Your favorite thing in the world outside of Azeroth?

Kalasha
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Karazhan, Terenas

Re: Your favorite thing in the world outside of Azeroth?

Unread post by Kalasha »

Reading books... no contest

Seriously I think I would choose reading over sex.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Kalasha: I often do, much to the dismay of my husband. Then again, he regularly chooses going out for dinner over sex. (We have a very odd but oddly satisfying marriage.)
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

Mania wrote:Kalasha: I often do, much to the dismay of my husband. Then again, he regularly chooses going out for dinner over sex. (We have a very odd but oddly satisfying marriage.)
That was an unexpected piece of information I'm not really sure I needed to know, Mania... :o :shock: :? :oops:

:lol:
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Unread post by Zangor »

yea i think im scarred for the rest of my life...im only 16!!!!
Nel
Realm: Detheroc

Unread post by Nel »

I love to read, write poems, and just think when I have free time.
Another thing I catch myself doing alot is going in the woods outside my house and just sitting in this one tree that's been there for along time. The cats climb the tree with me and we will sit there for hours at a time, just thinking and listening to all the wild animals.
I remember falling asleep one time while I was out there and when I woke up there was a small herd of deer eating not too far from the tree. I sat there for about four hours watching them and listening to the birds. :D

You may step in love many times.
Only do you fall in it once.

Http://Dragcave.net/user/Nelium
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Karathyriel & Zangor: Sorry -- next time I'll use a spoiler tag. :D

Nel: I envy you your woods.

As an aside, I find it fascinating that so many of us like not only to read, but also to write.
Sochi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Sochi »

Outside of Azeroth, my favorite thing to do when I get to do it, is archery. I am a toxophilite to the bone and a traditionalist at heart and in practice. Compound bows and all their bells and whistles fascinate me, but scare me a little too. Too much stuff! Give me a simple recurve bow and call me a very happy girl. I currently own several recurves and one longbow with pull weights ranging from 10 to 50 pounds-the ten pounder was a stand-in for the semi-custom longbow I bought my husband for Christmas two years back. My favorite bow is 35lbs. I'm saving for a horsebow at the moment as they are beautiful things to behold and I don't yet have one like it. www.eastern-archery.com is one of my favorite sites for this stuff, as is www.threeriversarchery.com. To go with my archery-zen, I have taken up leatherwork to make things like quivers and guards.

Beyond my love for archery, I enjoy reading (fantasy in the main, some Vampire stuff-Kim Harrison) and writing. I sketch and enjoy music, too. And of course, I love spending time with my husband, who shares my love for much of the above.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Wow Sochi, that's so interesting! :D Archery and leatherworking...you're like a real life hunter. x3

I used to work in a sporting/hunting store, and my friends ran the Archery department. On breaks I was able to go back to the shooting area and try out all the different bows and crossbows. I found out that I was rather fond of crossbows, and as much as I love the idea of bows and arrows, my body would just not cooperate in shooting one properly. It's as if my height and posture juts didn't match for any recurve bows, however I was pro with a crossbow. xD
Sochi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Sochi »

Veph, you had friend's working in a store's archery department and you got to try the equipment? I would sing "I'm a little Tea-pot" somewhere public, loudly and off key to be sure, to know people like that. Lucky! My husband lost me in a sporting goods store once. I was, apparently, in there for an hour and half. He had to retrieve me.

Anyhow, I think you could learn to use a recurve and get your body into the proper form with some good training. I was taught archery in college as a gym course, the prof knew her stuff. It stuck. I took a course and was certified to teach for a few years. My 6 foot 3 hubby knows his form, he no longer whacks his arm with the string. Our longbows are 72 inches unstrung, they are simple, really just big sticks with a string. No arrow shelf, you shoot off your bowhand (we wear gloves). I suggest one if you feel a recurve too small to feel comfy. But you and my hubby both find the crossbow preferrable and that's cool by me. Anything that shoots an arrow is cool by me. Hubby wants one of these someday, heck, I'd love one of these someday. http://www.freegatearmory.com/owlstrike.html I love this site, they scroll some funny sayings at the bottom of their pages. "The pen is mightier than the sword, but a crossbow can drive a ballpoint through oak."

Y'know, with the archery and the leatherworking, I almost am a real-life hunter. Now where's my pet....
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Hehe, yeah I'm 6' tall and we just could not get a bow to cooperate with me. xD

One of the crossbows we had was dubbed 'the elephant killer', because that's what it could do. Go straight through an elephant's skull. When I shot it the arrow actually smoked afterwards. xD
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

I tried what they called "historical archery" once. No fancy modern bows, really only "sticks with a string", as Sochi said.
It sure was fun but over here, everything is so expensive, so I didn't even think about joining in.

They had a path through a wood and, hidden in the bushes, were some styrofoam figures in the form of animals. You had to spot and shoot them. I did like to "no hurry, take a walk and shoot some arrows" attitude a lot.
Skyshot
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Fizzcrank US

Unread post by Skyshot »

Nothing like a cozy felt blanket, a good book (Or a good science fiction movie. xD), and a bar of chocolate.
Either that or I draw. :)

<My whelps - My Dragons>
"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept."
-Calvin and Hobbes