Battle for Azeroth creatures

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Re: Battle for Azeroth creatures

Unread post by Qraljar »

Whoa, if WoWhead's model viewer is any indicator, the new Raptor animations/skeleton are ported to every raptor, Classic, TBC, WoD, and even the Falcosaur. Try it out for yourself.
Valnaaros wrote:That's not a bad idea. Though, depending on how long or how hard it takes to complete the challenge, I can see people complaining about it just like they do with flying pathfinding.
Yeah, probably not several months and several reps having to be farmed to exalted. :P
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Aye, I doubt they would go as far as Pathfinder. :) I'm just saying that there are those that will complain if something requires any sort of effort to get. Such is how it is, though.

Quite happy about the new animations. Hopefully they'll get around to implementing the new basilisks models from 7.1 into Dimetrodons and crocolisks :)
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Valnaaros wrote:Aye, I doubt they would go as far as Pathfinder. :) I'm just saying that there are those that will complain if something requires any sort of effort to get. Such is how it is, though.

Quite happy about the new animations. Hopefully they'll get around to implementing the new basilisks models from 7.1 into Dimetrodons and crocolisks :)
The new Diemetradons use the new Basilisk animations, actually! Not the old ones, or either the Classic or Cataclysm Crocolisks.

I kind of do hope BfA adds some new crocolisks. With the environments they are adding, it'd be a perfect fit. Not that the Cataclysm one is bad, but it just.. something never quite clicked with it. Too much like stone? I don't know.

But looking at all the cool dino models they added, I do know that they could create a kickass croc nowadays.

Also, am I going crazy?

It really looks like even animations that were otherwise probably not even touched look better on the new rig, or whatever they've got going on for raptors. That, or it's WoWhead's modelviewer vs WMV, but I doubt that. Note the stretching on the WMV animation near the head. Could it be they skinned the models over again to make the animation more fluid?

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Oh wow, I hadn't even noticed the new raptor animations! They're subtle but add so much fluidity to the model, I'm really pleased with them. :)

Yeah I'd love to see the new basilisk animations added to crocolisks, and guh, I would love to get some new croc models. While I do like the Cata croc models well enough, that xpac had an odd art style where a lot of the creatures looked inorganic and a bit washed out.

I actually would have loved to see a new devilsaur model this xpac, besides the undead ones. :( It feels like the perfect time for some, especially seeing that new zandalari raptor model. With their blocky head shape and eye crests I can easily imagine their features translated into a new high-res devilsaur. They're doing so great with the dinos already. I was not a fan of the MoP devilsaurs at all, to me they actually had the same problems as the Cata crocs. They just have this weird lumpy oatmeal look to them, their snouts look squashed, and even the texture resolution seems low and grainy. Very muted colours too. :/
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Vephriel wrote:Oh wow, I hadn't even noticed the new raptor animations! They're subtle but add so much fluidity to the model, I'm really pleased with them. :)

Yeah I'd love to see the new basilisk animations added to crocolisks, and guh, I would love to get some new croc models. While I do like the Cata croc models well enough, that xpac had an odd art style where a lot of the creatures looked inorganic and a bit washed out.

I actually would have loved to see a new devilsaur model this xpac, besides the undead ones. :( It feels like the perfect time for some, especially seeing that new zandalari raptor model. With their blocky head shape and eye crests I can easily imagine their features translated into a new high-res devilsaur. They're doing so great with the dinos already. I was not a fan of the MoP devilsaurs at all, to me they actually had the same problems as the Cata crocs. They just have this weird lumpy oatmeal look to them, their snouts look squashed, and even the texture resolution seems low and grainy. Very muted colours too. :/
You are 100% on the nose.. in my opinion!

While I think they did a great job on the Cataclysm crocs, they looked like stone constructs to me. I would love to see them tackle crocs now, looking wet, and reptilian, and all that. The original model is still far superior in that aspect.

And I hope, and I am very - very convinced, that we'll get a new Devilsaur model. For one, there ought to be Devilsaur all over Zandalar. Secondly, they have a Loa model, which is practically a living new Devilsaur, but it's armored. They can't tell me they didn't at least make an unarmored version for wild Devilsaur beasts, though. Blizzard is smarter than that.

For that matter, I also believe there'll be new cats based on the Cat Loa. Maybe not with the scars, but using the same base model.

Here's the Devilsaur loa:

They have like 4 varieties of skeletal devilsaur, including an unarmored one. If they didn't have a living wild beast devilsaur, I would be very, very -- very puzzled and surprised.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

The new raptor animations are amazing! Aye, it isn't an obvious change, but you can see a change if you compare the two :)

I would also love to see some new Crocs. I liked the Cata ones, but not enough to ever tame one.

Hopefully we'll see some new unarmored Devilsaur models within the next few builds, if that is what Blizz has planned. Maybe even a Devilsaur mount :)
Vephriel

That's a good point Qraljar, it is still early and we might not have seen everything yet. I'm crossing my fingers! It's an ideal environment for them, and the art team hasn't been shy with using vivid colours when it comes to the Zandalari things so hopefully we'll get some good skins. :D

(also completely agree with you on the Vanilla crocolisks - they're dated now, sure, but they have fantastic detail in their scaling and overall appearances. I still really love them and a revamped version would be heaven for me, as they're my favourite real life animals)
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Vephriel wrote:That's a good point Qraljar, it is still early and we might not have seen everything yet. I'm crossing my fingers! It's an ideal environment for them, and the art team hasn't been shy with using vivid colours when it comes to the Zandalari things so hopefully we'll get some good skins. :D

(also completely agree with you on the Vanilla crocolisks - they're dated now, sure, but they have fantastic detail in their scaling and overall appearances. I still really love them and a revamped version would be heaven for me, as they're my favourite real life animals)
Yeah. Updated crocs would be really great. They have a good basis, conceptually, to work with, and the environment is basically begging for it.

