What was the last movie you saw??

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Re: What was the last movie you saw??

Unread post by cowmuflage »

A couple of days ago on the Maori channel I watched a Japanese take on King lear called Ran. Man it was long but was good. I don't tend to watch that kind of stuff but it was good.
Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

I haven't seen it yet but just saw the preview for Paddington. I have to see that movie. Paddington Bear was my childhood and I had all his books, and I carried around my very own Paddington. I didn't cry seeing my favorite bear come to life, nope not at all. :_)

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

cowmuflage wrote:A couple of days ago on the Maori channel I watched a Japanese take on King lear called Ran. Man it was long but was good. I don't tend to watch that kind of stuff but it was good.
By Akira Kurazawa.. it's only considered one of the great masterpieces of cinema ;)

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Well I can understand why!

I watched a kids movie called Gansta Granny. Was good and now I'm watching Toys and I have no clue whats going on XD
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

We went to see Into the Woods tonight.
I went in with a certain trepidation. It's a play I know inside out and backwards, having conducted the orchestra for the Canadian premiere.

I can say that with a few VERY minor quibbles, it's a brilliant adaptation of the play. It works.
Minor quibbles? I'm never tired of hearing Sondheim, so... they COULD have added a song or two back into the 2nd act. I still think the film version works wonderfully. It was done with love and with great respect.

Surprises? Who knew that Captain Kirk could sing like that? WHOA! He belted out "Agony" like there's no tomorrow!

Oh, another minor quibble.. I don't care for the kid who sang Jack (of Beanstalk fame). he talks with a really heavy accent, and mumbles a bit. I disliked him in Les Mis, and he wasn't much different here. He has a great voice! and is a great young actor. My only minor quibble is the accent (he sounds like an extra from act 1 of My Fair Lady) and what almost sounds like a speech impediment.

Visually beautiful film.
And I was surprised to see almost everyone who worked on the stage musical was somehow involved in the film... like Sondheim's orchestrator (who did an amazing job adapting the music to a much larger orchestra), and the conductor who does almost all of Sondheim's shows, etc... In other words, the film was just positively drowning in people who knew the play and understood it to its core.

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Saw the last Hobbit. Loved it so much. I knew what was coming because I read the book but it didn't make it easier. ;_;

So many feelings in one movie.

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Thanks to Falconcrest getting me it for Christmas, I was able to go to my mum's and watch The Desolation of Smaug, the extended edition, in Blu-Ray 3D on her 3D TV. Oh it was epic! ♥

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Watched the last hobbit film on boxing day and i'm abit dissapointed. I haven't read the book but I left feeling rather depressed and apparently they changed alot anyway. I dunno after LOTR final i felt uplifted but after this one not so much. The battle scenes were great and all but yeah. Just felt very defeated after that film.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Castile wrote:Watched the last hobbit film on boxing day and i'm abit dissapointed. I haven't read the book but I left feeling rather depressed and apparently they changed alot anyway. I dunno after LOTR final i felt uplifted but after this one not so much. The battle scenes were great and all but yeah. Just felt very defeated after that film.
I haven't seen it yet, but I know the book, and I know the material they added to the film to create the link with LotR. I think that "defeated" feeling you had was because in a sense, you should watch The Hobbit first, then Lord of the Rings. The film makers went about it backwards, making the first chapters of the saga last. In essence, The Hobbit ends where Lord of the Ring should start, and the continuity means that the end of Hobbit can't really be "joyous" and "final". The story has barely begun at that point.

I can hardly wait to see it.
The first two Hobbit films were not my favourites of the entire series, but I still enjoyed them enough.

"Step on no pets!"

Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

Sukurachi wrote:
Castile wrote:Watched the last hobbit film on boxing day and i'm abit dissapointed. I haven't read the book but I left feeling rather depressed and apparently they changed alot anyway. I dunno after LOTR final i felt uplifted but after this one not so much. The battle scenes were great and all but yeah. Just felt very defeated after that film.
I haven't seen it yet, but I know the book, and I know the material they added to the film to create the link with LotR. I think that "defeated" feeling you had was because in a sense, you should watch The Hobbit first, then Lord of the Rings. The film makers went about it backwards, making the first chapters of the saga last. In essence, The Hobbit ends where Lord of the Ring should start, and the continuity means that the end of Hobbit can't really be "joyous" and "final". The story has barely begun at that point.

I can hardly wait to see it.
The first two Hobbit films were not my favourites of the entire series, but I still enjoyed them enough.
Yeah my husband has read the book and said they left one part out at the end and if it had been included it would of been more happy and satisfying ending? I still liked it as a film but much prefer LOTR trilogy to this one.

The next film i hope to see is the one about the Enigma (sp?) machine. The guy that invented it has a pretty sad story - he pretty much saved britian by inventing the first computer but they repaid him by accidently killing him! He was gay and apparently back then it was considered a crime and you had to chose between prison and chemical castration - he chose castration and it killed him :(

Shadowlands

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Oh, Castile, if you see The Imitation Game (the film about Turing - inventor of modern computing), know that there is a sub-plot about spying at some point which is absolute, total fabrication. Also, in the film, they make Turing out to be sexually inactive (ie: they never really indicate that he HAD any affairs). The truth is he was VERY open about his homosexuality (another thing the film gets wrong - he wasn't closeted at all).

