Disney hates hunters lol

Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: several

Disney hates hunters lol

Unread post by Redith »

So kind of funny but I noticed In the course of trying to make my cosplay that Disney has had several villains that are hunters.
Percival McLeach from the rescuers down under, Amos Slade from the Fox and the hound, Gaston from Beauty and the Beast, Clayton from Tarzan, Man from Bambi
Nikrosnil
Haiku Master
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Re: Disney hates hunters lol

Unread post by Nikrosnil »

To be fair, although I like to play a hunter in WoW, I hate hunting in real life.

I think it has something to do with the fact that in WoW if you're a hunter, you fight alongside creatures as allies, whereas in real life the act of hunting ends only in the death of a creature.

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

I'm pro-hunting IRL .. And I'm a total animal lover, always have and always will be. The two don't have to be exclusive, after all.

I see why hunters can be seen as villains in children's tales but it really does skew the image of actual hunters. It's no real wonder many people are ill-informed after getting fed lies by groups like PETA and growing up with movies like Bambi (I was anti-hunting too because of this, but researched more and now I'm the polar opposite).

I don't hunt myself and I don't know if I could, but that doesn't mean I can't still support. Responsible hunting is actually highly beneficial. Plain and simple. Especially in the case of overpopulation. Overpopulation causes much more pain and suffering than hunting would ever cause. The whole food chain is thrown off, animals starve, animals roam into human settlements looking for food and get ran over or shot anyways. Disease can be spread more quickly, and attacks on humans and pets will be more common. A death from any of the above is much more painful than a quick shot to the head or other vital organ.

Even in cases where the animal isn't overpopulated though I don't see an issue, as long as the animal is used. Even if the hunter doesn't directly use the animal themselves, that money they get selling the animal goes to providing for their family.

Of course I don't support idiots who shoot animals because they enjoy causing pain, and who then just end up leaving the body to rot. But as far as I'm aware that's illegal anyways. There are so many regulations in place. Seasons when you can and can not hunt, tags telling you how many of said animal you can hunt, regulations on how the animal can be dispatched, and you can't leave the carcass lying in the middle of the woods, you have to take it with you and hopefully find a use for it.

Not even worth talking about poachers. Any person who hunts out of season, or break any other regulation, is no longer a hunter but a poacher and they're disgusting human beings. They're the ones who kill babies and mothers in the wrong season, the ones who cause extinction by hunting endangered animals, the ones who waste or cause unnecessary pain.

..that got a bit long didn't it.
Last edited by Lupen202 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Syleye »

I grew up on wild game. My parents hunted and fished. We didn't have a lot of money growing up and a deer or elk could see a family through the fall and winter. Plus the meat is so much better for you than hormone infested domestic stock.

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Yeah, Disney takes advantage of the idea that hunters are killing cute little animals and kids who aren't accustomed to hunting have a strong diversion to that, because cute little animals are always the heroes of children's shows. It's kind of a lazy way to make a villain, to be honest.

Plus it really bugs me when children don't get a realistic view of the natural world. Wolves, vultures, crows, etc are all shown to be villains because they eat the cute animals, and that's a pervasive thought that doesn't go away when people age. It's really not fun to see kids at a zoo asking their parents what the vulture is doing eating that rabbit, and having all the parents quickly usher their kids away like they're going to be scarred for life.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: several

Unread post by Redith »

LupisDarkmoon wrote:Wolves, vultures, crows, etc are all shown to be villains because they eat the cute animals, and that's a pervasive thought that doesn't go away when people age.
THIS! However one Disney story was AWESOME with the animals. Granted the story was the president, but The Jungle Book. Good guys Wolves (yay) Vultures (yay) Bear (yay) bad guy Snake (nice) Tiger (but I like tigers...Still an awesome villain)
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Exactly my thoughts Lupis. Disney isn't very inventive with its ways for making villains. Oh, that wolf eats rabbits! Villain! That hunter shoots deer! Villain! Wolves are lovely creatures really, and many hunters do it to cull herds to prevent them overpopulating and thus eating too much of a rare plant or whatever. You'll see people at the zoo quickly move on when it's time to feed the wolves, because it's raw meat and they don't want their kid to see that. Then there's me, waiting twenty minutes to see the wolves get fed. I never watched many Disney movies (they're all awful imo) but you see kids watch them religiously and then gaining the idea that all hunters are evil and all wolves are dangerous beasts that'll eat you alive. It's ridiculous :roll:

Syleye. I must say, the way you grew up sounds quite an adventurous way to grow up. I quite like the sound of it. Living on the wild side, seeing what those stuck in the big cities cannot see. Almost ideal :)
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

UGHHHH don't even get me STARTED on the use of snakes as villains! I get it they're biblical imagery but oh my gOD.

(That said the Jungle Book was a big improvement!)

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Hell nature is was worse then humans in a sence. The things animals do to others D: I mean they can't even show what happens half the time in nature shows because it's too gory for tv XD

I'm kinda sick of people the whole "hunting is wrong" thing in my country. There is ZERO animals that are hunted (fishing does not count as hunting it's fishing) in NZ that are native!

Why should we let things like deer,pigs,possums,rabbits,ferrets and countless other things roam free in our wild bush? They do nothing but kill native things that are nearly wiped out already!

Edit: All in all a lot of "animal lovers" in the end always anger me because they'd rather see an animal that is destroying nature live free then protect the ones that need protecting and that's the natives. Natives are always more important. Because in the end it's their home they have no where else to go. Pest animals are pests, they have their own place and it anit here.
HunterFTW
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: muridain

Unread post by HunterFTW »

basicly for me its more of the famos frase I have heard in a movie before.

"never kill an animal unless your gona eat it"

if its killed for a trophy or as fashion then that's wrong.but that's just me.
Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

Brief derailment: In the actual story, Kaa was neutral, and he helped Baloo and Baghera rescue Mowgli from the banderlog (King Louie and his underlings). I loved him in the book, and it will always bother me that the Disney movie made him into a villain. And in Bambi, man is portrayed more as a faceless force of nature than as an actual villain. /rerail

Just something I wanted to put out there. :)

I'm personally neutral towards hunting myself, even though I grew up in a small town where over half of the population hunted, including my adoptive father, who even raised a few different breeds of hunting dogs.
Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

Yeah...I would like to see a move of The Jungle Book made that actually follows the book faithfully. It's a far better story to me. Baloo is the old wise one, you find out Bagheera was once a captive of man before he escaped, and Mowgli? Well, that little fella turns out to be a certified badass in the end.

As to hunting - I am very much pro responsible hunting. In my metropolitan area here in Alabama, we've got a serious deer overpopulation problem in our local state park. So they've put special hunting rules and dates in place to help thin those white-tails out, before they all starve or a disease begins to spread in their weakened bodies, wrecking hunting and the deer population for everyone.

Mind, for me, responsible hunting means properly licensed, in season, and as much of the kill used as possible. I know not everyone can tan their own hides or anything like that - but if you get one and know someone that does tan hides, do ask them if they want that deerhide. Poachers and canned hunters are, for me, the absolute scum of the earth.

In some ways, Disney is kind of restricted to simple storytelling, given the relative age of their target audience - but I do agree that they could probably do better by not always making hunters the "bad guys."

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

There is a Jungle book movie coming out next year. I dunno how close that one will be. There are quite a few movies based on that book XD
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

There's an old jungle book cartoon, the version I grew up on, that follows the book very closely. As far as I remember it's fully available on youtube. Search for the "soviet" or "heroic" jungle book version.

Edit: here it is, episode one, with the rest following on a playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN2HOz2n ... RvqGiUJn-w
this channel has a lot more old soviet cartoons. Will shuffle through them tonight :) oh, nostalgia...
style

The first part of the series "Mowgli" came out the same year as the American adaptation of Rudyard Kipling - " The Jungle Book " (1967 ), the studio Disney. While this is nothing more than a coincidence , critics involuntarily compare these pictures.

Cartoon " Disney " is aimed at the youngest viewers , it conflict-free plot, characters sing and dance , there are no scenes of violence and blood screening . The Soviet cartoon came out more mature and closer in spirit to the book Kipling. It has scenes of mass battles and fights, showing blood and death , there is a tense atmosphere , suspense . Rising themes of life and death, and a sense of duty , heroism, warrior and humanity.

The two parts of the film are completed images of the death and the images of these - the dance and the song Akela Kaa . Kaa - the embodiment of absolute power , unhurried , yet inevitable . Dying in the final episode of the fourth Akela - the embodiment of the warrior archetype , adequately met death in battle and going to field a happy hunting ... In other words, the authors tell us that childhood ends when you find out that there is death , but the youth - when people close to you dies . If you want - when you realize that you yourself die.

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Doc Privas
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Doc Privas »

Nikrosnil wrote:To be fair, although I like to play a hunter in WoW, I hate hunting in real life.

I think it has something to do with the fact that in WoW if you're a hunter, you fight alongside creatures as allies, whereas in real life the act of hunting ends only in the death of a creature.
I feel exactly the same way.

Cloudstrider - Highmountain Tauren Hunter
Argent Dawn EU