhappy for too long, they would permanently abandon you.
Hunter will only be able to have five pets.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: WoW Classic pets

Unread post by Wain »

This is a really interesting topic to bring up! I shudder thinking about how we're going to maintain current and classic info on the site. I wonder how mega sites like Wowhead are going to handle two sets of data for everything.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
evil950510
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

evil950510
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

There was also the elite pets like

Snarler who originally had an incredibly high amount of base magic resistance.
Then there was Broken Tooth who was sought after for his 1.0 attack speed, which was the quickest in the game.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Thanks! It may still be a pain to maintain two different versions. I wonder if Mania has a really old version of the site archived :D
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Wain wrote:Thanks! It may still be a pain to maintain two different versions. I wonder if Mania has a really old version of the site archived :D
Oh gosh I hadn't thought about this. That would be a lot of work to re-research all those nuances again.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Oh my. I hadn't thought about this. It's good there are some veteran hunters around who remember things! I really hope there is an archive. But that aside, I look forward to experiencing the original hunter experience, since I started in WOTLK. Still had to feed pets and all, but it wasn't so intensive. I'm not worried about only having 5 pets. In a way, I don't like having so much stable space, since my bond with individual pets is much weaker and many of them are just decorative.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

There's this archived one, for a start!
http://web.archive.org/web/200704081612 ... ndex.shtml

And some old info on pet speeds:
http://web.archive.org/web/200611122305 ... speeds.php
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

We only had *three* pets through BC. I don't think we got 5 until the middle of wrath. Is classic wow going to be through the end of wrath?
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Yeah, it was just 3 pets in Vanilla. :lol: But really you only had 2 because you always needed to keep one slot open to tame various beasts so you could learn the skills from them.

(and no, I'm pretty sure Classic WoW is just going to be pure Vanilla content)
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Yeah, tank pet, dps pet, and slot for temp pets. Once I learned all the skills at 70, I celebrated by taming a sporebat :)
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I remember leveling in Barrens, as a dwarf, just so I could get a cheetah to name "Ocelotl". I knew exactly where to run to in Ratchet to have the guards rescue me from horde. Later I went back to get a red crab that triggered from a horde quest. I kept taming nearby animals and naming them things like "iwantcrab" and "letmetameplz" to the horde lowbies in the area. Then I had to level it all the way up. I do not miss having to level a pet 40 levels.
I've kept the crab (well, a crab named the same thing, since in LK the original pet stopped working). I do not miss only having only 3 stable slots.
I don't think I'd enjoy the graphics level and gameplay now. About the only thing that would get me to go back is if getting mounts there unlocked them for your account, but since mounts were items you carried in your bag, that's unlikely. I'd be in ZG as much as possible, it was my favorite raid, and I never got the mounts for myself.
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draenor

Unread post by Xylexia »

Don't forget the Frostwolves in Alteric Valley who were the fastest runners.

And that lovely epic hunter quest where you had to solo demons in the world. If a passerby touched them they'd despawn.

When I was a noob I helped a hunter with that,

I still feel so bad.
viaradda

Unread post by viaradda »

Teigan wrote:I look forward to experiencing the original hunter experience,
Not quite, since they will likely base this off of a patch near the end of Vanilla rather than the beginning.

For example, there is a rare wolf in Duskwood named Lupos. Originally, it did shadow damage with its melee attacks, even after being tamed. This made it quite desirable for obvious reasons. But this was nerfed in 1.9, and it was no longer special. It's unlikely that we'll be able to get pre-nerf Lupos in Classic, since it will likely be based off a patch after 1.9.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Xota wrote:I don't think I'd enjoy the graphics level and gameplay now. About the only thing that would get me to go back is if getting mounts there unlocked them for your account, but since mounts were items you carried in your bag, that's unlikely. I'd be in ZG as much as possible, it was my favorite raid, and I never got the mounts for myself.
It would be awesome if we could go to Classic to collect retired mounts that we could then use on our current accounts, even if that's highly unlikely. Mounts in your bags... geez, it's been so long I almost forgot about that. The loss of a lot of conveniences like mount and pet spell books would make Classic hard to return to for me. It's funny how quickly you get used to those things.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

No point blank, only 3 pets slots, mana, ammos, quivers, imbalanced pets, loyalty, pet training, spell ranks. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad people finally get what they want but Classic WOW is really not for me.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Same. There are a lot of things that I do not like about Classic (having played since launch). I feel that as Classic servers get closer to launching and people start playing them, the rose-tinted glasses will fade away and they'll begin to see just how bad it was in a lot of ways.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

I feel that classic WoW could provide a lot of fun for many different classes ... but hunter won't be one of them. The days of non-existent bag space due to carrying around a hearthstone, bandages, food, flasks/potions, mounts, pets, trinkets, quest items, vendor trash, loot drops, trade skill mats, and ammo are long gone and far behind me!

Having only two permanent pets per hunter sucked! I could never give up my precious devilsaurs, direhorns, feathermanes, hydras, core hounds, warpstalkers, dragonhawks, ravagers, foxes, cranes, and mecha-pets (among others). It's not that big of a deal to most players I guess, but I've grown way too attached to ever go back to the way that it used to be.

I am very happy that this feature will soon be available to those that want it. It'll be a great way to replay some of the other classes and relive the nostalgia that a percentage of the player populace was desperately seeking.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Rather than wanting a separate server with all the old gameplay, I just want a timey-wimey dragon that will let me visit all the zones as they were pre-cataclysm.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Valnaaros wrote:Same. There are a lot of things that I do not like about Classic (having played since launch). I feel that as Classic servers get closer to launching and people start playing them, the rose-tinted glasses will fade away and they'll begin to see just how bad it was in a lot of ways.
I am in 10,000% agreement with this. I know the private servers had their own following, so I don't deny there is some demand for this. However I want Classic to come back and preserve that experience exactly (minus stuff like lag etc). Bring back all the grinds and lose all the quality of life stuff we have come so accustomed to. I just don't think its going to be near as popular (long term) as its being made to be. I'll lose a lot of respect if they compromise and keep stuff like BOA or collections etc. Get those bandages ready boys, we gotta heal during Razorgore again!

What worries me is it is clearly a large endeavor, and I hope resources don't get taken from the main game in order to develop this.