The chemical castration isn't what killed him, however. It is an (depends on who you are talking to) "accidental" poisoning. Some, however, have indicated that there is evidence to show that the government may have had a role in his death.

"Step on no pets!"

Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

Saw a free preview screening of "Kingsman" last night and it was a pretty fun ride! I was expecting something abit "kiddy" cause I know its based on a series of young adult books but certain parts are defiantly not for kids! Samual L Jackson is a brilliant bad guy and its pretty funny in bits. Recommend if just after a fun action-ish film :)

Shadowlands

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Night at the museum 3 and another one I think called The long year? Had Jack Black as a birdwatcher. I enjoyed both.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

During my holiday I actually managed to see quite a few movies:
- I think The Grand Budapest Hotel may have been the most underrated movie of 2014. I absolutely loved it. Very charming and funny. It felt like an old-style comedy, but with some modern explicitness.
- What We Do in the Shadows - kiwi mockumentary about a group of vampires sharing a house in Auckland. Stars Jemaine Clement of Flight of the Conchords fame. I thought it was hilarious, but you really have to appreciate local humour.
- The Imitation Game - I thought was beautifully done. I know some of the plots were fabricated for the sake of drama, and I really have trouble believing certain events happened in the way they were depicted, but I still thought it was a great movie.
- Like everyone else here (apparently!) I also saw Into the Woods. I thought it was OK. Meryl Streep is brilliant, and I loved the girl who played Red Riding Hood. The princes were both quite talented singers, but I loved the guy who played the baker more.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

What We Do in the Shadows was awesome.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

cowmuflage wrote:What We Do in the Shadows was awesome.
Ahaha this movie was hilarious, just watched it tonight and loved it! :D
Jurz
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Scryers, Earthern Ring, Feathermoon

Unread post by Jurz »

Wain wrote:During my holiday I actually managed to see quite a few movies:
- I think The Grand Budapest Hotel may have been the most underrated movie of 2014. I absolutely loved it. Very charming and funny. It felt like an old-style comedy, but with some modern explicitness.
- What We Do in the Shadows - kiwi mockumentary about a group of vampires sharing a house in Auckland. Stars Jemaine Clement of Flight of the Conchords fame. I thought it was hilarious, but you really have to appreciate local humour.
- The Imitation Game - I thought was beautifully done. I know some of the plots were fabricated for the sake of drama, and I really have trouble believing certain events happened in the way they were depicted, but I still thought it was a great movie.
- Like everyone else here (apparently!) I also saw Into the Woods. I thought it was OK. Meryl Streep is brilliant, and I loved the girl who played Red Riding Hood. The princes were both quite talented singers, but I loved the guy who played the baker more.
I saw The Grand Budapest Hotel. I thought it was quite the charming movie as well :) I think it won some awards actually, which I didn't expect.

I've gotten so behind on my movies and I even missed some I wanted to see >< Now I gotta wait to watch them. I saw the third Hobbit movie. I liked the first two (SMAUG!!! <3) but there was a point in each of them where they couldn't keep my attention for a good 20mins or so. I have ADD so it happens sometimes when a movie is nearly 3hrs long. But, this one kept my attention the whole time so I give it extra props for that :)

I also saw Into the Woods cuz my bf loves musicals (I...don't) and man...that second part was f**ked up. Other than that, I have no opinion on the movie. Like I said, I don't like musicals.

Sig drawn by the amazing Lupis! and avatar drawn by the wonderful Senna!

Bangeall
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Doomhammer EU

Unread post by Bangeall »

Finally got to see The Battle of Five Armies. I didn't have high hopes for it, to be honest, but I found it to be really enjoyable. Even though this movie needed a good bit of padding (as did the others), the story was coherent, and unlike the first one, I didn't feel like it was really stretched out. There were some utterly cringe-worthy moments, and some parts were rather heavy-handed (ok, we get it, no need to spell it out so much!) but it was entertaining overall. I felt quite emotional when *that* scene happened.

One thing that really bothered me though, for a movie called "The Hobbit", is that I felt like we didn't see enough of poor Bilbo. While I love Tolkien's Elves, I found the amount of screen-time they got in this movie exasperating. I was half-expecting Legolas or Tauriel to be the one to get to kill Azog. Because hey, we haven't seen enough of them, right?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Bangeall wrote:One thing that really bothered me though, for a movie called "The Hobbit", is that I felt like we didn't see enough of poor Bilbo. While I love Tolkien's Elves, I found the amount of screen-time they got in this movie exasperating. I was half-expecting Legolas or Tauriel to be the one to get to kill Azog. Because hey, we haven't seen enough of them, right?
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

a million ways to die in the west... disappointed.. the language and the way to many references to sex/penises... it could have been a really funny movie and there WERE some funny moments but the language and the sex references ruined it for me

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig