8.0 New Expansion pet ideas/wishes

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

8.0 New Expansion pet ideas/wishes

Unread post by Qraljar »

So with Blizzcon 2017 fairly near, and with MMO-Champion being filled with lots of fake 'next expansion' leak threads, I figured it might be fun to give our idea of what new pets the next expansion might deliver, either based on desire, or based on what you think the next expansion is going to be like in all likelihood.

I will be going with the assumption that we're dealing with a South Seas expansion for 8.0. Kul Tiras, Tel'Abim, Zandalar and Nazjatar.

New looks for old families/new families out of old models

Pterrorwings
ImageImage
Location: Zandalar, Isle of Thunder, Isle of Giants, Un'goro Crater
With Zandalar as a zone, that brings trolls back into the picture. This would be the perfect opportunity to make Pterrorwings and Skyscreamers a new family out of an old mob, much like Stags in WoD with Talbuks relevant again.

Similarly, two model variations of two already tameable friends could be made available to players for the same reason:

ImageImage

Abyss Worms
Introduced in 7.2/7.2.5, Abyss Worms have an obvious Naga/Old God theme, being part of a Mistress Sazz'ine boss battle, as well as having a mount version dropped by her. This could be either part of a new family or the existing serpent family. Would be numerous in Nazjatar, of course.

Widows
Legion introduced two new spider mounts, neither of which are tameable. One because it's a demonic species, and the other - supposedly because it's a 2 million gold mount. Still I think this model would work well. Maybe in the Undermine? Lots of potential for different skins/colorations. The model is already there - would be a shame not to make use of it.

Tarantulas
ImageImageImage
Perfect for Tel'Abim. The Tarantula model is quite old (11+ years now?) and hasn't received an update since then. I'm gonna be honest and say I think it currently looks atrocious. I think the eyes on it are flat and painted on, to make matters worse. Yes, I do think there's a huge opportunity for improvement with a HD update of the tarantula model. Comparing old wolf models to new ones, Blizzard could make them look quite fluffy and cool. There's also lots of potential for vivid colors and patterns.

Crabs
ImageImageImage
Similar to Tarantulas, although I'd be willing to say they aged a little bit better. I'd also think these would fit in well around Kezan and Tel'Abim. If they're based on the classic models, there's also a lot of room for improvement that can make them look great. I want to like crabs, but I just don't like the Cataclysm ones, whereas I do like the classic ones, but they look too old for me to have running next to my WoD model character. As an aside, I bet coconut crabs would fit Tel'Abim really well, too.

Pythons
Long overdue, these models, introduced in Mists of Pandaria could fit almost anywhere. This model being untameable was always a bit of a headscratcher to me. The classic critter ones I could understand, not these ones. Maybe the animations?

New looks for old families/new families out of old models

Centipedes
Tel'Abim once more. WoD introduced concept art of centipedes, but they sadly never made it into the game proper. I thought Tanaan was a perfect location for them, but WoD had many other problems at the time than just a species of beast not being present. I think these could be cool in Tel'Abim all the same, would also make a great rare drop/faction mount. They would look great creeping through Tel'Abim's forests, hanging from caves, climbing through trees. Also could have various colors, from more earthy and dark to bright and patterned. Could have any ability, an incapacitating venom (stun),
a digging ability, constricting ability. (stun)

Squid/Octopi/Kraken
ImageImage
How can you go wrong with a tentacly pet like this in an Old God expansion? These lack walking/running animations right now, but they could be given. The Ozumat-type model could make for a great rare/challenge/tracking pet model deep in the sea. A constricting/silencing ability.

Jumping Spiders
ImageImage
I've been enamored with the concept of having a large jumping spider at your side as a pet. They would definitely look very cool in Tel'Abim, jumping from trees and leaping on prey. These surprisingly intelligent and cool looking arachnids could definitely be part of the regular spider family, but it would be really cool especially if they had an actual leaping ability, maybe a peacocking bonus/play ability. I especially enjoy how fun the idle animations could be, with how curiously jumping spiders move.

