A challenge for you

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

A challenge for you

Unread post by Sukurachi »

This morning, on my way to a rehearsal, I was walking downtown and saw two homeless men sleeping under the porch of a restaurant (closed because it was relatively early in the day). I doubled back some 30 feet, there was a McDonald's there (I know, not necessarily the most nutritious choice, but it was affordable and it's better than nothing), I bought two breakfast sandwich trios and brought them to the two homeless guys.

It was cheap, around $8 with tax.

So my challenge is: don't pour ice water over your head and film it (not that that isn't a good cause.. keep doing that one too!), but quietly, buy a sandwich, or a drink, something nutritious, for a homeless person. Bring a bit of light into the life of someone who is probably seeing far too much darkness.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: A challenge for you

So after 2 days, 40 people have viewed this thread.

Within 2 hours of a post about a manipulative story about a fictional cat, there is a response.

But 2 days after a post about REAL people, living REAL lives of desperation, and people that YOU could help, no one has been moved in the slightest to make even a small comment?

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Perhaps some people happen to live where there aren't homeless people? I do, but there's only one. Who actually gets very angry if you happen to give him anything. I'm sure some would accept the food, but some people just won't accept the help. Others don't live near people who are homeless, and so can't really do this.
Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: several

Unread post by Redith »

I do this sometimes..I just don't feel the need to post about it
Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Syleye »

I am a little confused what, cat? As for homeless we do things privately as a family. I don't do challenges of any sort the desire and action to help someone should be something that comes from inside forces not external pressure.

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Syleye wrote:I am a little confused what, cat? As for homeless we do things privately as a family. I don't do challenges of any sort the desire and action to help someone should be something that comes from inside forces not external pressure.
I'll add some stuff to this. I'm confused. At what point did random acts of kindness (something that should be second nature to us) become a challenge? A thing for others to clap their hands at and call that person a hero? You gave someone food. Yes. I don't see how that's a challenge. It's something that should be second nature to us.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

I've done this -once- before, and the reason it was only once, is because when I offered the food to a homeless guy he responded with a "Got any money instead?"
Now I let all the homeless shelters deal with them. They're trained for it and they have better food than any fast food I could provide them with. Plus, they can't pull the "Got money instead?" type of deal.
So I will pass on this challenge, but I'm glad you were able to make their day a little brighter with your giving.

Siggy under construction!

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Kayro wrote:I'll add some stuff to this. I'm confused. At what point did random acts of kindness (something that should be second nature to us) become a challenge? A thing for others to clap their hands at and call that person a hero? You gave someone food. Yes. I don't see how that's a challenge. It's something that should be second nature to us.
it's a "challenge" in the same way as the ALS "challenge" was a challenge.

it's a poke, a prod: "make a difference, even if it's a small gesture, in someone's life".

and despite you comment about it being second nature, I can assure you that it is not.
I watched dozens of people walk by and not lift a finger. not one made a single gesture of support.

despite your insinuation, I didn't do it to be seen. I didn't do it to be congratulated on it. and I most certainly didn't write about it here to prompt back-patting and messages of support for my action. I wrote about it to prompt other people to take action, to do something.

you don't know who I am. you know only a screen name. so what would I gain anyway from being congratulated by strangers, who have no idea who I am?

as for the cat thing, ask Wain. He deleted my comment in another thread.
someone posted about a fictitious cat story, a manipulative one meant to evoke teary-eyed responses.
and within 2 hours of it being posted there were already sympathetic responses to the completely fictional story.

And yet 2 days later, no one had made any comment at all in this thread, about real people. and look at the comments that did end up being posted here. you're all defending your indifference. some of you are even attacking my integrity.

I gave some food to two homeless people.
And I was moved and touched by their response. As a matter of fact, I felt guilty for feeling good about what I had done, because I felt it wasn't enough.

so some of you object to the term "challenge"? I'm sorry that I didn't use the word you wanted. For me, it WAS a challenge. Because I had never stopped to try and help a homeless person before.

Some of you say there are no homeless people where you live? well, then ignore the thread. There are no homeless people where I live either, I live in the middle of the forest, in farm country, hours away from the big city. but I had to go into the city the other day, and that was what happened. I felt something. I wanted to share it, and maybe make some people who might not otherwise have really thought about it consider taking action.

I'm sorry some of you feel so defensive and aggressive about this issue.

I won't post any more about it, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that hopefully someone in this group will feel moved to take an action, even a very small one, to make a difference in a homeless person's life.

"Step on no pets!"