Witcher love?

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Witcher love?

Unread post by Anyia »

Hey all,

While I spent some seven years immersed in the Warcraft world and lore (and the RTS games before then), I must confess my favourite game series of all time so far is the Witcher series. Initially I had overlooked it altogether, and it was only after a then-newfound friend of mine insisted I play what was to be the first game in the trilogy, that I was introduced to the world. And my, what a world it is! I loved The Witcher I, thoroughly enjoyed the story of The Witcher II (though not the controls), and was utterly blown away by The Witcher III, the likes of which I've never encountered before, and which I honestly believe I won't encounter again for some years. While I had my hopes up for Mass Effect: Andromeda, that fell flat in comparison in the end. So, I'm curious, amongst all the WoW people here, are there any ones with a love for the Witcher universe? And what is your favourite part of it if so?
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Re: Witcher love?

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I also love the Wicher though I've only played 3 and it's expansions it's one of the best games I've ever played. I love the character development and exploration best. Nothing beats finding a haunted village in he middle of nowhere by accident and and following little side stories. The whole world of that game felt alive in a way I haven't seen since. I'm even getting Soul Calibur next month because Geralt is in it. I'm looking forward to cyberpunk 2077 with high hopes though trying not to get them up too high because I also got hit hard with andomeda. It wasn't a bad game entirely, but it was no mass effect.
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Anyia »

Cyberpunk isn't a genre I'm particularly into, but I will definitely pick up a copy just because it's CD Project Red that's making it. With Witcher3 they were saying they were trying to keep the world size down to a manageable size, and look at what that gave us (including two expansions which were pretty much full games in their own right). And with Cyberpunk 2077 they're aiming for a big world (without loading screens, to boot). I can only imagine what that will mean in terms of available game play...

But yeah, the world building and depth of stories really made me fall in love with the Witcher universe. So many memorable moments, and seriously emotional ones. They way they got you to genuinely care about Ciri, and the pull-no-punches storylines about alcoholism and domestic abuse... it all came together to feel so, well, real.
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Anyia »

"When it's ready" is still the official date, I believe.
bauuubass

Unread post by bauuubass »

I wondered about playing the Witcher series for a while, what has kept me from playing it, is that you cannot create your own character, like in most of my favorite RPGs. Also, I do understand it's a story about Geralt and the game would not exist other wise, just wanted to share my views.
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Anyia »

I initially had that very same reservation about it, but a friend of mine insisted that I play it. And she was *so* right about it. In many ways you get more character development than if you had full flexibility. It really won me over, and I'd easily recommend it to anyone else who likes solid story telling!