Spinosaurus
Another dino type for the trolls! These semi-aquatic theropods are definitely interesting to me, even more so since they underwent a redesign. I would definitely enjoy seeing WoW's interpretation of the new spinos as ingame pets. If they were to go with the older, more Jurassic Park-esque version, they would probably fit just fine in the Devilsaur family. If made their own family, their ability could be to give a swimming speed buff to the hunter.

Snap Dragons
These seem more like an inevitability than a possibility. These lizard-like creatures are trained by Naga and are effective both on land and in water. They are agile and able to spit acid. I'd like to see more slender lizards, more similar to Warp Stalkers, rather than the big, beefy ones like basilisk. Acid-spit ability, no doubt.
Last edited by Qraljar on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: 8.0 New Expansion pet ideas/wishes

Unread post by Vephriel »

I would be SO THRILLED for an updated tarantula model!!! D: Spiders get a lot of love, which I'm glad for, but they've been using the other skeleton for years. I'm dying for a new tarantula. T-T

Also I'd really love to see some hawks or falcons. Not just the eagle models, but a nice new bird of prey with actual striated feather patterns and everything. It's something we're sorely lacking. :(

Honestly I love all of your suggestions though Qraljar, I'll have to ponder some more and think about other ideas. :>
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draenor

Unread post by Xylexia »

I really really REALLY want a new spirit beast utilizing the Llothian fox model with ley feather hippogryph coloring!!!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I really hope they find a way to include pterodactyls and finally add them as a family. I probably won't tame one, but I know they're one of the most popular unavailable families. I think the "unicorn" / scythehorn family is the only other family for which I see as many requests.

That reminds me of another pet-related change I'd really like to see in 8.0, and that's for the model animators to get the animations of flying pets and other followers fixed and standardized - when they fly, when they stand, etc. Ideally I'd like to see them fly when the owner is running, walk (if it exists) when the owner is walking, and stand (if it exists) when idle. Attack would have to be on per-model basis, depending on whether fly attacks or stand attacks look best. This may be a bit of work to get right, but it could have a positive effect on pets of other classes, and perhaps companion pets as well.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

I'd love to see pterrowings and unicorns tameable. I'd also love if they updated the fox models, bc the old one looks like the back is breaking when it runs, and they've already got a gorgeous model. They just need to give it a working mouth.

Edit: I just remembered what other family I would like. Rocs. Beautiful, 10/10, they'd work for both carrion birds and birds of prey
Last edited by Krysteena on Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Don't have pictures for them all, so in no particular order:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Also unicorns, beavers, the other dinosaur like incendosaurs (can't think of proper spelling). I'd like to see some sort of undead family or at least add the existing undead models in. Inconsistency irritates me.

An octopus beast would be amazing. Since Azeroth doesn't follow Earth rules, it could be a more physically structured octopus so it could walk upright on land, but I would love to have an octopus fighting next to me. They could do some amazing things with the tentacle attack animation.

If I'm really dreaming, I would love to see some sort of challenge family. The way spirit beasts used to be the family of full of hard to get rares, I'd like to see a non-traditional family that are nothing but challenging tames. Something like elemental "beasts" or what not.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Qraljar wrote:Pythons
Long overdue, these models, introduced in Mists of Pandaria could fit almost anywhere. This model being untameable was always a bit of a headscratcher to me. The classic critter ones I could understand, not these ones. Maybe the animations?
Sadly these little beauties (like the new fox mount) were not made table for the simple reasons the animators did not give them a functioning mouth. Which I find a headscratcher like you. The pythons have a full biting animation but no working mouth. Shame though. Such a gorgeous model.

But I love everyone's ideas /wishes.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

zedxrgal wrote:
Qraljar wrote:Pythons
Sadly these little beauties (like the new fox mount) were not made table for the simple reasons the animators did not give them a functioning mouth. Which I find a headscratcher like you. The pythons have a full biting animation but no working mouth. Shame though. Such a gorgeous model.

But I love everyone's ideas /wishes.
Yeah, you're right.

