Battle for Azeroth creatures

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Battle for Azeroth creatures

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I doubt that they'll add Silithids to Kul Tiras or Zandalar. As Qraljar said, they really aren't relevant to those areas.

I think they are just trying to get as many old models updated as possible. The art team for BfA is double that of Legion's, so they are getting a ton of stuff done. So, there will probably be models that have been datamined that have nothing to do with BfA and are just being updated.

I think the last two options are the most likely. The ptr Silithus was/is in a state of being after the final quests, and they weren't tamable then. I wouldn't mind there being a new AQ raid or dungeon, especially if we see old AQ weapons and armor given a new coat of paint.
Rozzana
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Shattered Hand, Elune

Unread post by Rozzana »

I'm still in shock practically. So many beautiful creatures. AND BEEES. BEEEEES.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I hadn't seen all of the hyena colours in one place yet so I made a compilation. They are...quite vibrant! I'm glad to see the purple still exists.

My one critique is that the brown nose colour clashes a bit on some of them, a black nose would have been less jarring I think.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I agree, Veph. There are a couple that would better with a black nose.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

I'm taking some time to archive all the new updated looks for old world mobs in an Imgur post. Starting with the Mine Spiders:

https://imgur.com/a/7ANzW
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Vephriel

Valnaaros wrote:I agree, Veph. There are a couple that would better with a black nose.
I think it's especially due to the blue-toned nails, it puts too many colours in one place when you've got those, the brown noses, and the grey-black manes alongside the bright fur. They need to pick one shade and stick with it. :lol:

And wonderful Qraljar! I was thinking of doing that myself since there aren't a lot of images yet that show all of them. Thanks! :)

I do appreciate that the new spider models finally get rid of that awkward small head, spiders have 2 segments, not 3 like an ant. :lol:
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I go to work, have a shite day, and come home to an absolute avalanche of new stuff! I am supes giddy for real.

I love these new models and skins, but goodness me oh goodness my I do hope they remember the bears, and the lesson I hope that was learned from it! Folks can get reallllly attached to older models......

#RemembertheBears
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Vephriel wrote:
Valnaaros wrote:I agree, Veph. There are a couple that would better with a black nose.
I think it's especially due to the blue-toned nails, it puts too many colours in one place when you've got those, the brown noses, and the grey-black manes alongside the bright fur. They need to pick one shade and stick with it. :lol:

And wonderful Qraljar! I was thinking of doing that myself since there aren't a lot of images yet that show all of them. Thanks! :)
Not a problem. A bit of clarity is always nice. I'm doing Tarantulas now, then will be doing Maexxna spiders, then Bone Spiders, followed by Crabs, Hyenas, Vultures, Thunder Lizards, Gorillas, Wind Serpents, Diematradons (Not tameable but we can hope, they look great.) in that order. I'd do Silithid Beetles as well, but it looks like the old world models aren't updated to the BfA ones. At least, not yet.

Feel free to do whichever you wish! :) I definitely won't complain.
Last edited by Qraljar on Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

@Veph. You're right! I didn't notice that till you pointed that out. Thankfully, it is very early in the Alpha/Beta, and once the servers open up we can start pushing for changes, much like we have in the past :)

@Qraljar Great idea! Currently, the models are all over the place, so it'll be nice to have someplace where we can easily see them together. :)
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Quiv wrote:I go to work, have a shite day, and come home to an absolute avalanche of new stuff! I am supes giddy for real.

I love these new models and skins, but goodness me oh goodness my I do hope they remember the bears, and the lesson I hope that was learned from it! Folks can get reallllly attached to older models......

#RemembertheBears
We can hope for them to grandfather them, but there are so many this time around that I'm just not sure they'll go out of their way to add rares with every old skin. We can hope, and it would be nice if they do, but I won't be surprised if some will just be entirely converted over.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Oh, I was the first post of this thread. I forgot. Updated the OP post with all the relevant links I could think of. If anyone has more, or Wain wants to edit it for me at any time, feel free to point them out. I tried to keep it simple.

Qraljar: Can't wait to see it finished, so I can go tame those new skins before they even come out. Hopefully they'll all be replacements with exceptions like the old bear models.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Valnaaros wrote:@Veph. You're right! I didn't notice that till you pointed that out. Thankfully, it is very early in the Alpha/Beta, and once the servers open up we can start pushing for changes, much like we have in the past :)

@Qraljar Great idea! Currently, the models are all over the place, so it'll be nice to have someplace where we can easily see them together. :)
Thanks! Probably ought to have a separate thread or at least a better spot to easily reach and look at them all once I'm done.