I hope they don't squander the opportunity and just plop some Cataclysm crocs in there.

We'll see in a few builds, I guess! I really wonder how much more the coming builds will be bringing in terms of models. It was a pretty big batch already, but I know for sure that there's more armor models inbound. There ought to be a few more creature ones.

I'm also seriously still hoping that with all of these awesome dinos, we also eventually get spinos, either at release or in a content patch later on.

With the newer look, they'd also be more than basically remodeled Devilsaur. Blizzard could even, lore-wise, treat it as some kind of evolutionary ancestor of the Zandalari crocs!

Boy, having a huge spino at your side would be great..

They'd also make great mounts!

Vephriel

My concern is that they might follow the MoP devilsaur more than the Vanilla. My main gripe with the MoP versions were how squashed and stubby their noses looked in comparison.

Vanilla devilsaurs still hold up well to this day, and I think it's because they were such large creatures they had to have much higher textures to be seen that big. I think they have a much sleeker appearance. Their nose looks longer, and I think that's mostly thanks to the fact that it stretches out in a relatively straight line with small nostrils. The MoP version has this weird upturn at the end, and very large nostrils. Plus the eye is bigger, so the area of the face is reduced and makes them look, well, stunted. I also miss how big the lower jaw was on the originals, that pronounced rounded shape that almost came up to the eye.

From what I can see beneath the armor, the new devilsaur there seems to resemble the MoP more than Vanilla, but maybe once we can see it naked it'll be a bit better. Its nose definitely seems to have a noticeable upturn at the end though. (and I still miss the smaller, keener eyes of the originals)

Attachments
Image4.png
Image4.png (456.42 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Valnaaros wrote:Maybe even a Devilsaur mount :)
I have wanted this ever since I first stumbled into UnGoro crater. And this would be such a perfect expansion to do so.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

That it would be! Maybe a drop from a World or Raid boss.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

I really want some dang dungeon mounts dropping again. A skeletal devilsaur would be perfect from the zandalari dungeon.

Vephriel wrote:Oh wow, I hadn't even noticed the new raptor animations! They're subtle but add so much fluidity to the model, I'm really pleased with them. :)

Did you see the travel form raptor's cute little digging loot animation? T_T

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

The bright eyes on the new devilsaur are appealing, more like the old devilsaur's than the MoP ones. Overall the MoP ones were ok, but I agree that they are a bit dull. I also hadn't noticed the raptor animations. Quite nice

Also, so those new birds that are sort of a revised vulture? Like, vulture with a different beak and no rat tails? I'm really liking those. I'm not sure what they are supposed to be or what environment they're for. They don't strike me as vultures, even if they're called that. They have feathered heads which actual and WoW vultures don't normally. They put me in mind of skuas, which are predatory seabirds. Anyone know where they fit in the new zones?
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Teigan wrote:The bright eyes on the new devilsaur are appealing, more like the old devilsaur's than the MoP ones. Overall the MoP ones were ok, but I agree that they are a bit dull. I also hadn't noticed the raptor animations. Quite nice

Also, so those new birds that are sort of a revised vulture? Like, vulture with a different beak and no rat tails? I'm really liking those. I'm not sure what they are supposed to be or what environment they're for. They don't strike me as vultures, even if they're called that. They have feathered heads which actual and WoW vultures don't normally. They put me in mind of skuas, which are predatory seabirds. Anyone know where they fit in the new zones?
These?

Yeah, those really don't strike me as vultures at all. More like really cranky seagulls on roids. They share the same basic body, though, so maybe that's why they have the same name.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

They look like the same bird that is seen in the BfA Features trailer in the Kul Tiras harbor, so they are probably a new seagull model, yeah.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Oh yeah, BfA adds at least one new tarantula coloration that isn't used on a currently available tarantula.

It's a bit more on the red side, rather than the orange or dark brown of the two existing ones.

I hope they make many more patterns and colorations, though.

Just look at what nature has to offer:

They could certainly go all-out, in fact, they could go just as crazy as they did with the komodo model, if they want!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Qraljar wrote:
Teigan wrote:The bright eyes on the new devilsaur are appealing, more like the old devilsaur's than the MoP ones. Overall the MoP ones were ok, but I agree that they are a bit dull. I also hadn't noticed the raptor animations. Quite nice

These?

Yeah, those really don't strike me as vultures at all. More like really cranky seagulls on roids. They share the same basic body, though, so maybe that's why they have the same name.
I still haven't worked out what the skins for those are named. I can see them in the database but not their intended file paths or names. I guess they use the vulture model but if so they must turn off the geo sets for the drooping tail feathers. The art seems different for them too.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Inay
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Inay »

Albatros?
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Seconding what Inay suggested - they look like Albatross to me, which are essentially hench seagulls

I'd wager that it's a bad idea to shoot one of those with a crossbow
Tomb
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Tomb »

Is it just me that kinda want a hat on the albatross?