I didn't consider that it would be such a big issue given that Blizzard still made them pretty big in-game mobs. But yeah, hopefully a more tameable version of it will be added someday. Long overdue, tbh.

Also guys, feel free to go wild. Doesn't need to be a currently ingame beast or anything. It also doesn't have to be based on the assumption that next expansion is South Seas. Go wild! :)
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
WingedCaduceus
Realm: Borean Tundra

Unread post by WingedCaduceus »

If it does end up being a South Seas xpac, one model that I hope would get some love would be gorillas. It'd be appropriate with Tel' Abim being there. That poor model is...so...outdated...

On the subject of apes/monkeys, I'd like some sort of lemur pet - I also wouldn't object to taming frogs.

Lastly, I want to see this guy in the game. It's such a cool model, It'd be a shame if it never got used.
Shelassa
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU Magtheridon

Unread post by Shelassa »

I love everyone's ideas :D

Personally I really wish Blizzard would add Grand Gryphons and Grand Wind Riders / Wyverns to the Feathermane family as well as the Spectral Wind Rider as a new Spirit Beast. Aditionally, I've always had it for armored pets - including Oondasta, Horridon, armored direhorns on Isle of Thunder and Kor'kron War Wolves. I doubt it ever is going to happen, since if Blizzard wanted to make them available, they probably would have already done it by now.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Something I really wanted for Legion is an optional quest to update Skoll's model to match that of Enh Shaman's electric Doom Wolf (same model as Gara, so as detailed as Hati, but still different enough from him). Since it didn't happen in an expac where Hati (and through him in a way Skoll) are the current pieces of lore for BM Hunters, I doubt it will happen altogether. But one can hope, right? :D

What I really want to see Blizzard doing, though, is fixing pet families and updating some of the oldest models out there: hyenas, lynxes, monkeys, gorillas, tallstriders, warp stalkers and so forth. Saying that some of those old guys clash with the current surroundings is saying nothing.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I want Kul Tiras to be the equivalent of Azeroth's Australia, so Roo pets, mounts and shits. And also drop bears
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

Still need the Unicorn/Horse2/Scythhorns ! :)

Chya
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Chya »

Talihawk wrote:Still need the Unicorn/Horse2/Scythhorns ! :)
Definitely, hoping one day they will finally be
Tomb
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Tomb »

Aquatic pets. Like a flying shark or frogs.

And a landshark walking on all four.

But before all of those I just want more stable master slots. :(
Dewclaw
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

I want a slightly bigger stable belt. I have such a hard time picking active pets.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Tomb wrote:Aquatic pets. Like a flying shark or frogs.

If they have aquatic areas in the next xpac these would be brilliant. There are so, SO many cool models for aquatic pets that Petopia could potentially increase by half or more (maybe not double). But unless there's loads of new aquatic contrent I fear they'd decide it wasn't worth the work :( Unless we can earn bubbles for them to fly around in ;)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Wain wrote:

If they have aquatic areas in the next xpac these would be brilliant. There are so, SO many cool models for aquatic pets that Petopia could potentially increase by half or more (maybe not double). But unless there's loads of new aquatic contrent I fear they'd decide it wasn't worth the work :( Unless we can earn bubbles for them to fly around in ;)
Mechs and Spirit Beasts are great candidates for tamable aquatic models.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I would love aquatic animals, I just don't think I could personally enjoy a giant bubble floating next to me. You know there would be clipping.

But a shark floating to me randomly, even with no bubble, probably wouldn't work for me either. I love the idea, I just can't think of a way to implement it that wouldn't turn me off to it. I hope they are more creative than I am.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Wain wrote:

I imagine we'd get water bubbles.

Naga hunters have aquatic pets in bubbles, like the jellyfish in Tomb of Sargeras.

Just have a Naga hunter show up in Trueshot Lodge (even if it won't be relevant content anymore), saying how she/he taught the Unseen Path how to harness water for their pets.
Galahandra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Mazrigos

Unread post by Galahandra »

The Armadillos! I'd love one of them running round with me, that's not a mini pet!