Battle for Azeroth creatures

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
chrth

Re: Battle for Azeroth creatures

Unread post by chrth »

Myzou wrote:You know, with the 2 new komodo dragon models:

I think the Baby is just a companion.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Wow, it seems like they're really intent on updating a lot of the older models! There's so many new things, I'm still trying to process it all. :lol: I'm really pleased by all the bugs and reptiles though. :D

Qraljar, how do you find the models that aren't on the MMO post? I'd love to take a closer look at the tarantulas.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Wowhead has a bigger list of models.
Tomb
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Tomb »

I hope I can tame this one and give it a knife.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I could see us taming giant hermit crabs. Would certainly be a welcome addition to the Crab family :)
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Vephriel wrote:Wow, it seems like they're really intent on updating a lot of the older models! There's so many new things, I'm still trying to process it all. :lol: I'm really pleased by all the bugs and reptiles though. :D

Qraljar, how do you find the models that aren't on the MMO post? I'd love to take a closer look at the tarantulas.
Well, MMO-Champion updated its database for the most part with the new models, because these tarantulas, the Maexxna spiders, the gorillas, the hyenas, the minespiders and the bonespiders are almost all applied to old world models.

Not all, some still use the old models, but Chitter, for example, uses this model now:
http://beta.wowdb.com/npcs/52146-chitter

And Maexxna uses this model now:
http://beta.wowdb.com/npcs/15952-maexxna

Just cross-reference with the WoW-Petopia list of mobs to find particular colorations or skins.

Last I checked, the Teldrassil Green Tarantulas still used the old model, but
http://beta.wowdb.com/npcs/769-deathstrike-tarantula

These use the new one.

Mind you, one of the minespider model's legs is currently glitched. It isn't skinned properly, so it has a similar effect to the lava scorpion. Let's hope that gets fixed. :P
Valnaaros wrote:I could see us taming giant hermit crabs. Would certainly be a welcome addition to the Crab family :)
I honestly don't see why not. They could just easily be new Crabs.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Vephriel

Ah thank you! I usually just rely on whatever's posted on the front page. :lol:

As someone who keeps tarantulas in real life, I'd like to hug whoever gave such lovely attention to detail on the bottom of them. :') They look great!

Attachments
Image1.png
Image1.png (376.75 KiB) Viewed 2849 times
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Vephriel wrote:Ah thank you! I usually just rely on whatever's posted on the front page. :lol:

As someone who keeps tarantulas in real life, I'd like to hug whoever gave such lovely attention to detail on the bottom of them. :') They look great!

Haha, I agree. When I looked at it, I thought that little extra detail was really cool.

Also, I am sure a lot of people are not gonna like the new models replacing the old ones for the hyena, but I really think this guy in particular is stunning.
http://beta.wowdb.com/npcs/14228-giggler

This common Westfall crab, too.
http://beta.wowdb.com/npcs/831-sea-crawler

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I don't mind the new Hyena model replacing the old one. If enough people dislike it, Blizz could always do the same thing to them as they did with the bears and add rares that use the old skins.
Vephriel

Yeah, while I absolutely love a lot of these revamps, they are....very different from some of the originals. I'm a little concerned for nostalgia's sake;;

The blue wind serpent, for example. I am head over heels over these new models, they look so much better, but the new 'blue' one (as much as I love it, as its own skin) really doesn't have anywhere near the vibrancy or saturation of the original, which has an almost iridescent look to it.

Image Image

It's such a difficult place to be in. The classic models are old, and they show it. I know the only reason I'm attached to them is because they've looked a certain way since the very beginning, and there's a lot of memories/nostalgia tied up in that.

I can completely understand the want and the need to update the game as a whole and I'm really glad they're doing it. I do wish that in some cases though that the revamps would remain a little more faithful in terms of colour and design.

I think overall I'm happy though! I realize we can't keep these clunky N64 looking things around forever (honestly that's what a lot of the classic models look like these days) and it might just be time to bite the bullet and say farewell to some of them and welcome in the new versions. :)
Attachments
ws.png
ws.png (307 KiB) Viewed 2849 times
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Valnaaros wrote:I don't mind the new Hyena model replacing the old one. If enough people dislike it, Blizz could always do the same thing to them as they did with the bears and add rares that use the old skins.
That's true. I personally think it's a good change.

