What are you reading right now?

Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread post by Silivren »

GormanGhaste wrote:Harry Potter was never my favorite character either. I much preferred Hermione, Neville, and Luna.

Hyperbole and a Half is on my wish list! Was actually hoping to get it for Christmas, so I'll probably buy it myself sometime soon.

Just finished reading Koyanagi's Ascension. Liked the book's themes, but feel they could have been executed much better.
Oh yes! Neville and Luna too. I'm still a bit bitter that Neville and Luna didn't end up together. They're so adorable <3

Jurz
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Scryers, Earthern Ring, Feathermoon

Unread post by Jurz »

I've had a sudden fascination with physiological thrillers and such x.x I was in Barnes and Noble for 30mins so I skimmed through a manga called Judge. Very interesting. I may end up reading all of it and all of his other series, Doubt.

Sig drawn by the amazing Lupis! and avatar drawn by the wonderful Senna!

Jurz
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Scryers, Earthern Ring, Feathermoon

Unread post by Jurz »

Sorry for the double post, but I read all of Doubt or Rabbit Doubt. If you can read manga, I highly recommend it. It's a very interesting psychological thriller/horror. I also read the first 4 novels of Judge (there's 6 but I could only find the English translation of the first 4) and that is also very interesting. The two series are very similar to each other in that the both revolve around demented "games." They're really creepy but I really liked them and I don't usually like horror.

I usually don't read manga online. I much prefer holding a book, but I couldn't help but to read Volumes 65-67 of Nauto x.x That story hits me in the feels.

Sig drawn by the amazing Lupis! and avatar drawn by the wonderful Senna!

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Sagara's Cast in Chaos, the 6th book in the series that starts with Cast in Shadow. I really enjoyed the first 4 books, but felt a bit indifferent to the 5th, so we'll see if this redeems the series for me :)

Thinking about reading the first of Novik's dragon books next, or maybe McGuire's Discount Armageddon.
Serendipity82
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Serendipity82 »

Hyperbole ans a Half by Allie Brosh. Every bit as hysterical as I thought it would be.
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik about Temeraire a dragon
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

just finished the last of the laura ingalls wilder books :D have read them all before but i like the serie and reads it all through atleast once a year

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

sorry for the late reply but thanks to everyone who threw in their view of Harry Potter for me. :)

Now I really should flee from this page before I break down and spend all my money on these books you have been reading.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I got a encyclopedia of swords and sabers today. Mainly for drawing reference but I started reading it and it's quite interesting!
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Paul Di Filippo wrote:"Clouds celebrated themselves overhead, fat flocculent whales swimming the cold upper air. The sun, an aureate brooch on the blue-white breast of the heavens, neared its noontime height. Zephyrs scented with vernal floral fragrances -- lily-of-the-valley, hyacinth, lilac -- teased the virginal leaves of the trees whose pleached limbs interlaced above the Great Road."
Time for an intervention. Hands up! Sir, step *away* from the thesaurus!

In other reading, just finished Vaughn's After the Golden Age, about a daughter of superheroes who doesn't have any powers of her own. Wanted to like this one, but most of the characters seemed to be plot devices, rather than seem realistic.

And downloaded a sample of Discount Armageddon, but as most of it was taken up with the author discussing what the characters were wearing, I was less than impressed...
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Aeladrine »

I've been rereading all of Tamora Pierce's Tortall books. What a lovely world. <3333
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

GTO: Great Teacther Onizuka. Holy crap it's a good comic.

The story telling is really good and it does talk about some serious issues with out being preachy. I've only just started reading it but man those girls who forced that kid to strip and took photos of him naked and bet him up to the point of making him try and kill himself really did get what they deserved they really could not handle their own medicine! I really do like it when you see those snobby "my parent is in a postion of power, I'll do what ever I want and you can't do jack!" get what is coming to them!
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Just downloaded "The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories", which has over a hundred stories including some novellas and a great foreword by Moorcock that mentions a lot of books and authors I'd like to read.

Also reading Le Guin's The Dispossessed. Enjoying it so far, and I liked reading her Left Hand of Darkness.
Serendipity82
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Serendipity82 »

Aeladrine wrote:I've been rereading all of Tamora Pierce's Tortall books. What a lovely world. <3333
Right there with you Aela. I will never ever not love these books. I need to dig them out again. <3

Patricia Brigg's new Mercy Thompson novel comes out tomorrow. I CAN'T WAIT.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

Currently reading Marie Lu's Legend and planning to continue on with the next two books in the series after that.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Couldn't resist buying a paper copy of Brennan's A Natural History of Dragons. Enjoying it so far, and I enjoyed her Doppelganger books as well.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I started reading the Attack on Titan manga. The story is good but that art man D: It's pretty not good.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Relieved I've finished Scalzi's Red Shirts (meh) that I borrowed, so I can get back to Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Just finished:
Had to show the cover, as it's what drew me in. Any Aspie can relate to that! Didn't realize until I brought it home from the library that it's by Augusten Burroughs' brother, so that made it more interesting, as I read his Running with Scissors memoir a while back. It's not my favorite Aspie/Autie memoir, though: I really enjoyed Prince-Hughes' Songs of the Gorilla Nation. And I *still* need to read some of Temple Grandin's books.

Just started Pratchett/Simpson's Folklore of Discworld, which goes into the real-life myths and legends that inspired parts of the Discworld books.

Also still reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (it's a long book!) and have borrowed the sequel to A Natural History of Dragons, so I need to finish up that one too :)
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

After years of reading and waiting with baited breath my journey through the Wheel of Time series has come to an end. My mom surprised me with the book when she stumbled across a paperback at walmart.
I gobbled that thing up so fast. So it makes it all the more disappointing when the ending can be summed up in one unenthusiastic "meh." :( It was in dire need of an epilogue. In a world filled with so many tiny details, side stories, massive arcs and important figurehead spearheading the conclusion, the ending was a very vague, unfinished thing with more questions thaen answers. Also a lot of characters stopped acting like themselves and became very illogical and a large part of the book was dedicated to a fight with a minor villan instead of the fight between Rand and the devil.
It was an ending though, and fans of the series will read it regardless just to know the ending. I think the replacement author just got burnt out and ran out of notes from the late author of the series so I can understand the troubles he must have had.

Anyways, I am in need of more books to read now. Anyone have some suggestions? big books or long series don't intimidate me and I love sci-fi and fantasy stories. (if its got aliens or dragons that's a bonus.)