Battle for Azeroth Alpha/Beta General Thread

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Battle for Azeroth Alpha/Beta General Thread

Unread post by Vephriel »

Nachtwulf wrote:HYENAS ARE SO CUTE OMFG I WILL NEVER USE ANYTHING ELSE

except maybe a tarantula 'cause they're cute too
The new models really are growing on me, at least after spending time with them on beta. I'd mainly just like to see their fur textures adjusted to better reflect the originals at this point. But they have a lot of personality.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Xota wrote:"Blood elves are high elves" is enough of an explanation. Adding in that there's not very many high elves just weakens the case. There's got to be more high elves (eg: the Silver Covenant) than void elves, which came out of no-where. A VE only toy, like a low CD Orb of the Sin'Dorei, should satisfy people who want to play an alliance HE.
Yeah, I thought the exact same thing when I heard that :/ Unless VEs are breeding like tribbles there really can't be that many of them.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I imagine the High Elf reasoning is more based on the game than lore. To me, from a story perspective, it would make perfect sense. I just don't know if they wanted a third blood elf variant in game. I get the appeal of wanting the blue eyed elf, but since it has to be Alliance, that mean you practically have the same race on both factions, and we have so many elves.

That being said, I think it was doable. They could have went the Maghar Orc route, and made the new allied race be something like "Alliance Elves" where half the skins where high elf and half were void elf. Its a bigger stretch than Maghar but I think would have worked had they done this in the beginning. In full nonfaction gear its practically impossible to visually distinguish Alliance Void Elf apart from Horde Blood Elf now, so having High Elves wouldn't have caused any greater identification/silhouette problems (which apparently isn't much of a concern now anyway).
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Everywhere

Unread post by SlickrockGhost »

Wain wrote:Unless VEs are breeding like tribbles there really can't be that many of them.
Didn't you see the starting zone for them when they were released? they ARE! :lol:
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

SlickrockGhost wrote:
Wain wrote:Unless VEs are breeding like tribbles there really can't be that many of them.
Didn't you see the starting zone for them when they were released? they ARE! :lol:
Hah, no, I'm yet to do that :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Quiv wrote:I imagine the High Elf reasoning is more based on the game than lore.
There's this, but the folks pushing for HE's seem to want it more for lore/RP than for actual gameplay. There's much better places to go with races before we add more elves.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

It is implied that there might be more VEs being created via interested BEs and HEs, though this have never been outright confirmed. Either way, Ion shouldn't have brought up HE population or told those interested in playing a fair-skinned elf to go play Horde. The question asked was "When deciding on Allied Races, why did you choose Void Elves instead of High Elves?" He should've answered that question by explaining their decision and acknowledged the fact that there isn't a lot to VEs, but that will change in the future.

All of this could've been avoided if Blizz didn't have the HEs compose large sub factions and directly oppose the BEs in Wrath, MoP, and Legion. For example, they chould've made the Silver Covenant a Draenei Mage group. Would've given the Draenei more involvement in Alliance politics Post-TBC.
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Valnaaros wrote:Either way, Ion shouldn't have brought up HE population/quote]

Ion will never have the grasp on the audience that Metzen did..

Valnaaros wrote:they chould've made the Silver Covenant a Draenei Mage group.
Imagine the outcry if they retconned that now... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Oh yeah, people would be furious if they did that now :lol: It's just something that they should've/could've done back in the day.
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

That's my thought, it was rude the way he handled it. I would honestly rather play a high elf than a void elf. I keep trying them but just can't get into them. Add to that alliance got another "blue/purple" elf. If they can add the golden eyed variants for current blood elves because "lore" they shouldn't treat high elves as.. non existent lol what. There's not that many my ass, even in the VE area you see blood and high elves coming to basically become VE? The alliance is CRAWLING with high elves. The whole deal of making them different is kinda shit too, as was said about when they're both fully geared if you don't look super close you can't tell them apart. The night elves and nightborne at least for the most part look different enough you can tell them apart, stance wise too.

Honestly you shouldn't have shoved high elves down alliance players throats if you didn't want them to want to play them. Ion just has flimsy excuses that tbh make him look like an ass. You could have given them different hair styles or tattoos or some shit to make them look even more different. The want for high elves won't ever die, they should know that. That would have been a much better allied race than VE who came out of nowhere with no backstory. They weren't even relevant on Argus aside from Alleria. If you wanted a voidy race why not go with the Broken? Sure you woulda had two draenei allied races but the LF are... imo kind of a pitiful excuse for an allied race as is. If I don't look at the horns, I don't know its LF. You can't even really SEE their tattoos unless they're wearing a skimpy mog.

SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

One last elven comment... I suspect that the VE may have a bigger story in the next expac, considering it will be the Void one. There has to be more to why they added them.

Of course, they could have added them in the misguided expectation that if Alleria transformed, people would clamor for her transformation to be playable.
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Totally different Allied Race note... love the brown orcs, to the point that my token Horde hunter will be one, much to the chargrin of my poor tauren hunter that was gonna become Highmountain.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

@ Silivren. That's the point, basically. Original lore stated that there were very, very few HEs left after the Scourge decimated them. Despite that, we have all of these HE lodges and factions composed of HEs. Blizz should've had very few HEs appear in WoW if they never wanted for them to become playable. The want for HEs will never die and perhaps someday they'll be made playable (I don't particularly care about having them myself), though Ion has stated twice that it won't happen, so we'll see.

@Slick. Agreed, I suspect/hope that they'll do more with VEs in the future. Honestly, giving them a lot of involvement in Alliance stories will help.
Silivren

Oh yeah, I get that. My point was they just destroyed their own idea lol. Ion can keep saying it wont happen, but he agitated the situation more lol. He should have known better, but he's no Metzen. I liked Metzen, Ion is a.. well a word I won't say. We'll just say he isn't very personable. I'd like them because well, I like high elves and just think he's making up bullshit excuses lol.

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Silivren wrote:...
If you wanted a voidy race why not go with the Broken? Sure you woulda had two draenei allied races but the LF are... imo kind of a pitiful excuse for an allied race as is. If I don't look at the horns, I don't know its LF. You can't even really SEE their tattoos unless they're wearing a skimpy mog.
Exactly. LF are pulled out of the air, just like VE. It's mostly new horns and hair. Stuff that could have been new customization options. The Broken would have been great. There's already a significant population of Broken, which are somewhat affiliated with the Alliance. Outland and Draenor Broken have different feet, but that's not that big of deal. Not only are some Broken void touched, but the Broken are the original vector for Alliance having shaman. There's still a possibility that the Broken could be an allied race eventually, but this patch would have been an ideal time to include them.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Make all races neutral .. there done with the debate :P. I always hated the horde vs allience thing. I liked when I used to play everquest that I could group with all races. Just could not enter their cities. .unless i grinded for rep so I could enter. They even had pvp which I don't know how worked as I never pvp. ..I know wow don't work like that but I still think ppl should be able to grp up... but that's just me :D and since it's highly unlikly that I will play again my opinion really should not matter :lol:

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I agree that Broken would've been a better option, along with Vrykul. Highmountains and LFs could've and should've been additional customization options for Draenei and Tauren. The Alliance could've gotten Broken and Vrykul (both of which have much more lore to them). The Horde could've gotten Ogres instead of Highmountains.
Silivren

I admit, I'm probably in the minority of Kul'tirans being a dream come true for me. After getting into beta and being around them I ADORE them and they'll likely be my favorite race. I guess they could have been added to regular humans and under that you could have picked region to differentiate between the two. I'd have wanted an alternate voice though too because the KT voices are amazing. BUT if we didn't get KT we wouldn't be getting those amazing druid forms, never seen anything like those. they're my fav druid forms by far. I'd still like Vrykul eventually and Broken.

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I love Kul Tirans and they're going to be a serious drain on my pocketbook once I get them unlocked. NRGH.

Also, re: 'void elves have no lore'...not exactly true, as up until a short time ago they were legit blood elves aka high elves, and thus have TONS of lore.

Know who didn't have any lore when they were introduced? Draenei. Draenei had crap-all for lore when they were brought in, and in fact their entire existence was retconned in at basically the 12th hour just for BC. It wasn't until legit WoD that they'd written in enough to make them feel like anything more than 'we want Alliance to have a race that looks like demons but they're TOTALLY GOOD INSTEAD MANG. EDGY!!!11!' I also remember Alliance players griping EXTENSIVELY about how the Horde got this wonderful, richly-developed race and Alliance got Something Blizzard Just Made Up.

Ain't anything they haven't done before.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

That's true, and I've mentioned that on a thread a while back. BE and HE lore is VE lore. What bothers people is that these VEs came out of nowhere without much buildup other than Alleria, and thus far haven't had a lot of involvement in BfA outside of the Siege of UC.

I agree about the Draenei and their retconned lore.