[speculation] if the Ankoan become an allied race...

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

[speculation] if the Ankoan become an allied race...

Unread post by pop »

Ankoan Hunter would start with either a Ray or a Tidal Guardian.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Re: [speculation] if the Ankoan become an allied race...

Unread post by Qraljar »

Depending on how they look ingame, I'd really like to see them become playable. Much more so than, say, Lightbound Undead or Junker Gnomes (two things people keep mentioning for the Alliance)

I feel like there's a lot of potential to make them cool. They seem to have bioluminescent spots, and they kind of have a samurai aesthetic going on? Pretty wicked, if I have to judge based on concept art alone. Definitely excited to see their model and if they are capable of wearing gear. (like the clearly slated to become playable vulpera can)

I can see a lot of cool customization based on said bioluminescence alone. Color and pattern, and of course there's various fish they could go with for the face customization.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Either pet option would make a lot of sense :) Or even an abyss worm. If they do become an allied race, it could mean Jinyu will also, at some point. They'd probably start with a water strider water sinker.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Agreed. Either of those pets would be a good choice as a starter pet.

I'm hoping that they go with Ankoan for Alliance rather than Junker Gnomes or Lightbound Undead (though I would love Sethrak, as unlikely as it is). Much more unique and interesting from what we currently know. The only thing that could be in the way of them being playable (assuming that this is still the lore for them) is their population. According to Blizzard (at last Blizzcon), they are on the verge of extinction and do not care anymore about reproducing or ensuring their race's survival. Of course, Blizz has not shown any care about population numbers for a very long time, seeing as we have the Blood Elves, Gnomes, Lightforged, Darkspear, and Void Elves as playable options and their numbers were rather low when they were introduced (and in most cases have only dwindled since). Still, it is part of their background and we'll see if it stands in the way of them being made playable.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Wain wrote:They'd probably start with a water strider water sinker.
:lol:

I'd really love to have Jinyu!
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Ankoan will likely suffer from the same issue as Jinyu: No female model, and based on the concept art, they will likely just be reskinned Jinyu, and Jinyu use the OLD Night Elf Skeleton.

They aren't likely to be valid as an Allied Race.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Some Ankoan models

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

So yea, reskinned Jinyu. Jinyu still use the old Night Elf skeleton, so an Allied Race is off the table.

Whereas they just went through the trouble of making a female gilgoblin, which most likely means we're looking at Mechagnomes and Gilgoblins as the next allied race pair.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Myzou wrote:So yea, reskinned Jinyu. Jinyu still use the old Night Elf skeleton, so an Allied Race is off the table.

Whereas they just went through the trouble of making a female gilgoblin, which most likely means we're looking at Mechagnomes and Gilgoblins as the next allied race pair.
Possibly. They did also add a Brewfest icon for many of the playable races, including Vulpera, so that may still be the next Horde allied race. They might also gauge their decision based off of player response, which they did say they were taking into account.

One problem that I see with Mechagnomes is that the only armor that shows on their current models is chest and shoulders.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Myzou wrote:So yea, reskinned Jinyu. Jinyu still use the old Night Elf skeleton, so an Allied Race is off the table.

Please god let us get Gilblins instead of Vulpera.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Vephriel wrote:

You and me both.
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

Valnaaros wrote:
Vephriel wrote:

You and me both.
They added a Vulpera brewfest thing so who knows. I still want the snakes, but that may be a pipe dream T_T
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

The female Gilgoblin looks like they've been holding on to it since Cataclysm. If they were planning to make Gilgoblins playable, they'd probably have worked off the updated Goblin model that they're gonna add in 8.2.5 for them.

Since Mechagnomes got added to the chr files, they're all but confirmed at this point.

So Mechagnomes and Vulpera. I'm really not a fan, essentially Mechagnomes/Junker Gnomes are like Lightforged and Highmountain, a + version of an existing race. Hopefully, if people making enough noise about wanting Ankoan, it's still possible for a later patch in the expansion. Until then, it looks unlikely, even though narratively speaking, they're pretty much the epitome of what the allied race system is supposed to be.

Ankoan use the new Night Elf skeleton by the way, not the old one.
Last edited by Qraljar on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Yeah, I don't have that much optimism in the idea, I just want anything but Vulpera. -_-
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Vephriel wrote:

Please god let us have anything other than Gilblins. Sorry I dislike them XD

Murlocs now that would be the best race.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

I'll take the Vulpera but I really don't need another Horde alt :( No excitement at all for tinker / cyborg gnomes. Just not a clockwork / steampunk fan. At least the tidal stallions look awesome. Maybe they'll let us tame some.
Skycaller
Realm: Firetree-US

Unread post by Skycaller »

Bulletdance wrote:
Valnaaros wrote:
Vephriel wrote: Please god let us get Gilblins instead of Vulpera.
You and me both.
They added a Vulpera brewfest thing so who knows. I still want the snakes, but that may be a pipe dream T_T
Hello fellow sethrak supporter, while on the topic of allied races and their hunter pets, what do you think of a special krolusk that is classified as a beetle as their starter pet? The nightborne got a fancy looking mana saber as a "cat" pet.

As for Ankoan, if they become an allied race my money is either a Ray or Snap Dragon as their starter pet, leaning towards Ray though.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I would also love if Sethrak were to be made playable (for Alliance, as unlikely as that is). My guess would probably be a Krolusk that, like you said, has a special classification.
Skycaller
Realm: Firetree-US

Unread post by Skycaller »

Was looking at the wowhead model viewer, those snapdragons use Feral/Cat Form animation. Ankoan druids possible?
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Skycaller wrote:Was looking at the wowhead model viewer, those snapdragons use Feral/Cat Form animation. Ankoan druids possible?
Potentially. Will have to see what their culture is like. One of the mount flavor texts does say that they do use aquatic beasts against the Naga. Maybe some have taken it a step further and have become aquatic beasts.