The only one I'm actually not sure about is the Gorilla, which also replaces the common Gorilla mobs found all around the old world. That brow ridge is still a bit heavy to me.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It is very early in the Alpha/Beta cycle, so I'm sure if enough of us push for a change, it will happen. Did the same with Quilens and Bears.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Vephriel wrote:Yeah, while I absolutely love a lot of these revamps, they are....very different from some of the originals. I'm a little concerned for nostalgia's sake;;

The blue wind serpent, for example. I am head over heels over these new models, they look so much better, but the new 'blue' one (as much as I love it, as its own skin) really doesn't have anywhere near the vibrancy or saturation of the original, which has an almost iridescent look to it.

[img]windserpent%20comparison[/img]

It's such a difficult place to be in. The classic models are old, and they show it. I know the only reason I'm attached to them is because they've looked a certain way since the very beginning, and there's a lot of memories/nostalgia tied up in that.

I can completely understand the want and the need to update the game as a whole and I'm really glad they're doing it. I do wish that in some cases though that the revamps would remain a little more faithful in terms of colour and design.

I think overall I'm happy though! I realize we can't keep these clunky N64 looking things around forever (honestly that's what a lot of the classic models look like these days) and it might just be time to bite the bullet and say farewell to some of them and welcome in the new versions. :)
Oh yeah, I hadn't even checked out the new wind serpents. I wasn't as concerned because most of them had retained their original color schemes. I mean, the mine spiders had every color the old model had last I checked, if a little more muted (which I didn't mind), but the color scheme on this wind serpent, while undoubtedly beautiful, is quite different indeed.

Vephriel

I find that there's a tendency for newer models to look more washed out and desaturated, unfortunately. Which I suppose is a result of newer environments and wanting the creatures to look realistic within them. I'm sure in the game they're going to look fine, but it's hard not to notice the difference in vibrancy when comparing old to new.

A lot of people were upset by the forced update of the bears but I'm not sure if we're going to be lucky enough to get 'grandfathered' models for all of the revamps this time. I almost feel like it would be too much to try to do that for every single one of these creatures this time, and I'm not sure how much they want to keep those old models in the game at that point.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Vephriel wrote:I find that there's a tendency for newer models to look more washed out and desaturated, unfortunately. Which I suppose is a result of newer environments and wanting the creatures to look realistic within them. I'm sure in the game they're going to look fine, but it's hard not to notice the difference in vibrancy when comparing old to new.

A lot of people were upset by the forced update of the bears but I'm not sure if we're going to be lucky enough to get 'grandfathered' models for all of the revamps this time. I almost feel like it would be too much to try to do that for every single one of these creatures this time, and I'm not sure how much they want to keep those old models in the game at that point.
Yeah, that is more akin to the old black one, I think.

I still like it a lot, but it's very different. Hmh, I do also agree with Blizzard, though, that the more muted colors allow it to fit into its environment more. Difficult, difficult.

Also,

I didn't see this model before. It's similar in design to the Loa frog mount, but it's definitely not that, haha.
http://beta.wowdb.com/npcs/125418-frogmarsh-leaper

Vephriel

Oh my god that toad is adorable! ;u;

Another concerning discrepency I just found. The white wind serpents.

This is the model that's replacing them. It is...not white at all, and it doesn't have those lovely purple details. :( It's frustrating that some are really, really faithful remakes (the green one looks fantastic to me), but others are just completely different from the source material.

ImageImage
Attachments
www.png
www.png (229.95 KiB) Viewed 2849 times
Tomb
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Tomb »

Maybe it is time for them to add Aquatic into the hunter pet family!

Hovering sharks and frogs!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I can see a frog or amphibian family being made, but not sharks.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Vephriel wrote:Oh my god that toad is adorable! ;u;

Another concerning discrepency I just found. The white wind serpents.

This is the model that's replacing them. It is...not white at all, and it doesn't have those lovely purple details. :( It's frustrating that some are really, really faithful remakes (the green one looks fantastic to me), but others are just completely different from the source material.

ImageImage
Yeah, that isn't even near the same coloration. I think that's just a bug. Either they didn't create the new texture map for that color yet, or it wasn't properly applied yet.

Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

http://beta.wowdb.com/npcs/124640-kragwa-the-huge

LOL, this needs to be a new hunter pet, along with the new small frog models. The mountspecial is great.