Battle for Azeroth creatures

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Re: Battle for Azeroth creatures

Unread post by Qraljar »

Wain wrote:I don't mind that one too much. It's much more 'realistic' than the original, and not as shiny, but I kinda like it. They probably could have turned up the contrast a bit and make it shinier, though.

The "truesilver" one has me more worried. The lack of any contrast makes it look matte blue and not even the least bit metallic.

Image Image

Hopefully we can provide some feedback on these, and lobby to get the least-appropriate ones tweaked. I want to make up a side-by-side table to help us facilitate this but it'll have to wait until I'm done with new mount images (which are slow and painful... to give you an example I just produced 224 images for pterrodax mounts alone, because of all the colours, multiplied by the number of combos of configurable saddle/mask options :cry: ).
Now this is the weird part.

Currently, loading Karkin up in the WoWhead model viewer gives you this:

Which is not a proper truesilver update, but at least it has the appropriate eyecolor, whereas the model updates in the model viewer for the mobs with the old truesilver skin don't have that eyecolor, as in your picture.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Qraljar wrote:
Wain wrote:I don't mind that one too much. It's much more 'realistic' than the original, and not as shiny, but I kinda like it. They probably could have turned up the contrast a bit and make it shinier, though.

The "truesilver" one has me more worried. The lack of any contrast makes it look matte blue and not even the least bit metallic.

Image Image

Hopefully we can provide some feedback on these, and lobby to get the least-appropriate ones tweaked. I want to make up a side-by-side table to help us facilitate this but it'll have to wait until I'm done with new mount images (which are slow and painful... to give you an example I just produced 224 images for pterrodax mounts alone, because of all the colours, multiplied by the number of combos of configurable saddle/mask options :cry: ).

Which is not a proper truesilver update, but at least it has the appropriate eyecolor, whereas the model updates in the model viewer for the mobs with the old truesilver skin don't have that eyecolor, as in your picture.

Yeah, that is what Quiv pointed out. Probably just an error on Wowhead's part or possibly an indication that the model changes haven't been completed yet on Blizz's end.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Valnaaros wrote:
Qraljar wrote:

Image Image

Yeah, that is what Quiv pointed out. Probably just an error on Wowhead's part or possibly an indication that the model changes haven't been completed yet on Blizz's end.
Yeah, the point of my post was that the skin that Karkin uses currently on the new model fits the Truesilver model far better than the current updated skins the truesilvers have been given.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

That's true, it does. Hopefully they'll use that one instead.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Oh cool that it has the right eye colour, at least. It's possible that Wowhead is seeing a slightly more updated database than I am, as I think they can merge stuff that comes down in the cache and not in the main database. I can't seem to do that with CascView.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Slapperfish

(deleted)

Unread post by Slapperfish »

(deleted)
Last edited by Slapperfish on Sun May 09, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I don't even use ol Karky but I'm just a big proponent of being faithful to the original. The new one is great and I like it, but I do hope they give it that "gem" like appearance (or whatever you would call Karkin's condition :lol:)

I really wish there was some way we could help you with all this back-end minutia you have to slog through. I know its a labor of love but still! Would it help if I started a list for the side by side comparisons, basically a list of images of the updated models verses original? Might help some of the busy work involved. Let me know!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Quiv wrote: Would it help if I started a list for the side by side comparisons, basically a list of images of the updated models verses original? Might help some of the busy work involved. Let me know!
That would be brilliant, thank you!

If you can compile a list of all the ones that you can confirm have changed (via Wowhead or whatever), that would be a huge amount of help :) If we hope to get any appearances tweaked, it's better we ask sooner rather than later.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Can do. It sounds like you need confirmation on each individual beast NPC, is that correct?

I'll probably make an Excel spreadsheet with old appearance (petopia image), assumed new appearance (petopia image), NPC name/ID, and wowhead/wowdb 3d model used. Will that work or is there something else you need?

I attached a crude example.
Attachments
Example.PNG
Example.PNG (62.29 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Quiv wrote:Can do. It sounds like you need confirmation on each individual beast NPC, is that correct?

I'll probably make an Excel spreadsheet with old appearance (petopia image), assumed new appearance (petopia image), NPC name/ID, and wowhead/wowdb 3d model used. Will that work or is there something else you need?

I attached a crude example.
No need to confirm every beast right now. Just a couple of checks on Wowhead, maybe, to confirm that the model has been updated for the old NPC. Thank you :)
Rozzana
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Shattered Hand, Elune

Unread post by Rozzana »

They could use more of a shine, but I still prefer them overall. I think an element of dullness makes the gem appearance more believable imo. Some luster is in order, but the muted look is a lot less tacky and leaves more to build upon than the previous.

(( Also off topic Quiv, but your signature with Anduin. For a moment I thought that was a cap of Ted Cruz :lol: ))
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Wain wrote:No need to confirm every beast right now. Just a couple of checks on Wowhead, maybe, to confirm that the model has been updated for the old NPC. Thank you :)
Sounds good. I took a gander at the new tan beetle and it looks like only 2 of the 4 current copper beetles have the new model. Probably hit and miss right now.
Rozzana wrote:(( Also off topic Quiv, but your signature with Anduin. For a moment I thought that was a cap of Ted Cruz :lol: ))
:lol:
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

New baby Direhorn models

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

DOLPHINS.

Where's our Aquatic Pets Blizzard? ;_; Just add a naga NPC in Trueshot Lodge that explains they taught hunters how to sustain water bubbles for their pets.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Valnaaros wrote:New baby Direhorn models
It appears that they’re new colours of the existing model. There’s four new colours for the Zandalari baby raptor (the MoP one with the armour on it) too, but Wowhead didn’t report those. I’m hoping the new baby direhorn skins is a precursor to new adult direhorn colours too.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

I wonder if they'll be considering wild tameable version of these

Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

Gosh dang it, Quiv. Now I feel a mighty need to put the wibbly eyes on it and tweet it at the blizz devs. I would tame too many of those.

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

I would be over the moon if they decided to do that. The stone direhorns have such gorgeous colours, and this new expansion would be the perfect chance to add them back in as tameable beasties :D
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I'm really hoping for stone direhorns, too! The Zandalari rode them in MoP and they had to come from somewhere :)

A few of the new creature models have been given stone skin variants, which makes me wonder if there's a specific plan for them. If so, hopefully we'll see the direhorns there.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Wain wrote:
Valnaaros wrote:New baby Direhorn models
It appears that they’re new colours of the existing model. There’s four new colours for the Zandalari baby raptor (the MoP one with the armour on it) too, but Wowhead didn’t report those. I’m hoping the new baby direhorn skins is a precursor to new adult direhorn colours too.
Aye. I should've called them colors or variants instead of models. I'm aware that they have existed since MoP :)

I would love if a stone Direhorn was added! No reason for there not to be tamable versions :)