8.1.5 - special NPCs retain names when tamed

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

8.1.5 - special NPCs retain names when tamed

Unread post by Wain »

In this new build, if you tame some special, named NPCs (possibly only rares at this stage?), they'll retain their original names when tamed, rather than take on a generic family name.

BUT unlike Hati you can rename them afterwards. (Hati can now be renamed too!)

One nicety of this system is that it will allow you to retain names that have characters that you can't use in renaming, like apostrophes:

So far I've only noticed this change on rare NPCs, and I haven't tested older rares. Perhaps all named NPCs should do this, and I'm just checking if this is the intent. Are there any NPCs you feel should use this feature but currently don't? I'll start a list below.
Attachments
aktar.jpg
aktar.jpg (201.1 KiB) Viewed 8560 times
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: 9.1.5 - named NPCs retain names when tamed

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Nice! I wouldn't use the feature myself, but a neat thing for those that like to keep the pet's original name :)

Also, I didn't know we were in the next xpac *points at title* ;D

Edit: Also, Hati can be renamed with this build :)
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Re: 9.1.5 - named NPCs retain names when tamed

Unread post by Quiv »

On one hand I'm kinda glad we can rename Hati. I like the name is retained when tamed, thats a cool touch, but taking that choice away felt bad to me.
Wain wrote:9.1.5
I guess Wain joined the Timewalkers.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: 8.1.5 - named NPCs retain names when tamed

Unread post by Wain »

Oops, fixed the title ;)
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: 8.1.5 - named NPCs retain names when tamed

Unread post by Vephriel »

Oh wow, that's a really neat change! Feels like they listen to some of the little suggestions that go around, I remember someone mentioning that (mainly in regards to Loque) very recently. I tend to give all of my pets unique names anyways but I'm happy to see this make it in as an option. :)
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Re: 8.1.5 - special NPCs retain names when tamed

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Nice, I can finally make my spirit beasts have their correct names. Drove me nuts, especially for pets with ' and -. It feels incredibly wrong to rename something with an established name, just like calling your teacher "mom" by accident.

...We CAN simply use a rename scroll on them to fix them, yes? Or at least some other means of removing nicknames and using the correct names? No way in hell am I going out and retaming 20+ pets, especially not Loque again. Even with the server hop method, it took me 3 days for my current Loque.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote:Nice, I can finally make my spirit beasts have their correct names. Drove me nuts, especially for pets with ' and -. It feels incredibly wrong to rename something with an established name, just like calling your teacher "mom" by accident.

...We CAN simply use a rename scroll on them to fix them, yes? Or at least some other means of removing nicknames and using the correct names? No way in hell am I going out and retaming 20+ pets, especially not Loque again. Even with the server hop method, it took me 3 days for my current Loque.
I'm not sure. You still can't use apostrophes and spaces in names, so you can't give them their in-game names using the rename facility. If there was a way of setting an NPC to its default name maybe that would work.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

This is very exciting! I really love the idea of letting named beasts retain their identity! I too hope there will be a way to revert tamed beasts, since I don't want to retame Loque. However, if this is the case that you have to retame, my toons on Earthen Ring - alliance will be happy to help with the server hopping, should anyone need it. I can find Loque pretty quickly that way :)
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Wain wrote: I'm not sure. You still can't use apostrophes and spaces in names, so you can't give them their in-game names using the rename facility. If there was a way of setting an NPC to its default name maybe that would work.
Yeah, that would be a wonderful feature. Considering Hunter is the only class getting any love at all since Beta for Azeroth started, there's hope for such a thing to become real. I really don't want to tame Loque yet again just to have the correct name.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Oh, this is cool.

I also like that you can rename Hati now. I am not fond of chipping away at Hati's identity, but I really do want to have the dark blue Hati and call him Skoll. :D
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

WerebearGuy wrote: No way in hell am I going out and retaming 20+ pets, especially not Loque again. Even with the server hop method, it took me 3 days for my current Loque.
If you DO have to rename them, I have found Loq on 9 different occasions simply being on Warmode. Nor usually on Sat or Sundays, but during the week. Times range between early ass in the morning, middle of the afternoon, to late in the night.
Most hunters just dont want to go out for him on WM I guess, in fear of being ganked while waiting. Understandable I guess... But it's currently the easiest way to find him :>

Siggy under construction!

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Minor suggestion for the site; if this feature actually stays implemented, and isn't harshly neglected in that it applies to all named beasts, a page on the main site would be nice to find named pets. The Rare and Special section kind of feels old at this point too, but named beasts would be a nice addition.

EDIT:
Pets I've found that retain their name:
Sewer Beast
Lamepaw the Whimperer
Mother Fang
Snoot the Rooter
Grizzled Ben
Lightning Paw
Mahamba (Tested only because it was <The Water Spirit>, but it didn't keep that part)
Tsul'Kalu (assumed, wasn't up when I went there)

TL:DR, any rare beast with a name keeps the name, confirmed. Non-rares, such as Bhag'thera and King Bangalash don't keep their names. Gotta report those, or at least appeal for special named beasts to be tameable.

Note: I only looked for pets with more than a single word for a name since you can easily type single-word names already.
Nazja
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Nazja »

Seems like I will have to tame Loque'nahak a third time, unless pets tamed before 8.1.5 that haven't been renamed yet default to their actual names too, instead of their family names.

Either way, this is really great for all the rares that have apostrophes in their names (and trolls, since most of these pets have ties to trolls or their religion).
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Reminds me of the time when tameable rares and elite used to retain their dragon frame after we tamed them.
Tsukina
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shen'dralar

Unread post by Tsukina »

I first apologize for my English as an automatic translator.

Anyone tried if that works with numbers? I refer to the mechanical feline P4-N73R4 (if I'm weird but in spite of having 5 sabertrons, in the end the one I carry with me is more common with mechanical cats).
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Tsukina wrote:I first apologize for my English as an automatic translator.

Anyone tried if that works with numbers? I refer to the mechanical feline P4-N73R4 (if I'm weird but in spite of having 5 sabertrons, in the end the one I carry with me is more common with mechanical cats).
Yes, he keeps the numbers :D

Tsukina
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shen'dralar

Unread post by Tsukina »

Quiv wrote:
Tsukina wrote:I first apologize for my English as an automatic translator.

Yes, he keeps the numbers :D

Thank you very much for checking, you have given me a joy, I know where to disconnect my hunt the day before 8.1.5 xd
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

How many reports/suggestions on the PTR will it take to get them to consider keeping visual effects too? All this spoiling for Hunters is great, but it's basically time to just go nuts with what Hunters can have.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Is there a chance weaponized rabbot from New Tinkertown, the pink sentient mechano-strider. A-me-2 the mech gorilla, N. U. T. Z the mech squirrel, and mechanical axe beak from Draenor gets to keep their names?
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Wait.. his name is p4?!

AAAAAAAAAAA

Siggy under construction!