For now, here are tarantulas:
https://imgur.com/a/qDPWT

It reminds me that they definitely could use a few new skins. Tarantulas in real life come in such a wide range of amazing colors and patterns. I hope Blizzard actually makes use of that. But for now, they're a great upgrade, in my opinion.
Last edited by Qraljar on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vephriel

Valnaaros wrote:
Quiv wrote:I go to work, have a shite day, and come home to an absolute avalanche of new stuff! I am supes giddy for real.

#RemembertheBears
We can hope for them to grandfather them, but there are so many this time around that I'm just not sure they'll go out of their way to add rares with every old skin. We can hope, and it would be nice if they do, but I won't be surprised if some will just be entirely converted over.
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about too. As much as I'd like the choice to remain, especially because I know the unhappiness of being attached to a special pet for years and having them suddenly change appearance completely, I'm just not sure if it's feasible to do anymore. The bears were a bit of a special case and the community really spoke up about them, but this is like....half of the classic beasts. That's a lot of low-res polygonal models to keep the world populated with, and it feels like Blizzard is trying to move away from their old models rather than preserve them. Which is completely understandable, but again, I would hope for some more discretion and attention to the small details when the artists went about these revamps. Some are perfect, others feel like they didn't look at the originals at all. Maybe it seems silly because to a lot of people it wouldn't matter, but to us hunters we know every last scale and feather and tuft of fur on our beloved pets. A single thing changed can be very jarring to the overall look and feel of a model. :(
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Fairly quick one since it has only 3 colorations,

Barbed Spiders:
https://imgur.com/a/UaxMA

Also great models. Hope they make some larger versions now, as the currently tameable ones are all fairly tiny once tamed, from my recollection.

Vephriel

Qraljar wrote:
Valnaaros wrote:@Veph. You're right! I didn't notice that till you pointed that out. Thankfully, it is very early in the Alpha/Beta, and once the servers open up we can start pushing for changes, much like we have in the past :)

Thanks! Probably ought to have a separate thread or at least a better spot to easily reach and look at them all once I'm done.

It reminds me that they definitely could use a few new skins. Tarantulas in real life come in such a wide range of amazing colors and patterns. I hope Blizzard actually makes use of that. But for now, they're a great upgrade, in my opinion.
My favourites! ;u; I'm absolutely 100% pleased with this update, it really makes me happy. Now that they have a good model for it I'm positive tarantulas will be used more in the future. <3 Hopefully with an array of bright colours and patterns. :D

I think it's a great idea to make a separate thread actually. One where we can look at the revamps in particular and discuss things we like and dislike about the changes, and compare and contrast them to the originals.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I think my favourite updated model so far is the parrot. It's really beautifully done, as are the spider updates - whoever did those is really skilled at updating while keeping the model true to the original.

I'm so far not very impressed with the hyaena textures. I like the model but the skins, to me, look plastic and wet - like they were made of clay or plasticine. A few of the lizard skins look a bit like their colours were spray-painted on, too, though the original green we saw in the intro video looked pretty stunning.

So far I don't think the hyaenas or diemetradons are suitable replacements for older models, sadly. The colours don't match at all, so maybe they're not intended for that purpose.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Vephriel wrote:
Qraljar wrote:

My favourites! ;u; I'm absolutely 100% pleased with this update, it really makes me happy. Now that they have a good model for it I'm positive tarantulas will be used more in the future. <3 Hopefully with an array of bright colours and patterns. :D

I think it's a great idea to make a separate thread actually. One where we can look at the revamps in particular and discuss things we like and dislike about the changes, and compare and contrast them to the originals.
I'll do that instead, then, if Wain's okay with that.

Vephriel

Wain wrote: So far I don't think the hyaenas or diemetradons are suitable replacements for older models, sadly. The colours don't match at all, so maybe they're not intended for that purpose.
Unfortunately I grabbed all of the hyena shots by looking up the original mob names in the database on MMO-C, and the old models have all been replaced by these it seems.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Vephriel wrote:
Wain wrote: So far I don't think the hyaenas or diemetradons are suitable replacements for older models, sadly. The colours don't match at all, so maybe they're not intended for that purpose.
Unfortunately I grabbed all of the hyena shots by looking up the original mob names in the database on MMO-C, and the old models have all been replaced by these it seems.
Yeah, I saw this, too. All the hyenas I did look up were replaced. Personally, I like the new model far more than the old, but I can definitely see where people would be irked, as they're definitely not 1:1.

That makes me wonder why the Silithid Scarab/Beetle didn't get the same treatment. That one definitely looks like an 1:1 upgrade.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

In terms of quality, the new Hyena model is better, imo. The old one has not aged well. All of the models are worked on by different artists, which is why some look very 1:1 and others don't.

On the bright side, I think there'll be more people taming Hyenas due to the new models. The old ones were just so dated.