OT Console question

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

OT Console question

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I'm curious, I haven't played on a console in nearly 10 years (well, since I started playing WoW).

My favourite games before that were FF:XI and FF:XII on my PS2.

But you could just play the games and not have to hook up the machine to the internet (well, except for FF:XI, obviously).

Now it seems to me that every new generation of console requires not only to be connected to the internet, but some seem to also have obligatory monthly fees just to connect to their networks? or am I misunderstanding some of the systems?

If I were to buy a new console, it would be to play RPG's, like Phantasy Star, or my old FF:XII (which remains my favourite off-line RPG).

If I bought a Playstation console, would it require a subscription or something?
How about the Microsoft machine?

I also read that, for example, the new PS consoles won't play PS2 games. So I'd have to DL the game from Sony despite already owning it?

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Re: OT Console question

Unread post by Rawr »

The PlayStation Network does not require you to be hooked up to the internet or sub. I love the PSN I buy movies and games from it, then take my PS3 anywhere and play them. XBox Im not sure on as I never use mine. :mrgreen:

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Considering my favourite game is FF:12, I might go with the Playstation just to be able to play that game. I mean, it would certainly be a strong selling-point for me. Unless I find out that FF:12 costs as much to DL this time around as it did when I bought the disks for it.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

The PS4 im not sure about but I have a PS3 and its not backwards compatable any more. When they first came out they could but the chip was too expensive and people weren't buying. If you scoured ebay or cashies you could maybe find a Gen1 PS3. I just held onto my old PS2 to play those games.

As Rawr said you can download them pretty cheaply sometimes (and often a nicer HD version of the same game) and I use it as the lounge Blu-Ray player. We have an xbox 360 too but I got that for my fiance just so he could play Halo and Fable.

we havent bothered to upgrade either yet as none of the "next gen" games really excite me enough.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~